It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: CRD SFA No turning back
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

JeepBumm68 wrote:
hey man its looking like progress finally lol.

We got the crd rolling here finally. Not to happy with the finished product. So next summer, we are throwing FW d44 and d60 under it. Also going to re do the stiffeners, and the front coilover mounts.

Get that thing done so we are not the only CRD on here with an dang SFA lol

I hear ya man!!
It looks good what you done. What did you not like about your build? A friend was trying to talk me into using the HP 30 with the 2.5" aluminum spacers, he thought the dana 30 had enough strength to work fine with the spacers. I was about to go the dana 30 route with a bridge to support the extra weight from the diesel, but i found this beat up f250 parts truck so went this way. I have also redone the steering box on mine. Mine was not out far enough, the inner cooler radiator and big water hose is in the way. i have pulled it down and out about another 1.5". The drag link was too close to the tie rod. almost needed an inverted pitman arm. LOL. Not much room to work with on that part.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:03 pm 
LOST Addict

I hear ya man!!
It looks good what you done. What did you not like about your build? A friend was trying to talk me into using the HP 30 with the 2.5" aluminum spacers, he thought the dana 30 had enough strength to work fine with the spacers. I was about to go the dana 30 route with a bridge to support the extra weight from the diesel, but i found this beat up f250 parts truck so went this way. I have also redone the steering box on mine. Mine was not out far enough, the inner cooler radiator and big water hose is in the way. i have pulled it down and out about another 1.5". The drag link was too close to the tie rod. almost needed an inverted pitman arm. LOL. Not much room to work with on that part.[/quote]

Thanks man! There are some things I don't like. One is, with the CRD I believe FW is the only way to go, to have the SFA setup properly, two building independent motor mounts in it, and getting rid of the whole cradle, three inboarding the steering box so that it can be done like the Gassers SFA's. We are going to pull the motor sometime next year so we can get inside the frame rails and work on the motor mounts. Gonna also inboard the steering box into the front unibody frame so we can get it tucked in more, but still have it dropped for steering geometry. If you had to stay with stock width axles, coilovers is the only option. And let me tell you getting them set where they need to be was a pain in the arse. I know the whole the steering box issues with the intercooler, and lines. It was a pain in the booty. If you want better pictures on how we setup are's and the steering box cross frame brace let me know. If you want any close up pics let me know, and if you want any more info. There are things I am keeping out lol

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Jeepbumm for the offer, I will be hollarin at you. I'm goin to start working on the front again, soon.

I did more work on the rear axle today, got hte ARB finished and found longer stud bolts for the disc conversion.

I ordered a truss from Ballistic, It showed up this afternoon.

Tomorrow I can start some welding and bracket positioning.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I started on the 4 link suspension over the weekend.
Reinforcment for the bracket.

Cut this off the stock axle,

A shot from upstairs.

A shot of the front. Drooping.

Front coil bucket.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:31 pm 
LOST Addict

looking good man. Moving along at a good pace, and looks like you are doing what I wish we could have done to the libby lol.

Granted We are uping something on are's here very soon lol. the arms look good, and same frame supports

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Swaybar.
I've started looking at swaybars and have noticed Swayloc, it has a dual setting for off road or on road, with either a air accuator or a lever. I was originally looking at Currie Anti-Rock for front and rear, but know I'm curious if any one is familiar with the swayloc?
I know I can get from currie a 36" for thre rear and a 32" for the front. Haven't found any specs or a universal kit for the swayloc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

imgoin wrote:
Swaybar.
I've started looking at swaybars and have noticed Swayloc, it has a dual setting for off road or on road, with either a air accuator or a lever. I was originally looking at Currie Anti-Rock for front and rear, but know I'm curious if any one is familiar with the swayloc?
I know I can get from currie a 36" for thre rear and a 32" for the front. Haven't found any specs or a universal kit for the swayloc.

Don't get the swayloc,they are known to break the torsion bar.The AR is a much better setup that many love.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
imgoin wrote:
Swaybar.

Don't get the swayloc,they are known to break the torsion bar.The AR is a much better setup that many love.

Thanks!
I found some reviews and there was a couple of complaintants about the torsion bar breaking.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Maybe a dumb question but what do you plan to do if you hit a rock or something and the silicon between the truss and the front housing leaks with it welded on like that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 pm 
LOST Addict

That truss system acts as a second barrier between the diff housing and the diff cover. But cause of its tolerance and the tq on the diff cover and truss system, it wont leak. It is meant to take hard hits and be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ya, same as jeepbum said.
Once the truss was welded in I am not to worried about a rock moving that bracket. If I hit a rock hard enough to cause that problem, I'm sure that will be a minor problem in comparison to any other damage. I have the heavy iron covers that will be put on later, just not there yet.

One problem I did have by welding the truss & ring on; I am ready to put the carrier back in with the ARB locker. And I couldn't find my markings for the bearing caps, I know I had a pic of the locating marks, but could not find them when I needed them. So yes I cut the bottom off. If this is my worst mess up I will be happy. But I am sure there are more to come. LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 am 
LOST Newbie

I had some time to put the front axle together, it took me a while to get all of the parts rounded up for the front axle overhaul. But it is together, 95%, I have to build the tierod.

Got the ARB in and shimmed.

Polyperformance had the Solid covers for $65 with a 10% off at a new year sale. couldn't resist.

Finally was able to put the tire and wheel on for a first peek and a clearance check.

I think I have the steering issue figured out. The radiator hose is a pain to work around.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:52 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Looks like its starting to all come together
looking good
Full widths are the only way to go! .....IMO :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Looks like its starting to all come together
looking good
Full widths are the only way to go! .....IMO :wink:

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:48 pm 
LOST Addict

It is looking good. Now I know what the CRD well look like when we finally get off are butt's and take the D44/D60 combo we have for it in the garage and stick it in now lol. Oh ya, it is already back under the knife lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Back at it again.
I run into a snag about every other hour that i work on this project. Comes a time where I just walk away and clear my mind. LOL Stew on the problem for a couple of days and go at it another route.

Got the steering in.

Drag link.

Spring perch.

Modifying the spring retainer, one size fits all.

Inspection.

Approval?

I have the front and rear swaybars in and will get some more pics up maybe sunday nite.
I'm working on brake lines, sterring hoses, radiator hose and parking brake this weekend.
Yee Haw.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:shock:

Simply Amazing!!!
Cannot wait to see it out on the road
:JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
:shock:

Simply Amazing!!!
Cannot wait to see it out on the road
:JEEPIN:

I can't wait to get on the road or trail either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Glad to see ya working back on it again bro. That thing is looking sick. i can't wait to throw the FW's I have sitting in the garage under the KJ here in a week lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

JeepBumm68 wrote:
Glad to see ya working back on it again bro. That thing is looking sick. i can't wait to throw the FW's I have sitting in the garage under the KJ here in a week lol

You have broken the ice, should be a lot easier this go around.
I think you have more room to work with also.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next