It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SFA kit price
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

I saw this in a recent magazine and when i read your post this pic came to mind.

This is a FC Jeep with a slight modification.

The 4 link triangulated rear I made was a bit of a pain to put together, But I like the way it has turned out so far. It has good articulation, just picking it up with out the coils on. Seems to articulate a little better than the front with the 3 link. I may need to put a cross member where the rear link brackets mount to the frame, just to keep the frame from twisting or bulging out. I'll find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

dirtrulz wrote:
I already have 3 ktm dirtbikes, and a couple others, dont need any more, wife would kill me.

I completely understand. My wife gave up quite a few years ago.
I try my wifes patience to the extreme at times. I ride my 525 exc on 2-4 week trips in the summer and fall, Several times I've ended up 1000 miles from and break down or just get tired and have to call her to come pick me up. Not to hijack your thread but thought you might like this report my friend put together of a trip last Sept.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626506

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I would love to do a major trip like that. Never seem to have the time though. Too much to do and too little time. Too many toys and not enough time to play with them. My collection an 04 ktm 450 mxc, an 04 ktm 625 sxc with motard and dirt setup, a 95 ktm 400 exc, an 02 V-strom 1000, an 08 polaris ranger rzr,and some misc mountain bikes. Am trying to talk the wife into a couple of snowmobiles but so far she hasnt gone for it. I go by the saying that you shouldnt ride anything without a motor unless you can have a conversation with it.

I was thinking of a suspension like the one you pictured. Was thinking you could run the long arms on the top and the short on the bottom to gain some clearance for rocks and such. Run the mounts toward the inside of the frame rails so there would be nothing hanging down. Make the front and rear arms the same length so you would basically have to make a left and a right, would lower the manufacturing cost. If you make the arms as long as possible you would limit the amount the coils would bend on extension. The arm brackets would be the same way, a left and a right, all you have to change is the mounting to fit different diameter axle housings. Other than that all you would need was the brackets for the panhard bar. Granted four link setups would likely work better for the extreme travel crowd but I have seem some early brocos that have major travel in the front with the original trailing arm setup so dont see why it wouldnt work well. Just brainstorming ideas.

Oh yea, where did you get that headlight setup, does it put out good light. That would be perfect for my 625.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:21 am 
LOST Newbie

dirtrulz wrote:
Was thinking you could run the long arms on the top and the short on the bottom to gain some clearance for rocks and such. Run the mounts toward the inside of the frame rails so there would be nothing hanging down. Make the front and rear arms the same length so you would basically have to make a left and a right, would lower the manufacturing cost. If you make the arms as long as possible you would limit the amount the coils would bend on extension. The arm brackets would be the same way, a left and a right, all you have to change is the mounting to fit different diameter axle housings. Other than that all you would need was the brackets for the panhard bar.

Oh yea, where did you get that headlight setup, does it put out good light. That would be perfect for my 625.

3 link rear, Seems like a good idea. I think it might be a little simpleler. The tracbar or panhard bar can give you a little more adjustment on side to side.

The KTM headlight is from Brittania Composites in Canada. The lights are Hella and I think 55 watts each, so 110 watts. I had to rewire my stator from the 40 watt stock output to 260 watts to handle the draw. Otherwise the little battery would drain in about 5-10 minutes. At low rpm's it will still drain in about one hour, have to keep the motor revving to 3000+, or no e-start the next morn. Yes night and day difference between the hellas and the baja design single. Biggest problem when riding offroad at night on a dirtbike is the deer and wildlife jumping in front of you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

After tons of talking the boss is still undecided. At least it wasnt a hell no. I am still thinking I may work on it in my offtime ad see what I can show him.