It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T-case Thoughts....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looking at the NVG241OR RocTrac (Rubicon) 4:1 t-case for the KJ now as an upgrade, any thoughts on whether it will fit in the area currently held by the NP231 or will some tub stretching be needed or lowering of the tranny to allow fitment? I know it fits in the 42RLE tranny that I have, or at least from all accounts I've read on the 42RLE it should...but any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

Also if I don't do the swap maybe I'll have a rebuild on the current setup to include the Tera 4:1 upgrade gear reduction for the NP231.

I'm still researching both ideas but wanted to get some feedback here, thanks!

-Scott

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

Post subject: Re: T-case Thoughts....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's a direct bolt on,though the t-case shifter will be reversed so to be in 2wd your t-case shifter will be in 4low and to be in 4low the shifter will be in 2wd.Of course driveshaft mods will be needed.

Skip the terra low option,not worth it as it's as much or more then what you can get a RockTrac t-case for and the terra low has it's issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes the driveshafts would then be the next question, I have Tom Woods currently so I'm wondering... since it is a direct bolt in, distances will be off, let's say at the most a couple of inches after the proper SYEs are added to the t-case??? Would having them rebalanced for the new distance (t-case to axle) work or would new shafts actually have to be created, is there another variable here I'm overlooking perhaps?

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You will need to measure for proper driveshaft length and either ship back your TW shafts and have them lengthened/shortened or take them to a local driveshaft shop and have them redone.The t-case side of the shafts will be different what you currenty have now as the rear is a flange style yoke and the front is a 1330 yoke on a RockTrac.There is nothing special about TW shafts besides the higher price paid for the name,all use Spicer parts anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i'm running the Rubi case and it fits great. So well in fact that we were able to run a flat skid under it w/ no trans tunnel/floor clearance issues. reverse shifter isn't a big deal and feels normal after the 1st couple uses. freaks people that know how it should look though and they ask why in 4wd on street..... :-)r

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm starting to think we should have a SFA KJ Rally....hmmmm

JJ, are you using the stock yokes on the Rubi T-case or did you modify them to accomodate new driveshafts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Are there any other transfer case upgrades capable of being swapped into the KJ without much modification? Maybe the new atlas 4 or is the outputs on the wrong side or even just upgrading another type to the rubi case standards and swapping it in? Options please?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

audiboy86 wrote:
Are there any other transfer case upgrades capable of being swapped into the KJ without much modification? Maybe the new atlas 4 or is the outputs on the wrong side or even just upgrading another type to the rubi case standards and swapping it in? Options please?

If you have the 45RFE or 545RFE trans you can not use the Atlas 4 speed,the only trans that can not mate to the 4 speed otherwise I would have the 4 speed in my KJ already.You can run a regular Atlas 2 speed but will have to know which output shaft your trans has since there are 3 different ones.

If you have the 42RLE the Atlas 4 speed is good to go,you can even use the RubiCrawler also.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:59 pm 
LOST Addict

The atlas 2 is a twin stick design though i would have to do some cutting to get it to fit. The reason i ask is because i have a leak in my current one and dont know if i would rather just replace the seal or upgrade. I know both are definitely not and easy task and one would be a big benifit. But how are would it be to fit the atlas 2 in the liberty and has it ever been done?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

audiboy86 wrote:
The atlas 2 is a twin stick design though i would have to do some cutting to get it to fit. The reason i ask is because i have a leak in my current one and dont know if i would rather just replace the seal or upgrade. I know both are definitely not and easy task and one would be a big benifit. But how are would it be to fit the atlas 2 in the liberty and has it ever been done?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

I've been following this thread with great interest, as I'll be looking at a T-case mod
at some point. I like the Atlas 2, but think I can handle the Tera mods on my own, as I've torn
apart an NP231 before. Also, I could do the mods in stages, starting with the 4 to 1
conversion then adding the 2 Low, & SLE later.

The only trouble I'm having is finding pricing for these parts for the Liberty.

Are these kits even available for Liberty NP231?

Is the NP231 in the Liberty the same as that in a Grand Cherokee, or Wrangler?

Is it even cost effective to do all the mods to the NP231 as opposed to purchasing
an Atlas outright?

Just thinking allot, as I don't have anything else I can do right now.
Any information and/or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Bass Player Extraordinaire, Keeper of the Eternal Flame
of the Immortals, Master Swordsman, The "5th" Beatle,
Expert Marksman, Stand-up Comedian, Martial Artist,
Jeep owner, and all around swell guy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:41 am 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Skip the terra low option,not worth it as it's as much or more then what you can get a RockTrac t-case for and the terra low has it's issues.

As you can see the tera low option may not be the nest of ideas it maybe more of a pain then it is worth and not cost effective at all. And what issues were you referring to Troy and what kinda of money are we talking about for a terra low kit?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

audiboy86 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

As you can see the tera low option may not be the nest of ideas it maybe more of a pain then it is worth and not cost effective at all. And what issues were you referring to Troy and what kinda of money are we talking about for a terra low kit?

Well your looking at about $1200 or so for the kit alone,add labor if someone else installs it.Positive it requires a modified rear driveshaft.It does not like being spun at high rpm's,they had big issues with there kits exploding t-cases when the rpm's increased(3000+rpm's for the engine).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:29 pm 
LOST Addict

I got to thinking about this while looking at and article writen by 4wheel drive and Sport Utility magazine they did and NP231 with the Klune V Drive. This might be a possible combo that i could afford to do with the amount of NP231 available. Any thought on it there is a complete write up on thier website and the Klune can be had for around 1500 bucks and i can pull a NP231 for around 500. So that is 2000 for a better off-road transfer case. Any thoughts on this?

Or the NP231 Crawler Box?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

audiboy86 wrote:
I got to thinking about this while looking at and article writen by 4wheel drive and Sport Utility magazine they did and NP231 with the Klune V Drive. This might be a possible combo that i could afford to do with the amount of NP231 available. Any thought on it there is a complete write up on thier website and the Klune can be had for around 1500 bucks and i can pull a NP231 for around 500. So that is 2000 for a better off-road transfer case. Any thoughts on this?

Or the NP231 Crawler Box?

For $300-$500 more you can get a AtlasII,still would need to modify F/R driveshafts eitherway.