It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaf Spring SFA??
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:26 am 
LOST Member

OK So I have gotten the inspiration from a friend of mine who did an axle swap on his XJ with Wagoneer D44s using leaf springs up front. Now I know I will need more lift than his XJ needed to do a SFA on my KJ. Now I know the base parts I will need already from reading through different build threads but my question is which leaf springs would be good,better,best for this type of project? I have been told YJ springs would work but my knowledge of leaf springs is very limited as in next to none. The rear hangers would be welded on and the unibody would be reinforced and the front hangers would be mounted as such:

So I guess before I try to figure out which leaf springs I guess I need to know if this would work on a KJ. I know the ride will probably be a little rougher but when this actually happens my KJ will be a trail rig/winter transport only.

Post subject: Re: Leaf Spring SFA??
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Its never been tried on the KJ. honesty after doing the SFA swap with CA's, coil overs, on standard width axles, it was a pain. The hardest part would be getting the steering to work with the leafs. It probably could be done. Just got look at it, measure how the leafs would sit, how the brackets would need to be made etc.

Also on the gasser motor you have a bit more room to play with, in terms of the steering box, front crossmember( no turbo hosing)

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

there is this guy but he has not loged on to tell his build

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:52 pm 
LOST Member

The same guys that did the leaf spring conversion on that XJ would be doing the work on my KJ too. They fabricated the brackets for the XJ so I would assume they could modify those to work with the KJ.

Hmm That is interesting. I didn't think any one had done the leaf spring conversion before. I won't be cheap with the build because I want it to last but I would only guess that leafs are less expensive than coil overs like all the others have used in their conversions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:10 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I'd like to see a full width done with coils, ala F150 mid/late 70s well up to 77 or so

But anything is possible, I don't like the looks of that black one pictured the way the springs stick way out there but is it works more power to him! :wink:

Difference in the KJ and XJ is the cradle etc in the KJ. Never looked under one with leaf springs in mind, always coils or coilovers. I have looked, measured and planned way too much :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:31 pm 
LOST Addict

wow. I never knew someone had leafed their KJ either. Props to him for getting it done!

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:46 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

tommudd wrote:
I'd like to see a full width done with coils, ala F150 mid/late 70s well up to 77 or so

:?:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rock Lizard wrote:
tommudd wrote:

must have meant to say he'd like to see one like that being wheeled. :JEEPIN:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

JJsKJ wrote:
Rock Lizard wrote:
tommudd wrote:

must have meant to say he'd like to see one like that being wheeled. :JEEPIN:

Be patient... mine is already scrathed, it will be a wheeler!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:28 pm 
LOST Addict

When we get the welding done to the 44/60 combo we have and get it under the jeep, we well have wheeling pics. Hard finding someone to weld right now lol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:37 am 

Rock Lizard wrote:
tommudd wrote:

I know I know hoping someone would slip some pictures to me

HINT HINT :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 am 
LOST Addict

That black one is ugly i dont see the point in leafing a KJ. First of all would the frame be able to take the motors wieght on 2 points not built for it on the Unibody? Second of all you ride would be horrible probably and i would much rather have and SFA as a capable DD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:28 am 
LOST Addict

Not really on the ride quality. My old YJ which was leaf sprung with OME Shocks, and Alcan springs rode like a caddy. A proper leaf setup can be pretty comfortable on the road.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:29 pm 
LOST Addict

would you be able to have less lift with a leaf spring sfa swap?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

audiboy86 wrote:
That black one is ugly i dont see the point in leafing a KJ. First of all would the frame be able to take the motors wieght on 2 points not built for it on the Unibody?

Well He likely Capped the Frame which you should probably do if you are doing a SAS anyways Then built his middle mountd off that. The Front shackle mounts appear to be well thought out No real good picture of what they did out back nut I say The more ways people do a SAS the more people will benefit from that knowledge, and the more affordable it may become. If you could weld had a set of Leafs around and a Axle You basically have it made. It would cut your cost down considerably if you could do most of the work yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I think the lift would be the same probably. Not to sure on that. Cause you have to have enough room for the steering to cycle during flex.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

How about doing a linked setup with quarter elliptical springs. That way there would be no spring hanging out the front. It would be easier and cheaper than coilovers, especially if a person wanted to run a narrow front end.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

i sw an 03 leaf sprung sas ram about a month ago. got me thinking about it for my kj. crazy its on here now. i like the black one. i think the only thing i would have done different is flip the shackle. but y never know, may not have been able to. if i could get my wife another daily driver i would start cutting on mine right now.