Liar!!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:23 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

USAFCOP wrote:
You said you wouldn't say anything!!!

I did? Have I ever told you my short term memory sucks? :twisted: Not like you will ever let me cut up your junk anyways. I think I know of the perfect donor HPD30 for your rig, if that person could ever get their dang full width 44 installed. :shock: Call me, slacker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

USAFCOP wrote:
You said you wouldn't say anything!!!

We know you love the attention Ted. :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:28 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks RL. I appreciate your input. I copy XJ HP-D30 with Waggy or YJ springs. I was thinking of a SUA setup, with a traditional shackle reversal crossmember & HD steering box bracket. But since your coming out with a new front bumper, I was toying with the possibility of mounting the spring holder to it instead (maybe notching it out of the bumper itself).

The question remains, how would you mount the brackets and such?

1. Bolt it in with anchor plates (sandwiched together),
2. Weld the reinforcement plates and mounts to the unibody, or
3, Both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:31 pm 
LOST Member

Okay, I'm trying to keep this leaf sprung SFA swap to under $2K. I've already aquired a TJ steering box and I've posted tons of want-ads on numerous boards for 97+ XJ HPD30 (preferably with tie-rod and drag link assembly) and YJ or Waggy front springs. I'm pretty much at a stand still on measurements until I acquire these parts.

I'm trying to keep the initial cost down. Probably SUA due to possible clearance issues. Like I said, I still don't possess enough parts to start the mock up process.

Later on when the budget permits I may run Dynatrac's High Clearance U-Bolt Kit or go SOA with a High Steer System and T&T Customs U-Bolt Eliminator Kit. Just wishful thinking for now. That stuff will come with time. The primary goal is to lose the IFS.

I'll probably purchase the steering shaft and and some HD lubeable shackles, possibly boomerang styled ones.

I've copied off of the Lizard and tried to mock up some cardboard pieces for visualization. I'll post pics for all to critique on the next post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:22 pm 
LOST Member

As stated in my previous post, I don't possess enough components to mock up actual pieces. This is not necessarily to scale. I just wanted to throw out my idea. Disregard the fact that the poster board is pink. It's just me, the wife and our 2 girls. Even the Chihuahua is a b*tch (no disrespect ladies), so bear with me!

This would be the driver's side frame rail bracket.

The large plate behind the spring hanger would be to mount the steering box. I would also install a steering box brace. M.O.R.E. sells kits to fab your own.

The square boxes represent the location of the square tubing that would be connected to the passenger side bracket and would add to the overall structural integrity.

You would bolt it vertically in the back where the IFS bracket is and horizontally thru the front end of the frame rail. I might have to cut the bracket length wise and sandwich the frame rails since the KJ frame rails have a big lip on one side. Maybe something like this but with one side being "L" shaped to bolt from underneath as stated earlier.

Eventually, we should also look at fabing up some unibody stiffners like those offered for the XJ.

It's amazing how far the XJ aftermarket has come. I remember how difficult it was for me to find a lift over 2.5" - 3". People always claimed the unibody would not hold up. Besides maybe Lizard and Mark from the O.R.G.S., everything else was Mickey Mouse. Look at 'em now. That'll be us one day boys. They'll come around. They always do. There are just too many KJs on the road to turn a blind eye.

A Jeep is a Jeep. Although, I must say, they've stretched the envelope even further with the introduction of the Compass.

Last edited by fdezone on Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hmmmm.....at 1st I thought this was a strange idea as I already really dig the TJ, XJ, ZJ style front suspension setups and figured it was just the most logical way to do a KJ SFA. The more I read the more I am liking this idea and I can't wait to see how it shakes out. I will still go w/ the coil overs and such but I love seeing different ideas and hope this one works out. You know, just for S's & G's, you should paint all the bracketry you build for this swap Pink! Sure would be an attention grabber! :lol:
Oh and as good as your pink cardboard mockup looks, I am betting this should turn out pretty nice when done. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:17 pm 
LOST Member

In theory it seems relatively easy. I'll most likely encounter some set backs and realize from past experience that I'll probably go over budget by around half of my original forecast. I'm aiming for 2K but it will probably end up at around 3K. Mainly from rebuilding the front-end, steering shaft, shackles, gears, & possibly lockers at this stage, but most importantly, from addressing the rear-end set-up to match. Oh, then some new meats. It's endless, that's why I'm trying to accomplish the initial swap now and make future improvements with time.

I really dig RL's idea to comp cut the rear end but relocating the gas tank in addition to the rear axle would definetly put me over budget. It can always be done at a later time. In addition to the comp cut, I'm also tinkering with the idea of flat or tube fenders tied in to the nerfs and steel bumpers (when they're released). Maybe something exoskeleton like this (but without the over-the-hood loop).

Tied in to a stubby front bumper like this.

I had thought of doing it XJ style with T&T Customs Y-Link Radius Arms or Rusty's arms, but it was something like $900 just for the arms. Nevermind the coilovers. That's over 2K right there. Needless to say, it killed my initial plan and I immediately sought out a more economical solution. There's nothing wrong with leaf springs. Most SFA swaps on Chevys, Toyotas, Nissans, etc. are leaf sprung.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rock Lizard wrote:
Leafs in the front would flex great and maintain stability. So in short, I think it would be a great project. If I were to build a KJ, front leafs wouldn't be a bad idea, and I would definately comp cut the rear and stretch that rear axle back, of course there would be full width axles under there too.:D

Front Leaf Springs are a good idea IMO. They tend to make a VERY STABLE rig.

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:31 pm 
LOST Member

Here's what I've come up with as far as parts list.

1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) High Pinion Dana 30 with Drag Link & Tie Rod Assembly
Jeep Wrangler (TJ) Steering Box with Stock Pitman Arm
1987-1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) Front Leaf Springs
Dynatrac High Clearance U-Bolt Kit (DA30-2X5796-B) ($159.00)
Rubicon Express Standard Spring Perch 2.5” (RE1935) ($24.95)
Rubicon Express Weld-On Drop Shock Mount (RE2025) ($30.95)
Rubicon Express 5” Greasable Angled Shackles (RE2775) ($76.95)
Steering Shaft
Steering Stabilizer ($30.00)
Wheel Spacers
Sway Bar Assembly with Quick Disconnects (?)

Future upgrades could include:

Currie Enterprises TJ/XJ Currectlync System (CE-9701) ($399.95)

- or -

SOA with Teraflex High Steer System

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sweet! Get busy!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any updates? I had some similar thoughts and would like to see how it turned out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

So has anyone been looking into or made any developments with this recently? My IFS broke again, and I was thinking how nice it would be to have a leaf-sprung SFA and just 31s or 32s, not much more lift than we got now, maybe 3.5-4.0" total lift in the rear end to match the front...no lockers, and I'd stay with current tires till they wear out...I'm talking budget :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:56 pm 
LOST Member

Now forgive me if this doesn't sound well thought out, but I've gotten rid of my Lib and don't have one at my disposal anymore to really think it through, but I had an idea that Marty actually suggested in an old post that leads me to believe it could be accomplished. This obviously wouldn't be as clean or well thought out as other SAS (those Nth products sure are sweet), but one of my ideas (in addition to a front leaf-sprung SAS and mind you, this would be geared more towards offroad than street) was to:

(1) Fab a stubby front bumper and push the front axle forward a few inches. You'd probably have to play with an assortmant of steering boxes to see what'll work. Before I got my EB (while searching for EB parts I decided to just buy the EB) I was thinking full width HP44/9" out of like a 78-79 Ford truck. I was thinking Ford radius arms or Cage arms with weld on tabs or wedges could have made quick work of this.

Stock or cheaper version components. (Free to ~ $500)

More expensive Cage components. (~ $750)

Example of how basic the set-up would be. (Obviously not a unibody.)

(2) Fuel cell & four-link conversion in the rear, this time pushing the rear axle rearwards.

The full-widths would give you a wider stance and better approach angles, while the swap would increase the wheel base. I would also hope it would allow the fitment of larger meats without raising the COG to severely. To keep the cost down I'd keep it simple and go with standard coils and shocks. My train of thought being that minimal axle bracketry would result in significant cost savings. Obviously, going with stock or easily available components would do the same. I've stated all along that you'd need to keep it simple to keep it affordable for the masses.

Again, nothing state-of-the-art or anything, just a simple, somewhat affordable conversion. It can be done nicely and still turn heads simply because it's a KJ. They're becoming increasingly dated, meaning that owners have paid them off and they're becoming easier to find at very affordable prices. I fully expect more and more people will start looking at KJs for these reasons as well as their drivetrain. I still recall all the trash talk I received when I first bought an XJ. They basically scoffed at it because of it's unibody design, now look at 'em.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd throw that out there for those contemplating the same.

For the record, do we know how much lift Jedi's, Seth's, and the camo painted SAS's netted and what size tires they went with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:25 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Hmm... some of those parts look similar to junk in my garage.... or Marty's shop.... :wink: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:17 am 
LOST Member

USAFCOP wrote:
Hmm... some of those parts look similar to junk in my garage.... or Marty's shop.... :wink: :roll:

:shock: Oh goody, we have a guinea pig to test the theory. Sounds like a deal. If you and Marty are on it then I predict we'll have a winner. Take plenty of pics won't ya. You can post up all the top secret squirrel stuff later when it debuts. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:38 pm 

No Ford style radius arms, but the coils and axles are right...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:27 am 
LOST Addict

Sorry off-topic: Hey USAFCOP, where did you get that avatar? I would love one like that. I have an Autobot logo on my Jeep.
Okay now back to your regularly scheduled program.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."