It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on full hydro steering?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Iv been reading quite a bit on this as jeepbumm68 pointed out in another topic theres not much room for.the box to be pushed forward. The main issue that the offroad community has been bringing up is that if the engine stalls the link to the steering is lost as is control of the vehicle, and nobody wants that. My answer to the issue is to replace the belt pump with a mr2 electric pump alowing control as long as the battery has charge. The axles im using are plenty strong enough to hold the pressure. Im keeping it open as an option if I cant find another way, anybody have any aditional thoughts?

COLORADO NATIVE

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on full hydro steering?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's scary driving at highway speeds,no road feel at all and wonders plus it's illegal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

About 12 years ago i built a truck with rear steer rockwell axle and used the electric pump to power the rear steer hydraulic cylinder. Used a double throw toggle switch on a grab bar handle down to the right side of the bucket seat. Worked great. Until i went wheeling in a deep canyon, got to a point where i had to push the 46" tiresinto the canyon wall to make a tight turn, the 12volt hydraulic pump couldn't push the cylinder enough to turn the tire into the wall. Back to the drawing board, this time i took off the air conditioner compressor and mounted a circle track dirt racer power steering pump. This allowed the original power steering pump to power the front and the new dirt tracker pump to power the rear, using a log splitter valve to direct fluid left or right. This worked great on the same trail that i had problems with before.
The front hydro steer was scarry going down the highway, just like Troy said.
I know its illegal in Texas as well, has to be hooked up mechanically.

However, it was very simple to hook up.

One last thought on the 12volt pump, depending on the size of the hyd ram, the pump cycle is slower than the power steering pump. It was ok on the rear steer, because a quick steer on the rear axle could get you in trouble fast, like driving a forklift. Lol

Last edited by imgoin on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:57 am 
LOST Newbie

The only other method I can see using the stock location is a double cross over setup with an offset bellcrank. Guess its time to dust off the old autocad and do it the hard way :evil:

COLORADO NATIVE