It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Leafed SFA KJ Parts (need help with the front)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Chino78 wrote:
blackwidowkj06 wrote:
Is that wide enough for the HP Dana 30? That can't be mounted on the frame of the KJ w/o having a nice HD custom bumper made. Probably will have a custom one made instead of buying from RL.

I'm not sure if it is wide enough, but I think it is. This kit was designed for S-10 Blazer, but I think it could fit the KJ (if the KJ uniframe is strength enough). The center to center distance between the the brackets of the hangers is 31" and is used with wagoneer leafs or any 2.5" wide leaf... In those pictures this kit is used with D44 wagoneer front axles that are like 2" wider than the XJ Dana 30, so I think it must fit, but sure you can custom made one, I only gave you some ideas on what you would need... :idea:

Guess it wouldn't hurt to try and measure. Probably will have a flat style front bumper made to have a place to mount what you mentioned OR have a place to mount shackles

I go to a Community College and thought about donating my Jeep to the auto tech dept. to do my SFA swap. Free labor :lol: Most of those guys already know what they're doing, just needing that degree to get a job. But then again BAD IDEA!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I will try to get together a final budget list tonight. So I'll have an idea what I need and plan when I can get it.

What do you all suggest I buy first?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

For Lockers I got an Aussie Locker in the front and Just kept the Crap-Loc LSD in the back that it came with, I will eventually put a ARB in the rear or Swap too 1-tons and cut the body right up into a Truggy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RED_KJ_666 wrote:
For Lockers I got an Aussie Locker in the front and Just kept the Crap-Loc LSD in the back that it came with, I will eventually put a ARB in the rear or Swap too 1-tons and cut the body right up into a Truggy.

Since I will be D.D. my Jeep if/when it's SFA, should I go with ARB lockers? I know you can turn them off/on but not the others. If that's the case, I'll have to hold out on the lockers for just abit.

In the process of making a NEW parts list.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah if your not going to have lockouts a auto locker is not the best choice for the front.A selectable locker is the better choice or a LSD like the DTT which can handle up to a 32"-33" tire.

I've had a ARB in my KJ since '06(now dual ARB's) and never once had a issue or failure which most complain about,that's about 40,000 miles worth and couldn't tell you how many miles on the trail.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Yeah if your not going to have lockouts a auto locker is not the best choice for the front.A selectable locker is the better choice or a LSD like the DTT which can handle up to a 32"-33" tire.

I've had a ARB in my KJ since '06(now dual ARB's) and never once had a issue or failure which most complain about,that's about 40,000 miles worth and couldn't tell you how many miles on the trail.

Guess I better save the pennies for front/rear ARB's

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rear Axle Parts:
-Gears
-Chrysler Dodge Plymouth 8.25 8-1/4 4.56 Ring & Pinion Nitro Gear (JUSTDIFFERENTIALS)
$220.50
-Chrysler Dodge Jeep 8.25" 8-1/4" Master Gear Install Kit Nitro Gear (JUSTDIFFERENTIALS)
$76.50
-Chrysler 8.25" 8-1/4" 10 Bolt Riddler HD Differential Cover (JUSTDIFFERENTIALS)
$124.20
-Shocks
-Bilstein Rear 5160 Series Reservoir Shock
For 84-01 Jeep® Cherokee XJ with 4" Lift
Quadratec Part No: 16070.3107
Manufacturer Part No: 25-187816
$199.99 X2
-Springs
-OldManEmu
OME 891’s (What RED_KJ_666 is using)
(Couldn’t find a site that sold them or a price on them)
-Lots of Custom work+Labor
$1,000
Rear total (so far): $1,821.18

Front Axle Parts:
-’90-’91 F350 Steering box (Price ???)
-Gears
-Dana Spicer 30 Reverse Rotation 4.56 Ring Pinion Nitro Gear (JUSTDIFFERENTIALS)
$143.99
-Dana 30 Front Master Gear Install Kit TJ, ZJ, WJ, 00-01 XJ Nitro Gear (JUSTDIFFERENTIALS)
$92.70
-Dana 30 HD Riddler Differential Cover (JUSTDIFFERENTIALS)
$99.00
-Shocks
-BILSTEIN Front 5100 Series Gas Shock Absorber
For 84-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, TJ Unlimited & Cherokee XJ with 4" Lift
Quadratec Part No: 16070.202
Manufacturer Part No: 24-188197
$79.99
-Leaf Springs
-Old Man Emu 2.5" Front Stock-Heavy Load Leaf Spring (QUADRATEC)
For 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ
Quadratec Part No: 16090.5032
Manufacturer Part No: CS014F
$73.99 X2
-Old Man Emu Leaf Spring Bushing Kit (QUADRATEC)
For 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ
Quadratec Part No: 16090.700
Manufacturer Part No: OMESB57
$29.99 X2
-HP Dana 30 axle from a XJ
(Not sure on what a reasonable price is for one, Friend told me $400)
-Custom HD front bumper to mount the hanger kit/Maybe RL’s HD front bumper (Price ???)
-Chevy S-10 Solid Axle Hanger Kit (if this doesn’t work, I’ll have a custom one made)
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=197
$219.00

-Lots of Custom work+labor
$1,000
Front total (so far): $2,322.63

Not sure on brakes, brake lines, brake pads, calipers etc…

Will be using XJ auto trans D-shaft and man trans D-shafts for the D-shafts on this project. Thanks to RED_KJ_666 for that tip to save me some more $$$ If not, I’ll have custom D-shafts made.

Still not sure on the slip yoke. I know RED_KJ_666 tried explaining it to me, but I got lost in what he was trying to get across to me. My Jeep is a 2006 Sport (built in ’05).

Right now, my complete total is at $4,100-ish; almost the price for a coil-over SFA. I might end up doing coil-overs, since that stuff has been figured out already. If it costs around as much as a leafed SFA, I will do coil-overs. Again, I’m just in the planning stage. I have PLENTY of time to decide if I want to do leafs like I planned or coil-overs. The ONLY thing stopping me from doing this is if I end up purchasing a 98-02 Jeep Wrangler Sahara; which I’d really like to have. There’s one up the road for $8,200. Too bad I can’t get it. :(

If I am wrong on anything I say or the parts I've choosen, please forgive me. I'm still learning...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wait on shocks as you will have no idea what length you will need.Best to have the front or rear done and then fully flex the front/rear and measure for full extension/full comprssion and go from there,this process works for figuring out bumpstops also.

If using a HP30 try and get a WJ knuckle/brake setup,it's a high steer setup with better brakes then what comes stock on a HP30.

I would skip on nitro gears,there cheap for a reason.The best gears for the D30 is Dana/spicer gears,then Yukon or Motive are good.For the 8.25 Yukon gears are very good.

For leaf springs I would be looking for a donor that weighs about the same or little more then a KJ like a FSJ(Wagoneer),the XJ leafs maybe to soft as a stock XJ weighs about 600-700lbs lighter then a stock KJ.

Any driveline shop can make a brand new driveshaft cheaper then buying a junkyard one then having it modified.USAFCOP got both his drivehafts made,brand new and both 1310's with one end with a double cardon joint(CV) for like $320'ish each(and balanced).My High Angle shafts did cost a little more but I used much bigger 1350 joints,extra long slip joints,extra thick tube, and paid shipping but mine ran $475 for the rear and $425 for the front(uses 1350 axle end and 1310 CV t-case end).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Troy,

What you just said helps out a whole heck of a lot!!!

I'll hold off on shocks
Have custom drive shafts made

Someone had mentioned YJ leafs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:11 pm 
LOST Member

Okay... I think you need to do a lot more research on this. Doing it wrong will come back to bite you in the long run. I would advise you get in touch with a good 4x4 build shop. Pick their brains and see what they have to say (and if they give you the "buy a wrangler" line, tell them it will cost you to buy a wrangler, and then cost you to build it.) Looking at things online, and having someone show you in person are two different things.

What I'm planning on in about 18 months (god willing) is full uniframe stiffening with 3/16" plate. LJ/TJ long arm kit (whichever I can get the best deal on at the time) and 10" rear springs and FOA coilovers 10" or 12" travel. All the long arm, and track bar brackets will be 1/4" (either plate or pre-fabbed, and whatever ford bronco/f150 steering box I can find in good shape in the junkyard. I already have a 97' HPD30. I want to try to do as much as I can, but some stuff I will be leaving to my boys at LowRange 4x4. Its nice to have a good quality experienced fabricator/builder to go to if you need help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ramlebliberty wrote:
Okay... I think you need to do a lot more research on this. Doing it wrong will come back to bite you in the long run. I would advise you get in touch with a good 4x4 build shop.

Have been researching for the past few months. Here lately I've been staying up til 1am working on parts list and researching.
Already have a good shop that can do this swap.
May end up doing coilovers instead. Or may end up getting a Jeep Wrangler Sahara TJ. I've always wanted one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:42 pm 
LOST Member

Sahara TJ's are for pansies, trust me on that ;) A solid Axle KJ when done right is badass, plus you get the longer wheelbase.

Coilovers are easier IMO and Flex a ton better

$2000 is a heck of a deal on labor, I will be doing a lot of the work myself and I'm still expecting a couple grand in labor costs.

An Aussie is fine for the front, I know a bunch of guys that run them with no problems. If your 4x4 is not engaged you will not notice its there. ARB's are awesome, bu they are the premium. Its what you want to spend, Me I would go lunchbox up front, ARB or Detroit in the rear. I like simplicity, and airlines (or wires if you go ECTED) add complexity. Spend the money where you will need it the most.

$400 for a HP30 is too much, I got mine for $75, complete with steering, gotta love craigslist!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ramlebliberty wrote:
Sahara TJ's are for pansies, trust me on that ;) A solid Axle KJ when done right is badass, plus you get the longer wheelbase.

Coilovers are easier IMO and Flex a ton better

$2000 is a heck of a deal on labor, I will be doing a lot of the work myself and I'm still expecting a couple grand in labor costs.

An Aussie is fine for the front, I know a bunch of guys that run them with no problems. If your 4x4 is not engaged you will not notice its there. ARB's are awesome, bu they are the premium. Its what you want to spend, Me I would go lunchbox up front, ARB or Detroit in the rear. I like simplicity, and airlines (or wires if you go ECTED) add complexity. Spend the money where you will need it the most.

$400 for a HP30 is too much, I got mine for $75, complete with steering, gotta love craigslist!

When building a front diff you want to engineer in your weak point,something that will give well before anything else would normally.A stock HP30 it can be anything but last on the list is the R&P gear set and generally 1st is the stock axles.Add chromo axles and then the stock carrier is next,hence why a luchbox locker is not a wise choice.Then if you upgrade to a good locker like the ARB then your breaking the R&P gear sets.None of those items but the axles are very fun to swap on the trail,and yes they even break with 33" tires under a heavy Jeep(which the KJ is heavy).

Why I went with a HP44 so I could run lockouts(stock setup for a HP44),with the WARN premium hubs they are the weak link but easy to replace and cheap,of course small enough to easily carry spares.Sure you can do a manual hub conversion on a 30 but at over $1000 for the kit alone just adds to what most say about building a 30,"just polishing a turd".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:29 pm 
LOST Member

I'm no going to lie TJ, if I could find a HP44 for a steal, I would most definitely snag it up and use it, common sense! For cost reasons however, In a dana 30 you can't beat the lunchbox. And if the rig is going to be a DD/Moderate wheeler, its a no brainer for the front. $250 for a aussie, and they're easy to put in. VS. <$1000 for a ARB, drilling/tapping holes, installing compressors and air lines. That's money and time I can spend on armor, better shocks, better tires, better long arms. If I was building an all out, no budget, hardcore rig, yea I would use a rockjock 60 with a ARB, but in a low budget build you need to put the money in the correct places. I do think a solid locker in the rear is wise, it see's way more use under load than the front. For what its worth, putting a ARB in a Dana 30 is "just polishing a turd"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:00 am 
LOST Junkie

I "polished my Turd" just about far enough to see a slightly disfigured version of me (and my bank account) looking back lol, some people don't get what a Budget build is about I guess. That's fine tho for those of us who have to build within' those monetary constraints, it just means you have to work smarter with what you have.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Some of us are on a budget and not made of money. HP Dana 30 is plenty strong enough for what I want to do. If one just plans on running 33's, then a HP Dana 30 is good enough.
And I do not think TJ Wranglers are for pansies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:30 am 
LOST Member

I've seen HP30's running 36" bias tires slamming obstacles, its a pretty stout axle for its size. Of course finding a 44 is a better route, but for the KJ its fine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:19 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

:POPCORN:

watching this

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

STINGN wrote:
:POPCORN:

watching this

Thanks. I hope I'll be able to do this. Leafed or coilover.
I keep telling myself it's much better than buying a used TJ; and that I can handle it. But it's starting to feel like too much to handle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:44 pm 
LOST Member

Its easy to get discouraged, but remember it doesn't happen overnight. I've had a front axle sitting in my backyard for over a year, and in that time I've added a few other parts looking for the deals to pop up. I have about $175 into mine so far between the Junkyard and craigslist. That's just for a XJ front axle with WJ knuckles, brakes & used 4.88 gears. I'll gladly sell for $450 ;) lol. But even though I have an axle ready to go I'm still going to do a full front end rebuild on the IFS. I have to wait for a few loan payments to end before I can bear the brunt of dropping $5-10k on the swap. It takes time, even if I was going to do the swap tomorrow it would be at least a 3-6 month process. Stay motivated and look for the good deals, call vendors, tell them what you're up too and they'll usually work with you. Collect everything (and I mean everything!) you need before you dive in and it will a lot less painless. And expect the unexpected, as they say S&*# happens ;) stay with it and when you're done you will have a decent wheeling rig that everyone will stare at in amazement as it crawls by.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next