It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Leafed SFA KJ Parts (need help with the front)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks (wish I knew you real name)...

But I may just buy a $1,000 XJ and build it. I'll still wheel the KJ and keep modding it, but this sfa swap feels like it's way out of my league.
Besides I can buy a trail Jeep, pay-off the Liberty, keep it and then buy another Jeep. :lol:
I think the third Jeep should be a Wrangler.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

sell you a hp D40 for 400$ if you want to go that way :D otherwise burnsville offroad have dozens of JK low milage 44s and 30s that are compatible with your esp and abs systems, 4:10s and e lockers included.If your going to do leafs I highly recommend doing your rear as well otherwise its going to get weird rolling around with a soft rear and stiff front. As for the frame me and the guys working with me on it decided that building a supplemental tube frame was going to work out best in the long run the drive-train would mount to the frame and the body would mount on isos just like a traditional box frame and that took a ton of headache away (theoretically). that was going to be 1500$ + hourly to get CAD designed and CNC bent then the mounts would have to be done and I was going to build it from there. just to get you some ideas ;) if you want to go full width I have that 44 and a HD D60 with matching bolt pattern, disc brake conversion, matching width as well as a factory LSD (Operational) and 4 16.5" rims with doo doo for tread 35s all for 800$ and ill meet ya half way with em. just a thought :)

COLORADO NATIVE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CRDphenox wrote:
if you want to go full width I have that 44 and a HD D60 with matching bolt pattern, disc brake conversion, matching width as well as a factory LSD (Operational) and 4 16.5" rims with doo doo for tread 35s all for 800$ and ill meet ya half way with em. just a thought :)

Really would like to be the 1st woman in the US with a SFA KJ.

Saw you're in Denver, CO. If I drove all the way, could I get them for free? :lol:
I live in Somerset, KY. Mapquest THAT and see how far you are from me. :ROTFL: :wink:

I'll keep that deal in mind though... :wink: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yea but there's a gentleman who owes me money in KC and visit to him plus selling my gear might turn a profit :wink: . And if I get stiffed again by him at least it pays for its self.

COLORADO NATIVE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CRDphenox wrote:
Yea but there's a gentleman who owes me money in KC and visit to him plus selling my gear might turn a profit :wink: . And if I get stiffed again by him at least it pays for its self.

Okay...

KC WOULD be half-way for me... :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There's a guy on Craigslist selling all four leafs from a YJ for $100. HD leafs around 2.5"-3" of lift. Too bad I don't have the $$$ for them. :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:58 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Why would you use YJ springs ? :shock:
A YJ (street weight) was in the 3000/3050 lb area, clearly at least 1000 less than a KJ and more when you add in any type of skids/bumpers/etc.
They work great for a trailer but I wouldn't use them on a SFA KJ . Lots more way better selections in springs out there if you went that route

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
Why would you use YJ springs ? :shock:
A YJ (street weight) was in the 3000/3050 lb area, clearly at least 1000 less than a KJ and more when you add in any type of skids/bumpers/etc.
They work great for a trailer but I wouldn't use them on a SFA KJ . Lots more way better selections in springs out there if you went that route

They're HD leafs...
Didn't say what brand they were. Guessing OME.

Don't worry, I'll probably end up buying a TJ or another KJ. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:13 pm 

Doesn't matter if they are heavy duty or extra heavy duty, they are used for one, and they are for YJ which is lighter weight so even if you get HDs they would be minimal even for a KJ without anything else added to it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
Doesn't matter if they are heavy duty or extra heavy duty, they are used for one, and they are for YJ which is lighter weight so even if you get HDs they would be minimal even for a KJ without anything else added to it.

Gotcha...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah you'd want front leafs from a Wagoneer at min.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Yeah you'd want front leafs from a Wagoneer at min.

Thanks

There was a guy selling complete axles from a Wagoneer for what seemed a fair price...Again, no $$$ to jump on it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:54 pm 
LOST Addict

i'd love to see you do a SFA.. coil overs or leafs... but seems like your getting overwhelmed. Take your time. make a list for the front, list for the rear. go over the list over and over and over. compile all your parts first. then add $4000 for labor and you'll be close.

OR..

buy a used small car trailer and a already built, spring over axle (with YJ springs) suzuki samurai. can buy a built one for $2500. removable top/doors, fit 33's, can go anywhere.. and aftermarket support is crazy.

and tow it with the KJ... which you keep as your daily driver.

that's my plan 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2006 KJ wrote:
suzuki samurai
Yeah! I'd love me a Zuk!

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2006 KJ wrote:
i'd love to see you do a SFA.. coil overs or leafs... but seems like your getting overwhelmed. Take your time. make a list for the front, list for the rear. go over the list over and over and over. compile all your parts first. then add $4000 for labor and you'll be close.

OR..

buy a used small car trailer and a already built, spring over axle (with YJ springs) suzuki samurai. can buy a built one for $2500. removable top/doors, fit 33's, can go anywhere.. and aftermarket support is crazy.

and tow it with the KJ... which you keep as your daily driver.

that's my plan 8)

No kidding I'm overwhelmed! That's why this is on the back burner. Leaning more towards a Mall Crawler TJ Sahara. Maybe a nice XJ.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:POPCORN:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello everyone! I'm new to the lostjeeps forum and created a profile just so I can give my two cents.
I own a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD in which I too have done a solid axle swap. It all started when I purchased it from a dealer in Phoenix. Not quite happy with the stock suspension nor the trouble areas associated with the diesel, I began by purchasing an OME spring lift, Suncoast TQ, and tuned the ECU. Then came the JBA front IFS coilovers, upper A-arms and four link kit. Frankly, I paid way to much- the rear upper links are noisy and the front coilovers have limited travel. At the time, my buddies were giving me crap because an axle swap would have been cheaper, which they were right. I ended up breaking the front right coilover and Marlin at Jeepin' by AL is a pleasure to deal with. They do indeed have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Thus prompted the journey.
They thing that differs from yours to mine is the intercooler. Otherwise, you have a lot more room to work with. I started with a parts list:
-Front axle: Dana 30 out of a 1997 Grand Cherokee which has ABS and 3:73 gears (no need for gears)
-Suspension: Front: 3 Link 6.5 long arm upgrade from Rusty's offroad for an XJ; adjustable track-bar and frame mount for an XJ/ZJ; 10 inch FOA coilovers w/reservoir (too bad they're building caught on fire); custom coilover mounts using the top-hat from the struts and custom mounts on the axle. Rear: JBA lower long arms; JBA still-crappy upper links; 10" Bilstien 7100's; limit straps
-Steering: 1990 Ford Bronco II steering box; custom pitman-arm; stock drag-link and tie-rod from the scavenged ZJ; Napa hydraulic hoses; boxed and trussed steering box mount
-Brakes: Front: 30" SS braided hoses Rear: JBA SS braided lines
-Driveline: Front: Custom driveshaft w/ front output yoke from a ZJ. Rear: Tom Woods NP242 J SYE (I sent them my original output yoke and they hack'ed and tap'ed) w/custom driveshaft.

Not mentioned above: front long arm cross member mounted in front of the transfer case cross member; lower radiator hose rerouted up-and-over intercooler/radiator (you may not need to do this); ABS/traction control/cruise control dont function properly because of the pulse signal created by the front axle (if anyone has any input on this would be greatly appreciated :D )

All-in-all, I spent about $2000-$2500 to complete the solid axle swap. I pulled the axle myself from a pick-n-pull junkyard which roughly cost $200, Rusty's suspension ~$1200, FOA's ~$700, steering box (junkyard) ~$50. If you need to do the rear suspension, you may add ~$800 but in perspective, wouldn't you do the same to a Cherokee?

Cheers!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CRD'D wrote:
Hello everyone! I'm new to the lostjeeps forum and created a profile just so I can give my two cents.
I own a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD in which I too have done a solid axle swap. It all started when I purchased it from a dealer in Phoenix. Not quite happy with the stock suspension nor the trouble areas associated with the diesel, I began by purchasing an OME spring lift, Suncoast TQ, and tuned the ECU. Then came the JBA front IFS coilovers, upper A-arms and four link kit. Frankly, I paid way to much- the rear upper links are noisy and the front coilovers have limited travel. At the time, my buddies were giving me crap because an axle swap would have been cheaper, which they were right. I ended up breaking the front right coilover and Marlin at Jeepin' by AL is a pleasure to deal with. They do indeed have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Thus prompted the journey.
They thing that differs from yours to mine is the intercooler. Otherwise, you have a lot more room to work with. I started with a parts list:
-Front axle: Dana 30 out of a 1997 Grand Cherokee which has ABS and 3:73 gears (no need for gears)
-Suspension: Front: 3 Link 6.5 long arm upgrade from Rusty's offroad for an XJ; adjustable track-bar and frame mount for an XJ/ZJ; 10 inch FOA coilovers w/reservoir (too bad they're building caught on fire); custom coilover mounts using the top-hat from the struts and custom mounts on the axle. Rear: JBA lower long arms; JBA still-crappy upper links; 10" Bilstien 7100's; limit straps
-Steering: 1990 Ford Bronco II steering box; custom pitman-arm; stock drag-link and tie-rod from the scavenged ZJ; Napa hydraulic hoses; boxed and trussed steering box mount
-Brakes: Front: 30" SS braided hoses Rear: JBA SS braided lines
-Driveline: Front: Custom driveshaft w/ front output yoke from a ZJ. Rear: Tom Woods NP242 J SYE (I sent them my original output yoke and they hack'ed and tap'ed) w/custom driveshaft.

Not mentioned above: front long arm cross member mounted in front of the transfer case cross member; lower radiator hose rerouted up-and-over intercooler/radiator (you may not need to do this); ABS/traction control/cruise control dont function properly because of the pulse signal created by the front axle (if anyone has any input on this would be greatly appreciated :D )

All-in-all, I spent about $2000-$2500 to complete the solid axle swap. I pulled the axle myself from a pick-n-pull junkyard which roughly cost $200, Rusty's suspension ~$1200, FOA's ~$700, steering box (junkyard) ~$50. If you need to do the rear suspension, you may add ~$800 but in perspective, wouldn't you do the same to a Cherokee?

Cheers!!

Welcome to LOST. :JEEPIN:
How about making a new post and post up some pics of your KJ. I would like to see it as I am sure many others would to. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:shock:
:POPCORN:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:06 am 
LOST Newbie

the leafs topic has been on my mind as well, and i thought i would add my 2 cents.leaf would be a heck of alot cheaper than long arms if you are planning on doing most of the fab work yourself, like i will be. but if you are paying someone, it would only be slightly cheaper. most jy you can get a set of leafs for around 75 bucks. that locates the axle and supports the weight of the vehicle. shackles are cheap and easy to make or buy at around 50 bucks for cheap and 100 for nice. steering box is the same price as a coil one, but steering is different. if going with spring under, which i am considering, steering is easy, but with spring over you would either need a trick draglink, or high steer on the pass. knuckle. i'm not too much a fan of the high steer because of frame interference, but a bent drag isn't the best option either. the leafs would add the stability a link setup would be missing without the assistance of a sway bar.
all that being said. why is my only reason for hesitating on the leaf springs because it seems old technology. I could keep it low, stable and rid my jeep of the most ridiculously dangerous ifs setup i have ever seen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next