It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leafed SFA KJ Parts (need help with the front)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tossing around the idea of a SFA swap for my Jeep. Have been for a while. I've decided to since:
#1 My Jeep is almost paid-off
#2 Better in the long run
#3 A front steel diff from JBA with all the trimmings I'd like is $3,500 (nearly the cost for a SFA swap)
#4 I plan on keeping my Jeep til it rots to the ground
#5 Rather not build on the IFS (continously)

I have picked out the rear parts from JBA for the swap. The list is below...(No I have not bought this stuff. Just trying to get an idea of what I need and how much it will cost.)
(If this will not work out or I have left something out, please tell me.) I know the eletrical stuff and brake stuff will need to be changed.

JBA-KJ Rear 4 Link
KJ Tri-Angulated 4 Link (Hoping this will work out...it should.) $658.76

JBA-RLCAM-38
Rear Lower Control Arms Mounts (needed for the item below) $111.95

JBA-RLCA-38-39.50
Rear Lower Control Arms (already built = less time and $$$ spent on custom stuff)
$365.95

JBA-RCS6
Rear Coil Spring Set 6" lift (Probably will go with OME since that's what most are running)
$238.80

JBA-8.25C
Crane Diff Cover (MUST HAVE)
$179.00

C825456
Superior Axle Ring & Pinion (4.56 gears)
$339.56

R825RSKT
Motive Gear Bearing & Seal Kit (Mine as well get the best one...I know I can find a better deal on the gears and the gear kits..Just trying to get an idea of what stuff will cost)
$152.95

JBA- KJ-7100-06-WRR
Bilstein 6" shock w/ remote reservoir (NOT sure these will work...What you all think??)
$273.29

(Haven't decided on what locker I would like).

Since I plan on keeping the Chrsyler 8.25 in the rear, I thought JBA's parts would work out just nice. They're built for a Liberty, so it would cut down on the time to build custom parts. Resulting in having the Jeep back on the road quicker.
I plan on selling my IFS components to help with the cost (I know I won't get much for them, but anything will help) Already have the wheels for the job, so there's $200 saved already!!! :BANANA:

Here's where I'm having trouble...the front. I want to have a leafed front. Yes, a leafed front. If you don't like that idea, too bad. It's not your Jeep, it's mine. The reasons for a leafed SFA; cheaper, less time doing the swap and a lot easier to do. I've decided to go with the HP Dana 30 from a XJ; same bolt pattern as the rear 8.25 and will hold up to what I'll be doing.

My questions are:
-Would a Bronco II steering box work with a leafed front?
-What shocks are the best to use up front?

I thought about either buying a HD front bumper from RockLizard or have the shop build a HD front bumper; to have a place to mount the leaf spring hanger brackets.

Basically, I wish SOMEONE had a picture of that one guy's leafed SFA KJ. Just a picture of how his front is set up. I'm a visual person, so I need to see a picture of a leafed SFA KJ or see it in person to understand it.
So the reason for this thread is to see if any of you could help me out with the front portion of this swap. What all I would need and such.

Please, do not trash this thread with hate comments. I'd like this to become a tool that other Jeep enthusiasts can use if they're deciding to do a SFA swap on a KJ; and would like to have a leafed front.

(There are some of you that will not consider what I just mentioned. So if you would like to chew me out, please do so in a PM.)

My inspiration picture...

Last edited by blackwidowkj06 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Leafed SFA KJ Parts (need help with the front)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can't help you out on the leafs but it will not be any easier,just a tad cheaper is all.

You want a '90-'91 F350(non-HD) steering box,the one with 3 mounting holes(the HD version has 4 mounting holes).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Can't help you out on the leafs but it will not be any easier,just a tad cheaper is all.

You want a '90-'91 F350(non-HD) steering box,the one with 3 mounting holes(the HD version has 4 mounting holes).

Seems easier to me, but I know it won't be.

What all do I need to get for the steering box? What all should I look for when purchasing one?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Find a used/wore out/wrecked 90-91 F-350,use front axle and assorted junk and rear axle. Widths will match and basic parts are there. Keeping the 8.25 is silly;35-37 inch tires or larger will make short work of it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ridenby wrote:
Find a used/wore out/wrecked 90-91 F-350,use front axle and assorted junk and rear axle. Widths will match and basic parts are there. Keeping the 8.25 is silly;35-37 inch tires or larger will make short work of it.

Never considered that idea. Thanks

What about a 1980-1996 F150?
There's one sitting up at the farm. Will that work?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
ridenby wrote:

Never considered that idea. Thanks

'80-'96's will have TTB up front with coils,after I believe '87 they also dropped the 9" rear for the 8.8.

If you want the whole drivetrain look at a '78-'79 F250,or if you want some real beef find a '79 F350 with the HP60 front.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
blackwidowkj06 wrote:

'80-'96's will have TTB up front with coils,after I believe '87 they also dropped the 9" rear for the 8.8.

If you want the whole drivetrain look at a '78-'79 F250,or if you want some real beef find a '79 F350 with the HP60 front.

Alright, thanks. I plan on not going above 33's, so the Chrysler 8.25 and the stock t-case will work just fine. May just have to do coils, if I cannot figure out how the leaf SFA part is set up. Wish that one guy with the leafed SFA KJ was on here, often. :banghead:
If I do coils, I'll be borrowing ideas from everyone that's on the SFA sticky. Hope you all don't mind. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If using a D30(or HP30) up front you will need to use coilovers as that axle is not wide enough for the traditional coil/shock setup.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
If using a D30(or HP30) up front you will need to use coilovers as that axle is not wide enough for the traditional coil/shock setup.

Note taken...

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:05 am 
LOST Newbie

If you are going with leaf, I think you could use a SAS kit for the front like this:

It comes with front hanger, shackle hangers, shackles, bushings and sleeves for shackle hangers, and hardware (2 bolts @ 9/16"x4.5" with lock nuts and washers, and 4 bolts @ 1/2"x5" with lock nuts and washers).

What I like of the leafed SFA is the posibility to do the swap with less height than coils or coilovers since you don't need any upper arms or track bar, and using some OME or Alcan leaf you can get a nice ride and great flex if you do SOA.

What I don't like of that black leafed Liberty is the front shackle hanging to low. With this kit the shackles will be mounted in the rear and improve the approach angle.

Here is a SAS Sportrack that use this kit, I think it looks really nice, and you can't see any shackles hanging in the front:

Here is a Explorer with the same kit:

The link for this SAS kit is ($219):
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/de ... php?id=197

Just trying to give you some ideas...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I read somewhere on one of the SFA thread's that the 06's ABS regulates the speedo. It was something along those lines. Can't remember due to feeling sick and getting sleepy.

Anyways, how would I go about bypassing the ABS? Read somewhere if I pulled the fuse it would affect the speedo???

There is still so much I do not understand. Guess that's why you pay somone to do it (who knows what they're doing). :lol:
Might run by the shop I always take my Jeep to and ask if they're up for doing a SFA swap for my Jeep. I'll probably get a WTH look from the owner when he hears what I'm wanting to do. :lol: :roll:

Also, I read where some of you have not purchased a drop pitman arm and have used a stock one...

I really hope I do stick with doing this mod. So far, everything that I said I want to do to my Jeep; I have done it.
This SFA stuff doesn't happen overnight though. I wish it did though and I also wish money grew on trees. :-)r

The dogs are whinning, wanting to go to bed. Hope to hear from you all.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Chino78 wrote:
If you are going with leaf, I think you could use a SAS kit for the front like this:

It comes with front hanger, shackle hangers, shackles, bushings and sleeves for shackle hangers, and hardware (2 bolts @ 9/16"x4.5" with lock nuts and washers, and 4 bolts @ 1/2"x5" with lock nuts and washers).

Is that wide enough for the HP Dana 30? That can't be mounted on the frame of the KJ w/o having a nice HD custom bumper made. Probably will have a custom one made instead of buying from RL.

Chino78 wrote:
What I like of the leafed SFA is the posibility to do the swap with less height than coils or coilovers since you don't need any upper arms or track bar, and using some OME or Alcan leaf you can get a nice ride and great flex if you do SOA.

What I don't like of that black leafed Liberty is the front shackle hanging to low. With this kit the shackles will be mounted in the rear and improve the approach angle.

Yes, I agree with you on everything you said. I'm not wanting to go "too crazy" on lift height. Oh and I also do not like how low his shackle mounts hang on his SFA KJ...

I'm close to 5'9" (although the height measure thing at the Dr. doesn't say so :roll: )...so hopping into a tall SFA would be no problem. The thing is the rest of my family (mother in particular is short) so I would like to have the Jeep vertically challenged "friendly"...

When Troy (tjkj02) came to KY for ECS, I meet up with him in London to buy his breakfast and we rode in his "big 'ol bad a. Jeep"... He says it rides like a Cadillac but I sure didn't feel it. Although we never got above 55mph :roll: :roll: Should have asked him to take it out on I-75 for a drive... :-)r I got into his Jeep no problem, but he laughed when I got out of it the first time cause I forgot about how tall it was :shock: :roll: :lol: ...needless to say I sort of slipped and would have fell on my hiney if weren't for my long legs :oops:

Chino78 wrote:
The link for this SAS kit is ($219):
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/de ... php?id=197

Just trying to give you some ideas...

ANY information or ideas are VERY HELPFUL!!! Thank you so much. Didn't know there were kits out there for that stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:36 am 
LOST Junkie

The Non-HD Ford Boxes are the same from 80-96 Regardless of which F series truck they come out of as I have found out. Too me doing Leafs as opposed to Coilovers doesn't look like it will be any less work/fab, but looks like it has the potential to be cheaper on the parts budget. I noticed your Build sheet above personally I think you'll get a better quality product if you just have the rear arms fabbed, as for the gears check out Justdifferentials.com for rebuild kits and gears that would also keep some coin in your pocket. You'll also have to plan for new driveshafts I used a front XJ Automatic shaft for the front, and a Manual Trans XJ front for the rear it worked with my stretch and saved me the $$$ of custom shafts. I did run against an issue we resolved recently in that my KJ came with the 242 T-Case which in a KJ means you get a 32-spline rear output instead of the standard 27-spline, Making the yoke I picked up from Ironrock to do my Hack N Tap useless I did find a part number that will work and I'll post it up if you also have the 242. If you have the 231 T-Case The Ironrock Hack N Tap that comes with the driveshaft will work and is a really good deal. As for the haters on the 8.25" It's a 29-spline in our KJ's and IMHO it's just as strong as a 44 truss it gear and go, I have a friend whose been beating his XJ that has a 29 spline rear swapped in on 39.5" Bias IROC's for a few years and he still hasn't broke the rear so I wouldn't be worried about it.
Everyone likes a picture, I'll be watching to see the build come together good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A buddy of mine said I would not need frame stiffners cause the XJs are unibodies too and do okay w/o them. I told him most of the guys that have done the SFA swap have used frame stiffners: #1 to strengthen up the unibody #2 to have a place to mount their long arms....

Dumb question....
Since I'm wanting to do leafs, would it be wise to do frame stiffners and where could I buy them at? Rather buy them then have them made. Because I would only be paying for the part and the labor to install them. Instead of paying for the labor to have them made, material costs, labor to have them installed etc etc...

Sorry if I'm wrong on some of this stuff. Still learning!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RED_KJ_666 wrote:
The Non-HD Ford Boxes are the same from 80-96 Regardless of which F series truck they come out of as I have found out. Too me doing Leafs as opposed to Coilovers doesn't look like it will be any less work/fab, but looks like it has the potential to be cheaper on the parts budget. I noticed your Build sheet above personally I think you'll get a better quality product if you just have the rear arms fabbed, as for the gears check out Justdifferentials.com for rebuild kits and gears that would also keep some coin in your pocket. You'll also have to plan for new driveshafts I used a front XJ Automatic shaft for the front, and a Manual Trans XJ front for the rear it worked with my stretch and saved me the $$$ of custom shafts. I did run against an issue we resolved recently in that my KJ came with the 242 T-Case which in a KJ means you get a 32-spline rear output instead of the standard 27-spline, Making the yoke I picked up from Ironrock to do my Hack N Tap useless I did find a part number that will work and I'll post it up if you also have the 242. If you have the 231 T-Case The Ironrock Hack N Tap that comes with the driveshaft will work and is a really good deal. As for the haters on the 8.25" It's a 29-spline in our KJ's and IMHO it's just as strong as a 44 truss it gear and go, I have a friend whose been beating his XJ that has a 29 spline rear swapped in on 39.5" Bias IROC's for a few years and he still hasn't broke the rear so I wouldn't be worried about it.
Everyone likes a picture, I'll be watching to see the build come together good luck.

I hear ya on having the rear arms fabbed but they're already made and work with the KJ. Less $$$ spent on having custom stuff made, etc etc...
Not sure on what t-case I have but my KJ is an 2006 sport but was built in 05. Where did you get your slip yoke at and custom d-shafts made??? Pretty sure the shop can do the exauhst stuff...They work on dump trucks, front end loaders, etc etc...pretty sure this SFA swap they can handle...(I HOPE!!!!) One other question, what lockers did you go with?? I want the ARBs, but HOLY HOT TAMALE!!!! Almost $2,000 for both Front&Rear... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thank you for following my thread as well. I will be the FIRST SFA Liberty in KY and the FIRST woman to own a SFA Liberty. :BANANA: :ROTFL:
This is all riding on how fast I can get a job after I graduate May 4th from college. Probably going to get a personal loan to help further this project. The only credit I have is a $1,000 something student loan. :ROTFL: Personal loan has a LOT better intrest rate than a credit card and credit cards are the devil!!! Of course, it all depends on how much they will loan out to me... :-)r

Would be nice to do this during the summer since I could ride a moped to work. ridenby suggested that part :jester: :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:55 am 
LOST Junkie

At the Price of those JBA arms/Mounts you could easily have custom arms done and have $$$ left over also his body side arm mounts don't look like they'll easily work once you add frame stiffeners. The Driveshafts I used aren't custom they're both stock XJ parts. The front is an XJ Automatic front shaft the rear is an XJ Automatic front shaft from a standard, The yoke I got for the 242's rear output is from a 4L80E trans the front output yoke I stole of a Grand Cherokee 242 that I got for free.
The frame stiffeners are a fairly important part of a SFA swap on a KJ, as they give your arms a good solid point to mount to.The KJ has an odd width frame You'll have to make them, I used 1/4" angle and welded the inside frame part to that. Basically tacked the outside part (the L shaped) piece up to the unibody, then put the inside piece up tacked it and welded the out side edge up. Then removed it and welded it on the inside too overkill? maybe but that's me. Keep in mind to that you will be seriously modifying your engine cradle and motor mount areas up front, the little things and small parts really slow up the end of the build.

Personal loan lol I re-mortgaged my house too build my Liberty (that and to get a Big arse TV (and a better interest Rate)), Technically the Jeep is my Girlfriend Emilie's it's registered in her name so that would make her the first Woman with a SAS Libby?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RED_KJ_666 wrote:
At the Price of those JBA arms/Mounts you could easily have custom arms done and have $$$ left over also his body side arm mounts don't look like they'll easily work once you add frame stiffeners.

That's nice to know...wasn't sure on that stuff...so that's why I created this thread, to get help.

RED_KJ_666 wrote:
The Driveshafts I used aren't custom they're both stock XJ parts. The front is an XJ Automatic front shaft the rear is an XJ Automatic front shaft from a standard, The yoke I got for the 242's rear output is from a 4L80E trans the front output yoke I stole of a Grand Cherokee 242 that I got for free.

Guess I'll be hitting up the junkyards around this area A LOT!!!
That helps on the $$$ part...thanks

RED_KJ_666 wrote:
The frame stiffeners are a fairly important part of a SFA swap on a KJ, as they give your arms a good solid point to mount to.The KJ has an odd width frame You'll have to make them, I used 1/4" angle and welded the inside frame part to that. Basically tacked the outside part (the L shaped) piece up to the unibody, then put the inside piece up tacked it and welded the out side edge up.

NICE!!! Now there's no guessing game on this part :ROTFL:

RED_KJ_666 wrote:
Then removed it and welded it on the inside too overkill? maybe but that's me. Keep in mind to that you will be seriously modifying your engine cradle and motor mount areas up front, the little things and small parts really slow up the end of the build.

Nothing wrong with overkill...just look at Troy's Jeep for example :roll: :lol: <-----no harm meant with that, just trying to be funny

RED_KJ_666 wrote:
Personal loan lol I re-mortgaged my house too build my Liberty (that and to get a Big arse TV (and a better interest Rate)), Technically the Jeep is my Girlfriend Emilie's it's registered in her name so that would make her the first Woman with a SAS Libby?

Well I do not own a house, so a re-mortgage is out of this question :ROTFL:

Ahhh, your SFA Jeep is in your GF's name...but does she D.D. drive it and has she paid for everything on it???
Can't say much myself...my Jeep is in my mother's name. If it were in my name, pretty sure I'd have to sell both kidneys to pay for a years worth of insurance...and selling both kidneys is impossible, so is affording insurance with the Jeep in my name is impossible too. It will stay in my mothers name until I can afford insurance with it in my name. :jester: :lol:
However, I have paid for almost everything on my Jeep and I do D.D. it. Even with the SFA swap, I will continue to D.D. it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:20 am 
LOST Junkie

Yup I have lots of trail pictures it's her toy I'm more of a fan of walking the trail and seeing it work/where it can be improved + I like taking pictures. As for the paying for it she makes the payments on it (she actually makes almost double what I make, She works as a trainer for Exxon Mobil's internal technical support team), I make the improvements on it which is why I work in a parts store lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RED_KJ_666 wrote:
Yup I have lots of trail pictures it's her toy I'm more of a fan of walking the trail and seeing it work/where it can be improved + I like taking pictures. As for the paying for it she makes the payments on it (she actually makes almost double what I make, She works as a trainer for Exxon Mobil's internal technical support team), I make the improvements on it which is why I work in a parts store lol.

Alright then...she has credit for the first woman owned SFA KJ. :mrgreen:

Nothing wrong with riding shotgun and taking pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:47 am 
LOST Newbie

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
Is that wide enough for the HP Dana 30? That can't be mounted on the frame of the KJ w/o having a nice HD custom bumper made. Probably will have a custom one made instead of buying from RL.

I'm not sure if it is wide enough, but I think it is. This kit was designed for S-10 Blazer, but I think it could fit the KJ (if the KJ uniframe is strength enough). The center to center distance between the the brackets of the hangers is 31" and is used with wagoneer leafs or any 2.5" wide leaf... In those pictures this kit is used with D44 wagoneer front axles that are like 2" wider than the XJ Dana 30, so I think it must fit, but sure you can custom made one, I only gave you some ideas on what you would need... :idea: