It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clevis mount bracket for an axle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Okay, I was laying on the ground under my kj... And then it hit me.... Instead of all the tussle and bussle and thousands of dollars for a sfa kit.... Why not a longer clevis and a weldable bracket to attach to any axle you want?? Say a Dana30 or 44? I thought this way you don't need to lift 8 inches... The problem remains bumpstops tho... I have also thought about a bolt on xj upper mount for the coil springs. Do away with coil overs all together... Just set it up like an xj... I,myself I am not grammatically correct and I am very new to the kj but I have a wild imagination. Just hoping you guys can see what my vision was and either give yay or nay on the possibility

Post subject: Re: Clevis mount bracket for an axle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anybody?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Still going to run into the same issues as the rest of use doing the SFA swap.You will need to fab control arm mounts,steering,and all that just like those of us that have done the swap.Not going to save any $$$.Doing the seperate coil and spring(like the XJ) will require you to use full width axles so no D30 or TJ D44.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yupp you should read through the threads here in the Solid axle thread start to finish, There's a lot going on under there that one normally wouldn't think about and there's not as much room as you might think due to the unibody width up front. Your Idea to lengthen the Clevis arms sounds good in theory until you realize how much of an angle you end up with on the CV shafts and ball joints, then to correct that you drop the cradle only to realize that by doing that and correcting the ball joint and CV angles you have no more ground clearance than you originally did.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Still going to run into the same issues as the rest of use doing the SFA swap.You will need to fab control arm mounts,steering,and all that just like those of us that have done the swap.Not going to save any $$$.Doing the seperate coil and spring(like the XJ) will require you to use full width axles so no D30 or TJ D44.

What Does the Rock lizard kit use for non full width then troy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Chipppy wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

What Does the Rock lizard kit use for non full width then troy?

Coilovers