It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Surplus Dana 30
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 pm 
LOST Member

Getting started with an axle swap. I could use a little help with this.. Their are some surplus Dana 30 axles available but they are Right Hand Drive. Dose this mean only the steering connections? We all know their is no bolt up axle for our KJ's. Dose anyone know if this axle can be used. The part # is S-52069201. This is a brand new Mopar part that is 10+ years in a wooden create. would this be a good starting point? I want to keep my OX locker already in my Jeep, and keep the 8.25 for the rear. Thanks bshooter..

Post subject: Re: Surplus Dana 30
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you mean passenger side drop then no.Though I've never heard of a passenger side drop D30.I'd skip a low pinion 30 anyways,very weak.If you must use a 30 then look for a HP30 from a XJ but the extra weight of the CRD may bend those tubes like a twig if you actually wheel it hard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

Plan on getting rid of the jba diff or keeping it for a bit?

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:23 pm 
LOST Member

I will put up for sale everything on my KJ. After this swap is compleat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 pm 
LOST Member

This axle is for XJ. If it is HP Reverse cut would it be usable? If it is, I would sleeve it and reinforce the axle with some sort of truss support, to make it a SUPER 30. I like that it is brand new..no stress yet. I found these axles @ discountjeeparts.com. I also seen them on ebay. I can always start in the salvage yards @ a much lower price. I need to keep the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern being I just bought 5 beadlock rims for the dirt. or I would use a d44.. I could also use the 44 with Dodge nuckles, to fit the 5 on 4.5, but the barring aren't the best. I would rather have a super 30. I have been told you can make a 30 very stout. You are the MAN on SFA, what do you think.. bshooter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:14 pm 
LOST Member

Scraped the 30. found a rubi 44 :BANANA: bshooter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bshooter wrote:
Scraped the 30. found a rubi 44 :BANANA: bshooter

Might as well use a low pinion D30,that is all the '03-'06 Rubicon D44 is,it's all D30(ball joints,brakes,and tubes) but with LP44 gear set.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:12 pm 
LOST Member

:oops: I'm having a brain fight right :oops: now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah that happens.The '03-'06 Rubicon D44 was a major fail,just a polished turd(AKA D30).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
Yeah that happens.The '03-'06 Rubicon D44 was a major fail,just a polished turd(AKA D30).

Right a turd, yet Mine held up to lots of wheeling with no issues what so ever. 05 rubicon, armored out, 35 km2's. Not that hard of an axle to make strong for very little money. Ask me I know.

As for the HP30 if your going to SFA the Crd don't do it. Are motors are too much for them. There is more than one reason why I swapped it out for a hp44 from a ford 250 70's.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:58 pm 
LOST Member

I have been reading these posts on the SFA for over a year. My head and wallet are in 2 different places. I will have professional help to do the work. I will probably end up hybrid, knowing the people who will help me. I know this is not an over night project. These guys are really busy and I need to chill.. Brain fighting keeps me going. I have come close to buying 2 different axles. I'm glad I haven't. I will press on.. Thanks.. bshooter..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:40 pm 
LOST Member

Should start mid March. :-)r There is a lot to consider when starting a project like this. I did find a donor vehicle. :frankie: I hope the deal stands. Soon as the deal is final I will post what I am using. Thanks for your help guys. bshooter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:50 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

good luck. and have fun with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 am 
LOST Member

I have not seen in these post where anyone has used a coil over for the rear when swapping out the axles for the SAF?? Any thoughts on this? I"M having another Brain Fight.. :5SHOTS: bshooter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bshooter wrote:
I have not seen in these post where anyone has used a coil over for the rear when swapping out the axles for the SAF?? Any thoughts on this? I"M having another Brain Fight.. :5SHOTS: bshooter

Only one has..................

http://www.sn-fab.com/projects/tractech/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

More than one build has incorporated rear Coilovers. There's also the one in Australia that did it, The same guy I stole the idea of putting the coilovers into the under hood area from :) He also cut out a a couple pass through holes in his hatch area and mounted the rear coilovers to a cross brace back there. I was originally going to put a set of 14" shocks up through the same way back there I will dig for pictures of that rig...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:28 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks,,Thats Cool- I'm wondering how it might ride compared to springs and shocks. Building the rear axle either way should be about the same amount of work. Maybe more with the coil overs, but will you get a better ride on the street? Off-road more benefits with coil overs. :JEEPIN: bshooter
TJKJ2002 thanks for posting that link :mrgreen: I have seen that Jeep, but not the construction of it...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

If you run a narrow Jeep front end (Which is a not so good idea with a CRD) you pretty much have to use Coil overs up front because you don't have the room to package a separate spring/shock combo. The inherent problem most people have been running into when putting coilovers in SAS'd Liberties is there isn't enough room to run a long enough coil over to really take advantage of the coilovers, unless of course you cut out the top of the factory strut towers and build a sub frame/shock tower set into the under hood area. I was running a set of 14" travel Coilovers up there for a bit with a 150/350 spring set, but am currently running a set of 12" travel FOA's with a 250/450 spring set which handles a little better on the road but is bouncy off road. I'd imagine you'll be running a fairly heavy set of front coils due to the Diesel under your hood and I have no idea if you have the room with the diesel to build a shock tower setup under there either.

I'm not sure what other people are running in the back but I currently have a set of 12" travel FOA Emulsion shocks and a set of Nissan Patrol lift springs made by OME, The rate of those and the tune FOA did on my shocks has it riding really nice I think Coilovers in the back might be a little overkill personally and are likely not worth the cost depending on your driving style.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:34 pm 
LOST Member

Well It appears I got my hands on a F&R 2012 JK Rubicon D44's all ready set up with 513's and locked with some other goodies like 37's and AEV Pintler Beadlocks. These axles are 5" wider then the TJ,XJ's act I'm not sure about the KJ yet. I wont Get the Axles until the seller receives his new 1 Ton Dinatrax :-)r WOW! He has an OUTRAGEOUS JEEP :dizzy: I like the Idea of the coil overs in all 4 corners. As time goes on this jeep will make transition to trail use more then road use. In a few weeks when all the crap is removed and the axles are rolled under a new story will be told :POPCORN: Its hard to say exactly how this will be done, especially when I have to pay some one to help me, Or should I say I don't know what the #^(*@ IM doing. I will be their every day to assist any way I can at the shop. I will also take pictures of the build, maybe to help someone else.. bshooter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bshooter wrote:
Well It appears I got my hands on a F&R 2012 JK Rubicon D44's all ready set up with 513's and locked with some other goodies like 37's and AEV Pintler Beadlocks. These axles are 5" wider then the TJ,XJ's act I'm not sure about the KJ yet. I wont Get the Axles until the seller receives his new 1 Ton Dinatrax :-)r WOW! He has an OUTRAGEOUS JEEP :dizzy: I like the Idea of the coil overs in all 4 corners. As time goes on this jeep will make transition to trail use more then road use. In a few weeks when all the crap is removed and the axles are rolled under a new story will be told :POPCORN: Its hard to say exactly how this will be done, especially when I have to pay some one to help me, Or should I say I don't know what the #^(*@ IM doing. I will be their every day to assist any way I can at the shop. I will also take pictures of the build, maybe to help someone else.. bshooter

Very exciting!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next