It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: KK SFA, 60 FR, 70 RR, 42" MTR's
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:58 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for posting your test outing. Hopefully some more KK's will be bold enough to follow up and build theirs. I may have missed it in your thread but, what is your wheel base length? How much ground clearance do you have on your skid plates? bshooter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

USAFCOP wrote:
teckman02 wrote:
ROKHOPPERJ25 wrote:
Got the fenders and headlights on today. Got the door back from the body shop and it's on. Taking it to a parade in the morning and I will get some good pics. Power feels good still, gets out of it's own way.

Oh yea, to answer a couple questions.....

Antilock brake module...check.

speedometer....check.

traction control....taken care of!

i knew it over priced beater rig all the way

SO,
Maybe he wanted a trailer queen... I still think it looks like a pretty sweet build!!! NOt all jeeps are street legal, do you bash the JK trailer queens?

Cool build. Now hopefully your boss will let you guys wheel it instead of parking it as a model to only be stared at.

Well I hate trailer queens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:15 am 
LOST Addict

:shock: That thing looks great. Did you guys end up doing any throttle mods? Still sounds like it shifts too early...

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gageraid wrote:
:shock: That thing looks great. Did you guys end up doing any throttle mods? Still sounds like it shifts too early...

Without a speedo and ABS the trans will never shift right as it has no idea how fast the KK is going or slowing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank goodness for those Jeep engineers. The NGC controller uses the transmissions input and output speed sensors and throttle position to determine shift points. In the event that ABS input is lost it has the logic to still shift the trans at the correct points. We drove it downtown yesterday to a fund raiser, as evidenced in the video, and shift points were right on the money. It also drove fantastic, tracked straight and without a single weight on those wheels it was smooth as glass up to over 50 mph, or at least that's what my GPS said :goink: .
In the hill climb snippet I was in low range and manually shifted from 1st to 2nd. I wasn't trying to blow it up and traction was excellent so I was keeping my speed to a minimum. Just a test drive. In the rock hill video we were at street pressure in the tires and that was the easy route up. Not really a challenge, just a test.
As far as trailers are concerned, it will only ride on a trailer if the trip is longer than a couple hundred miles or if where it's going is extreme. I have a daily driver YJ that I have pounded for years and has been driven just about everywhere it's ever been. However, when you are wheeling extreme trials you would have to be a fool to not have a plan for your return trip home. Sooooo, trailer queen....I wouldn't call it that. I prefer to wheel what I drove but sometimes you want to get home on time. I can tell by the rigs in their pictures that some guys here have never seen a real trail so I don't expect them to understand.....high pass dirt roads are still just dirt roads fellas!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok, so I just have to get personal against my better judgement......Teckman02, I can see that you have never been on anything more than a dirt road with your grocery getter and I am really confused by your suppressed desires to "boink" your sister???? And your flat refusal to spend a little money and time to make your Jeep a little more than it is??? Quit being a sideline detractor and focus on your little Jeep's needs.
Mr. tjkj2002, I believe your headlights exceed Colorado's height laws.....what do you have to say for yourself legal eagle?? And what about "I didn't build it for gas mileage".....I didn't build it for your approval! I didn't build it for a speedometer! I didn't build it for ABS! Wow I can do it too....that's your answer to your detractors, so it works for me too! HA! now what?

So, with that being said, when I drive it through Ohio on my way to wheel Colorado (again) I will hook up with you fellas and let ya'll sit in it :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:19 am 
LOST Member

:-)r :-)r WELL YOUNG MAN I NEVER.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:25 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

ROKHOPPERJ25 wrote:
Thank goodness for those Jeep engineers. The NGC controller uses the transmissions input and output speed sensors and throttle position to determine shift points. In the event that ABS input is lost it has the logic to still shift the trans at the correct points. We drove it downtown yesterday to a fund raiser, as evidenced in the video, and shift points were right on the money. It also drove fantastic, tracked straight and without a single weight on those wheels it was smooth as glass up to over 50 mph, or at least that's what my GPS said :goink: .
In the hill climb snippet I was in low range and manually shifted from 1st to 2nd. I wasn't trying to blow it up and traction was excellent so I was keeping my speed to a minimum. Just a test drive. In the rock hill video we were at street pressure in the tires and that was the easy route up. Not really a challenge, just a test.
As far as trailers are concerned, it will only ride on a trailer if the trip is longer than a couple hundred miles or if where it's going is extreme. I have a daily driver YJ that I have pounded for years and has been driven just about everywhere it's ever been. However, when you are wheeling extreme trials you would have to be a fool to not have a plan for your return trip home. Sooooo, trailer queen....I wouldn't call it that. I prefer to wheel what I drove but sometimes you want to get home on time. I can tell by the rigs in their pictures that some guys here have never seen a real trail so I don't expect them to understand.....high pass dirt roads are still just dirt roads fellas!

Now lets back up some here
I think some have voiced their views about how they see your "DEALERS" build.
But you come out saying that none of us have ever been on a real trail and only drive on dirt roads. Keeping that line of thought is not the best way to win friends and influence others. We all build and drive our Jeeps to and from where ever we can wheel at. Living in Ohio ( since you have brought it to the forefront) we generally drive at least 3-4 hours and sometimes over 7 hours just to get to good trails/ off road parks) And yse we drive there and back. Last year TJKJ drove his from Colorado to Tenn. to wheel at the EJS, and ah,...no trailer. I know for a fact his build took a long time since he was choosing parts that not only worked well together BUT also would be his daily driver. We don't have a dealer backing us and manufactures sending us parts as well.
So may I suggest you choose your wording more carefully as I'm sure there are many who would like to meet you and show you just how our dirt road driving KJs/KKs do going ahead of you and letting you try and follow.
Now back to your build
and just trying to help

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Come on now....I wasn't picking on any states, my mini rant was clearly directed at two specific individuals. Besides, I am enjoying this banter and my money is on us all getting along great on the trail! I know what it takes to build a true daily driver, drive it to the trail and home again rig. THIS AIN'T IT! I am not delusional. We still have a lot of details to address here and for the sake of banter I have simply antagonized those two individuals who exposed their"buttons" early on.
Back to the build....I will get the speedometer working. This was still a budget build even with the sponsors so Dynatrac axles were never an option. Antilock brakes are simply not on our agenda, not interested! One operational wheel speed sensor will bring our speedo back to life, so that's in the works. All airbags have deployed and there are no plans to repair that system. All engine systems will be working as prescribed by the Feds though so splicing our mini cats into my exhaust system is on the list...no check engine light. We are running drive flanges in the front but I am angling for some hubs to make street driving a little more comfortable. I am already rethinking my choice of a rear spool because yelping hunting dogs seem to gather the attention of everyone and also requires a little extra throttle to drive around the Walmart parking lot. We will complete our interior cage and add some rocker protection and a few other well placed tubes to prevent body damage. Some removable mudflaps will bring us into compliance for over the road travel and our rear bumper and soon to be front bumper will clear us on bumper height. This Jeep is going to work well, drive great and look good, that was our goal from the beginning. We have no plans for it to be a daily driver and if I trailer it somewhere it's because I play hard and nothing is unbreakable. I will keep posting our progress and hope to get some trail video soon. I am going to put together a build sheet too with costs.

Best dirt roads I ever road were in Colorado so don't take me wrong!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:13 pm 

Looking forward to more updates :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:24 pm 
LOST Addict

How many miles are on the engine?

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:25 pm 
LOST Addict

I just noticed you removed the fake vents like I did. :ROTFL:

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ROKHOPPERJ25 wrote:
Mr. tjkj2002, I believe your headlights exceed Colorado's height laws.....what do you have to say for yourself legal eagle??

The headlight level law is 54" and I'm at 47",well under the legal limit.Oh and my speedo works,no ABS but never had it in the 1st place.I sit no higher then a stock F350,Duramax 3500,or Dodge 3500 HD.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

So whats the total amount of lift on that beauty?

Chincy 2" lift for now
31x10.50r15s
HPD30 front and D44 rear

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I missed a couple questions earlier..
Total mileage on it is 16k and some change
Wheelbase came out to 124".
Whoops, I forgot the fake vents, got'em somewhere.
Total lift over stock is 7"
Haven't added the Sprint booster yet but I have seen some differing opinions on that????Anyone have actual experience with it? Seemed to work well on a couple JKs I installed them on.
The power still felt good on the road, I was impressed with it's gitty up. It does have 5.38 gears though and, what, 215hp at the crank. That's a decent amount of ponys! My '66 LTD has 352 cubes of all iron and was only rated at 240 with a 4v Holley.Only gets 13 mph driven like a grandpa. Some technology is good.
I was also originally worried about mixing the OEM master cylinder with those huge 1 ton brakes but I was pleased to discover they work very well and the pedal height and response feel great. I removed the HCU but retained the ABS module for future logic(speedometer) :wink: I replumbed the brakes with a Jegs adjustable proportioning valve in the rear circuit.
We were able to separate the transmission cooler from the A/C condensor and reuse both(yes the a/c is cold)The condensor and cooler are a stacked unit from the factory and is very tall. We also reused the factory power steering cooler.We used a Jegs universal Chevy style radiator for up to 300hp, 22"x19".
The steering hoses were a simple fix. Return is just hose while the pressure hose is a modified Hemi truck hose.
Radiator hoses required a vision and a walk through the back room at the Napa auto parts in Suffolk, main st., who have provided us with a lot of necessaties including our Ford truck steering box(which they also kindly warranted).
We mounted the battery in the rear in a marine style box and ran 1/0 cable to the front where we coupled it to the factory battery cable. This joint will also serve as our winch junction point.
Mounted the NGC controller to the firewall.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Cool. The SpringBooster seems like a cool idea. No idea if they're legitimate or not. I'd be curious to find that out as I've heard a few bad things about them.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:34 pm 
LOST Member

Man, that is mean. Love to see that you did it successfully even though you have some things to finish up, like you said.

Curious as to why you went with those headlights over anything else, seem a bit slapped on instead and I can't say I'm a fan of that little detail :2cents: But if it works, it works right?

Super bad stupid overall though, nice job :JEEPIN:

Never Stop Exploring

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

The headlights. eeeeh, well, they do cast light ahead of us, are DOT approved and signal my desire to move left or right. I don't really like them either. Found some 7" round Dietz light assemblies from Speedway Motors and a pair of CJ7 front markers. Gonna put that setup on it and see how that looks. It kinda looks like a Cherokee now.....not at all what we had in mind! I am not fond of the rear flare either. Going to do something different back there too even if it means body work and paint.

Stuck a pic of the rear shock mount in too

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:36 pm 
LOST Member

Did you make the rear shock mount in the picture or is this a manufactured part? I am going for something like that on my project. That looks pretty stout... Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I made it. I actually welded 4 6"x6" 1/8" plates to the floor. I then holesawed through the plates, the top of the "frame" and out the bottom of the "frame". I dropped a piece of 1 1/4" x .250" wall tube down through the holes and welded top and bottom. Then I placed the tube portion of the shock mounts over my tubes and welded them in place. I did that so that the plates wouldnt just be welded to the interior floor pan. I made the tube frame work from the same 1.75" x .125" wall tubing that we used for the front tube work. I used .250" plate for the bridge on top of the tubing. You can also see the 2 main hoops that will eventually be part of the interior cage that we will get to eventually. They are also welded to the same plates that the shock bridge is welded to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next