It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MrJ's 2002 Renegade SAS Build
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Traded my TJ to a friend for his 2002 KJ Renegade and some cash. Already has the JBA control arms up front, OME lift and spacers getting about 3” lift. I just put Treadwright Guard Dog M/T’s in 245/75/16 on it, along with Genright hood vents and JCR Offroad rock rails.
I’ve had it for about 2 months and have decided to do a solid axle swap. My long-armed and locked WJ on 35’s met an untimely end New Years, and I never liked the TJ, so this is my foray into another fun, family-friendly rig for the southeast/Appalachians.
Got a HP30 out of a 96 XJ from a friend with a Lockright locker and totally rebuilt hub to hub for $200. Ordered an Artec HP30 truss with Johnny Joint UCA mount so far. If I can get a deal on the Genright Front Coilover mount kit, I’ll go that way, along with the Clayton 4-link rear truss I’m ordering for the 8.25 this week. There’s a whole list of goodies I have planned to start purchasing, but I want to do my research and make sure I’m doing this right.
As far as steering, looking at some kits on RuffStuff, along with soliciting suggestions from those who have done this before. As for the steering box, it’s a Bronco II or E-series from mid-80’s to like 95, right?
Anyway, any questions or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by MrJ on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MrJ's 2002 Renegade SAS Build
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:30 am 
LOST Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow that's a big decision. Do you have any experience with Libertys or will this be the first one?

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

this is my first one. but will be my 3rd build in 2 years. the WJ, then a fully locked, caged TJ, now this. Just another project, but don't get me wrong... I would never start this unless i had a support structure I thought would enable me to pull it off. JeepersDen in Orlando will be helping me out. I'm also the founder of Florida4x4, which has over 1000 members all across the state, with a great many SAS's under their belts. I also don't plan on doing this for 6-ish months after I've researched the doo doo out of it and stockpiled every possible part needed. I just wish some of the more experienced SAS guys in here would open up with some advice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:19 pm 
LOST Member

The Artec Truss... I went with that on the rear. When I got it I didn't know what to think... I put it on the axle over the weekend and was very empresses how stout it was. It sure didn't look that way when it show at the door. After fine tuning it with a grinder to the axle and a combo of 1/8 7018, 3/32 7018 and some 3/32 6011's its like a tank :SOMBRERO: The truss your looking at will take some weld time for sure, its longer then the one I just installed. I would go to a salvage yard and get Bronco 2 gear box, the cheapest POS you can find, then go to your auto parts store of your choice and trade it in for a brand-new one. Thats what I did then I had my local Jeep shop send it to Redneck Ram to be reto-fitted for their hydraulic assist steering That cost $550.00 for their service, kit and parts. There turn around time is a couple of weeks. I don't know who else is running hydro booty steering? Most people used Long Arm kits, I chose to 4link the front and rear. Everything you do, SFA to a Liberty is custom work. Long arm are bolt on parts for other vehicles, but can serve there purpose in a liberty build. 4link kits can be found more cost affective. I went with MetalCloak bushings, for the ride, because I'm handicap and the greater flex for slow speed crawling. Theres lots to consider before starting this kind of project. You have a Great looking Jeep for your project and those rims will be awesome on your Renegade :JEEPIN: bshooter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

80-96 bronco/e-series van box? like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110799209774?ss ... 1423.l2649

got it for half that locally. i was looking at redneck ram for the WJ, and a few friends around here have used them. good to know. thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I run a '90 F350 non-HD box(3 bolts not the 4 bolt HD box),same box as the F150 and E series.Never needed hydro assist and there is not a lot of room to run it anyways after all is said and done.If you need hydro assist and using a D30 in the front there is a huge problem and you'll just be breaking parts.The D30 housing,yes that includes the HP30,is just so weak(axle tubes) along with the inner C's.Plus you move the weak point(if you add chromo axles) to the actual gear set if running 35" tires.The KJ is a heavy pig,more so after doing a SFA swap,my KJ weighs more then 6000lbs(stock 3.7 4wd is about 4000lbs).I'd bend the axle tubes/inner C's on a D30 just daily driving it under my KJ and why I went with a front HP44 with 1/2" axle tubes and twice as thick inner C's.The axle tubes on D30's are only 3/16" thick.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks man. what about 33's? or does that impair clearance? would it be better to just buy a reman one at the local auto parts store or get one and have it redone?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 am 
LOST Newbie

also, on your brakelines, do you recommend a kit or did you order custom?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MrJ wrote:
also, on your brakelines, do you recommend a kit or did you order custom?

I already had the JBA braided line kit,just kept the junction blocks and ordered longer lines and the correct ends to work on my Chevy front calipers and Ford rear calipers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MrJ wrote:
thanks man. what about 33's? or does that impair clearance? would it be better to just buy a reman one at the local auto parts store or get one and have it redone?

33's here on HPD30, wheeled the crap out of it and daily driven for over 5 yrs and no problems, knock wood.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

35's and a 30hp (C-braces,Chromo's, Sleeved etc..) no issues until I jumped it 30 feet or so and bent the inner C, Mine weighs 4800lbs without me now was 4197lbs before the swap Most of the extra weight is unsprung weight.(450lbs wheels/tires, Loaded Dana 30, Control arms...) Switching to a Ford 44 from a 78 over the winter I think just because I have it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

awesome. thanks guys. i'll probably stick to 33's then just to be safe. Artec truss came in last week. picking the axle up sunday on the way home from a wedding. prob get truss in next week, and then the artec c-gussets shortly thereafter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:24 am 
LOST Newbie

picked up the HP30 yesterday. going to be grinding off the UCA mounts this week and having the truss and gussets welded on. just ordering parts at this point, not much more to share.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

axle is trussed and gusseted. 1-ton steering delivered from ruff stuff. a local shop is finishing up a few builds for friends then doing mine. it will be ready in time for jeep beach in april, the shop has a pair of full width JKU's for a husband/wife and a stretching/long-arming of an already well-built LJ, then I'm next in line. I know it's a few months away and i can hardly contain myself, but it will be worth it in the end since a professional shop is doing it and i will be able to be right there helping the whole time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:55 pm 
LOST Member

Glad to see you getting things together.. It takes a lot of planing to pull it off :SOMBRERO: I plain to be their at Jeep Beach this up April. Thats a fun event. :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

So long time with no posts because nothing really has been going on. just collecting doo doo. ended up with some JKUR 44's that are going in. Picked up new axle tubes today with a "tad" thicker walls ;) I'll try and keep this updated more often now that we're starting. I came back to Orlando from Atlanta so that I can be at the shop everyday and help/be a part of it. My trusses, CO hoops/brackets, etc. all shipped last week, so I expect them any day now. Looking forward to finally getting this pig rolling! The LJ belongs to a friend and was just finished by the same shop that's doing mine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:39 am 
LOST Member

Need some updates :grim: :grim: :grim: :CAMPING:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 am 
LOST Newbie

where was i? that's right. I went home and worked at the shop until we started mine. got the rear all done and the frame reinforcement in a few days. 3-linked the rear which took no time at all. used the factory coil seats on the kj to set up the perches on the new axle. i've got saggy rancho 4" jku coils in there now and i'm thinking we're going to have to go to 6" jku coils to get the height we're looking for. i haetd pics of it sitting on it's own in my old phone, but not in the new one.

i came back home from orlando about a week ago to seriously get on the job hunt since i'm going to have a vehicle again. the builder was in cali last week doing the bfg ko2 testing so it sat. i'll get pics up as i have them. anyone has questions, holler.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:05 am 
LOST Junkie

Looking good! But why isthe lift outside?

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

Chincy 2" lift for now
31x10.50r15s
HPD30 front and D44 rear