It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions to SFA Champions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi guys,

I've been toturing myself for weeks with the idea of doing a 6in lift on my 2006 CRD and it really seems to be "Not worth it" as Troy aka TJKJ2002 and Mr Tom told me.

So instead of getting myself down I have started to think SFA.

I don't want to remortgage my house but I believe I have a budget that could make it possible.

First thing first:

In order to run 35in tyres do I need to replace the rear axle as well in order to get a wider stance?

I've been "offered" a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 that is going to be scrapped soon.
I know the Front axle is a D30 (186 FBI) and the rear axle is a D44 (226RBA). The transfer case is a NV247.

Is this any good for my project? If not what should I look for?

Thanks for your advice.

Chris

Post subject: Re: Questions to SFA Champions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The WK has a low pinion D30,weak for anything over a 32" tires,more so running the stock CV axles.The rear is a D44A,yep it's a aluminum center section D44 with only a lunchbox locker as a option,no ARB or Detroit anything.The t-case is total junk being a full time 4wd t-case.

SFA'ing a CRD bring many challenges the gassers will never run into due to the intercooler hoses.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
The WK has a low pinion D30,weak for anything over a 32" tires,more so running the stock CV axles.The rear is a D44A,yep it's a aluminum center section D44 with only a lunchbox locker as a option,no ARB or Detroit anything.The t-case is total junk being a full time 4wd t-case.

SFA'ing a CRD bring many challenges the gassers will never run into due to the intercooler hoses.

Troy if the jeep is an 04 it is a "WJ" NOT!!! a WK you of all people should know this by now

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Also the 44a is not a too bad axle if the jeep was an 02 overland the 44a would be ok the limited slip that is in that axle has never given me any problems in my 02 grand. If you look hard enough you could find yourself some JK d44's for about 600 for the rear and 1500 for the front you just have to look.....

Heck about a year ago I found a JK 44 rear for 150 but it was sold before I got to it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

teckman02 wrote:
Also the 44a is not a too bad axle if the jeep was an 02 overland the 44a would be ok the limited slip that is in that axle has never given me any problems in my 02 grand. If you look hard enough you could find yourself some JK d44's for about 600 for the rear and 1500 for the front you just have to look.....

Heck about a year ago I found a JK 44 rear for 150 but it was sold before I got to it

Thanks for your input, at the end of the day I would like to build something I can afford. If I was in the states I wouldn't doubt about Troy's advice but in Uk to get the perfect axles is going to be impossible so they would have to be shipped from US.

Has anyone ever tried to put a V8 4.7l in a CRD? Just a thought..:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

teckman02 wrote:

Troy if the jeep is an 04 it is a "WJ" NOT!!! a WK you of all people should know this by now

Yeah fat fingered that one,ment for it to say WJ.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Big Boulonnais wrote:

Has anyone ever tried to put a V8 4.7l in a CRD? Just a thought..:)

Talk about a DOWNGRADE!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:

So to find a Front Dana 44 I look for an axle of a TJ Rubicon or JK but what about a Dana HP44? In which model of Jeep were they fitted? Same for a rear Dana 60 is it out of a Jeep or what other vehicle?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Big Boulonnais wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:

So to find a Front Dana 44 I look for an axle of a TJ Rubicon or JK but what about a Dana HP44? In which model of Jeep were they fitted? Same for a rear Dana 60 is it out of a Jeep or what other vehicle?

Thanks

The TJ Rubicon front D44 is low pinion and uses D30 outers,no stronger then a HP30.I use a HP44 from a '75 Ford F100,no HP44's ever used in a Jeep,only early Ford's got those.'77-'78.5 F100/F150's are the ones to get since they have the weld on wedges that can be cut off to weld new mounts on easily.Also the HP44(1/2 ton version) is 5.5 on 5 bolt pattern and 67" WMS to WMS which is 7" wider then a stock KJ.