It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any reason no ones gone Clayton sfa?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:48 pm 
LOST Member

I am thinking about Clayton's xj lift. I am undecided about 3 link 4 link or radius arm set up. I am leaning towards the radius arm set up because it used stock oem axle mounts for an xj and I am hoping to keep my stock rear as well. I have taken one measurement of the xj unibody rails to find they are wider and not quite as deep. I am enrolled in a welding class so I'm thinking I could make something work. I still have a bunch of research I wanna do but definitely think this sort of route is the way to go for a college kid. This is where I'm at as far as planning in the ole noggin.

Post subject: Re: Any reason no ones gone Clayton sfa?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:57 pm 
LOST Member

:roll: ? I guess no one has decided to go that way.. I'm doing an upper triangulated rear and a lower triangulated front. No bolt on parts here :banghead: Clayton makes good stuff, if you go that way.. Good Luck bshooter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:15 pm 
LOST Member

I feel like it could be a not so difficult route since the hp30 from an xj would only need shock mounts and the xj came with the 8.25 so I would have a matching rear truss no problem. I really digg the Clayton skids as well. I'll be doing a bunch more research and posting back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm waiting on a Clayton 5.5" long arm kit that I'm installing on a TJ. I had the same thought pattern you did in a sense but with the TJ kit. I'll know more once it arrives and i can get an idea of how it would work on the Liberty.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:45 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Afraid it would end up like this one
Springs were angled out at the tops due to where they sat on the diff and where they had to be to mount the spring buckets. Sat a weird angle .
If I remember they used a Grand Cherokee lift but very similar of course

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:53 pm 
LOST Member

It wasn't my plan to use the tradition spring set up that you can do with full widths. I want air shocks or coilovers so I can successfully run stock width axles. I hope I understood you correctly tommudd. If it is the control arm location that gets in the way then that's a bummer. Another idea I am looking into is the possiblity of running the rock lizard Godzilla frame stiffeners for rock lizards sfa kit and hypothetically if it worked Clayton's three link front end.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Chipppy wrote:
and hypothetically if it worked Clayton's three link front end.

I think the motor mount and exhaust are in the way of the upper link in a 3-link...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:57 pm 
LOST Member

The Aussie Sfa kj is probably my favorite build. I wanting to look like it as far as ride height and what not. Maybe minus all the inboarding suspension. I am also fond of the height and look of JJ's build and The Redkj.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

Chipppy wrote:
It wasn't my plan to use the tradition spring set up that you can do with full widths. I want air shocks or coilovers so I can successfully run stock width axles. I hope I understood you correctly tommudd. If it is the control arm location that gets in the way then that's a bummer. Another idea I am looking into is the possiblity of running the rock lizard Godzilla frame stiffeners for rock lizards sfa kit and hypothetically if it worked Clayton's three link front end.

It's not the control arms that get in the way but the KJ's unibody is wider than a XJ's. You could always cut into the body and extend the coil cup inward and replace the metal you cut out around it.

P.S. Incase you hadn't noticed I'm pretty bad at explaining things so I hope you got what I'm getting at

Chincy 2" lift for now
31x10.50r15s
HPD30 front and D44 rear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:49 pm 
LOST Member

That is why air shocks or coilovers are needed. I mentioned something about that earlier in the thread.