It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Want to open up my KJs potential with a SFA conversion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

The KJ has a ton of potential. Its widely made fun of by those with the wranglers and CJs, but I want something different. I currently have a 3 inch lift with 33s, and im itching for something more. I am familiar with the basics on how to do the SFA swap and plan on doing it at home. Unfortunately I still have many questions to be answered before i can continue to begin ordering the things on my parts list. Does anyone make a truly bolt on kit? I have been trying to get a hold of Rock Lizard Fabrications for a solid year now and have heard nothing so I thought id reach out and see what you all had to say

Post subject: Re: Want to open up my KJs potential with a SFA conversion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:48 pm 
LOST Addict

No bolt on kit. RL had one.....but yeah.

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:48 pm 
LOST Addict

And what all did you do to fit 33s on a 3" lift. What lift did you use?

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

4x4kayak2112 wrote:
And what all did you do to fit 33s on a 3" lift. What lift did you use?

I have an arb old man emu lift kit that i got from rocky road outfitters. Some custom work was done as well as a few extra parts to make the suspension components nicer, but otherwise bent the pinch welds in and did some trimming until I no longer had rubbing so I could pass inspection. Wheels great but id like to get 35s on a Solid axle with lockers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:09 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

RRO :ROTFL:
3 inch and 33s :lol:
No mention of regear :juggle:
So how much can you do yourself as far as fabrication/ welding etc?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Well I think I am going to begin by saying I am in no way trying to prove anything. I am 18 years old and have done some rebuild jobs on a CJ7 with my old man a couple years back. I am currently going to school and on my way to get my mechanics certification so I have a lot to learn about cars but i feel like I'm no ( * ) that just posts remarks to get negative feedback. I simply post to receive answers that could be deemed useful in producing a successfully completed SFA swap.

The liberty runs fine with the power its got without re-gearing right now. But if my jeeps livelihood is of your concern I will be doing it this spring with the long list of other routine services.

As for welding, I know the most basic of basic. I wouldn't trust myself to go hacking away at the uni body though, so I'd like to either learn more, or have my dad help out with that one. With that being said, I was curious where id have to add support or even weld the mounts for the axle.

Thanks,
Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:48 am 

jcv_kj04 wrote:
Well I think I am going to begin by saying I am in no way trying to prove anything. I am 18 years old and have done some rebuild jobs on a CJ7 with my old man a couple years back. I am currently going to school and on my way to get my mechanics certification so I have a lot to learn about cars but i feel like I'm no ( * ) that just posts remarks to get negative feedback. I simply post to receive answers that could be deemed useful in producing a successfully completed SFA swap.

The liberty runs fine with the power its got without re-gearing right now. But if my jeeps livelihood is of your concern I will be doing it this spring with the long list of other routine services.

As for welding, I know the most basic of basic. I wouldn't trust myself to go hacking away at the uni body though, so I'd like to either learn more, or have my dad help out with that one. With that being said, I was curious where id have to add support or even weld the mounts for the axle.

Thanks,
Jeff

There are a few good builds on here to read through that they were done right, not hack jobs
So start by reading ones that were done by ; bshooter, tjkj2002, USAFCOP, JJsTJ, all good builds
Lot of ones are started but never finished due to getting in over their heads before they knew it

No hacking on the unibody UNLESS you are going full roll cage , no sense in making it weaker

As far as your gearing, its making the engine and transmission work harder now, lugs the engine down , transmission runs hotter etc
Don't see how you are running 33s and the small amount of lift you have, you need to run at least 4.5-5 inches then be close with out hacking away at the unibody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I appreciate the info. I estimate close to 7k in parts. How close am i with that estimate in mind? And how will flex affect the unibody? I was referring more to adding supports to it as I thought the manufactures were more concerned with horizontal movement with the stock IFS compared to vertices flex seen with a solid axle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Tommud: I also see you have an interest in Harley Davdison. You seem to have a couple more years on me with riding experience but I just bought a 2014 dyna street bob with a 103ci Back in August.That's stroker territory back in the day.. but anyways.. I've got a cam on the way and I'm doing a cross country trip with my dad here in june. I was curious what you had so we can talk jeeps and bikes as this build thread progresses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:47 pm 

jcv_kj04 wrote:
Tommud: I also see you have an interest in Harley Davdison. You seem to have a couple more years on me with riding experience but I just bought a 2014 dyna street bob with a 103ci Back in August.That's stroker territory back in the day.. but anyways.. I've got a cam on the way and I'm doing a cross country trip with my dad here in june. I was curious what you had so we can talk jeeps and bikes as this build thread progresses.

Dyna's are nice sized bikes, I've always liked the FX line when they were building them. Had a FXRT Sport Glide from 86-2004 , best bike I ever had and still kick myself for selling it. ( did double my money and that's after riding it over 98,000 miles ) My first bike was in 1975, chopped 68 Sporty, built all wrong when I got it but when it ran it was wild looking for sure. Have had a couple of other Sporty's that were just built for fun "B2B" bikes. Last one had a big bore kit, punched to 1250 and dynoed at 114 HP. Fun on a Sporty, had the European gearing so more on the high end. I have been kind of looking at the Switchbacks, but thinking of more a older Shovel, more of a rat bike type build, no chrome, no worries, just have fun keepin my knees in the breeze.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am really liking it for sure! I was looking at a sportster for a while but now that ive ridden a dresser and then my street bob I would definitely be kicking myself if I had a 1200. I dont rag on them at all, but I love not having to search for gears like you do on the rice burners! Jeeps and Harleys I'm proud to say that my dad started me young. Its always been a MOPAR or no car deal for us haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:32 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

jcv_kj04 wrote:
I appreciate the info. I estimate close to 7k in parts. How close am i with that estimate in mind? And how will flex affect the unibody? I was referring more to adding supports to it as I thought the manufactures were more concerned with horizontal movement with the stock IFS compared to vertices flex seen with a solid axle.

Don't know if you started yet, but $7k is a bit low... I tried to do mine low end price, building it all ourselves with used axles....if I remember correctly last time I looked at my build book, mine is up to $15k including the work we did on it in October for front suspension upgrades.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:21 pm 
LOST Member

:POPCORN: