It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SFA KK: What are the main roadblocks compared to KJ?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:55 pm 
LOST Member

I have a pipe dream of doing a SFA KK once my student loans are paid off. I know its going to be a money pit and require a lot of fabrication, but Jeeps are built, not bought, right?

Doing some research, it looks like the main KK differences that affect an axle swap are the electronics and gas tank location. Is this correct? I figure I can put a tank where the spare goes and put the spare on the back, which gives more room for the rear axle/control arms. As far as the electronics go, I am not worried about that either, as I can always disable ESP (and use it off road only).

Numerous junkyard upgrades

Post subject: Re: SFA KK: What are the main roadblocks compared to KJ?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:22 am 
LOST Member

Have you seen this thread == KK SFA, 60 FR, 70RR,42 MTR's … a few threads down...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bshooter wrote:
Have you seen this thread == KK SFA, 60 FR, 70RR,42 MTR's … a few threads down...

Yeah and it's been like almost a year since any updates.Not a easy task to keep it street worthy with all the electric nannies the KK has.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I would think the electronics would be the major obstacle. The JK has a gas tank in a similar location, so it might work on the KK. That's something I'd have to look into if I was to ever sfa my KK.

As for getting the electronics to work, possibly looking into how people swap 1 tons into JKs and keep electronics might help, but I'm not sure at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bmxer524 wrote:
I would think the electronics would be the major obstacle. The JK has a gas tank in a similar location, so it might work on the KK. That's something I'd have to look into if I was to ever sfa my KK.

As for getting the electronics to work, possibly looking into how people swap 1 tons into JKs and keep electronics might help, but I'm not sure at all.

Places like Dynatrac and Currie make bolt in 1 tons for the JK with the same bolt pattern(or 8 lug if you choose) and the correct unit bearings for the JK's ABS system.

You can't compare anything for the JK to even the KK,the JK is a 100% order out of a catalog type builds for everything(even HEMI and LS1 engine swaps) and pretty much everything is a custom build for the KK.No one supports the KK for tuning either like the JK(not talking about engine tuning).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
bshooter wrote:

Yeah and it's been like almost a year since any updates.Not a easy task to keep it street worthy with all the electric nannies the KK has.

Yes, just looking at my thread and realized it will be a year next month since my last update. Wow!
I have made no real changes except for suspension tuning and a belly pan. Drove it on a 500 mile round trip to the mountains near Charlottesville VA. and was able to smash the passenger rocker a little and crease a rear door.
Took a spin down to Corolla beach NC after that and put a bunch of beach miles on it.
All this driving has been with no electronics and I will say this......it kinda sucks :wink: . My gps batteries went dead 2 days before the trip was over so I had to guess speed. I would like more finite control of the transmission in the mountains but on flat ground it did ok. My muffler is very annoying and gas mileage is horrible(42s/5.38s) what did I expect :-)r
Goodyear makes a fantastic tire!!!!!Smooth bounce free ride!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:34 pm 
LOST Member

Bmxer524 wrote:

Jk and 1 tons?

Gas tank thoughts:

You could maybe make a good 3 link setup in the rear. If it was beefy enough if may hold up depending on tires size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:51 pm 
LOST Member

None of these newer Jeeps with IFS and Uni-bodys have enough BEEF to just add 1 Tons and make a hard core rig.. YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN - BY DESIGN .. Even if your not sure what your getting into when you start a project like this -You have to Build for Strength … Your Life could depend on it... :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:02 am 
LOST Member

bshooter wrote:
None of these newer Jeeps with IFS and Uni-bodys have enough BEEF to just add 1 Tons and make a hard core rig.. YOU HAVE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN - BY DESIGN .. Even if your not sure what your getting into when you start a project like this -You have to Build for Strength … Your Life could depend on it... :JEEPIN:

As a design student in realizing that. I didn't mean to say you could slap in tons. I wouldn't go over built 44
Your jeep is killer by the way. Changed the way I thought about building rigs seeing how it looked having double and lower triangulated f/r under the kj. After getting obsessed with the ifs koh rigs I always dreamed of kj setup like yours and 12-14 double bypass&coil overs and 35's. Would love to see your rig some day. I am close to the mobile area of Alabama.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:31 am 
LOST Member

I make a trip to Boggs & Boulders in Andalusia, AL in the spring and our local park is opening March 7….PanamaCity, Fl... :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN:

Post subject: SFA KK: What are the main roadblocks compared to KJ?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:37 am 
LOST Member

Good to know. I can still try to wheel [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES] lol selling my kj and have a 07 fjc not my decision I'm blind wheeling it.