It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sas computer questions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

What sensors are in the ifs that need to be reworked to make the computer happy? Are they reading off of the tone rings or different sensors and where are they located? On the axle or in the unit bearings or both?

Trying to research the viability of a sas with the computer being happy. Jk axle maybe? If the sensors are in the unit bearings, can they be swapped to a solid axle? Tone rings similar?

Havent had time to pull the front end apart on my kk to find out.

Thanks guys

Post subject: Re: sas computer questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:12 am 
LOST Member

JK axles are plug and play but the JKd44 is just a d30 with D44 gears. The tubes and all that fun stuff is still d30 size.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:20 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

On the KJs, If you have non abs and use the rear axle, the computer only needs to be compensated for the speedo. Otherwise, your ABS needs to be on whatever axle you pt in. If you use a new rear axle, you will need to get a signal generator to hook onto either a gear driven case speedo output or a new tone ring rear axle needs used.

If using a KK I do not know

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:38 pm 
LOST Member

Im Currently Running 39.5x16.5/17 Pitbull Rockers on the KJ Rubicon 44. Axle tube side is 2.75 smaller then 3"+ axles BUT they make sleeves that go in them and add .25" to the thickness to make the 2.75 OD axle .5" Thick== this make the axle something like 7 times stronger the an axel tube of the same .5 thickness…. I am currently running RCV shafts making the it as strong as it can be made… 3 years of road and trail use and NO mechanical failures.. JK axles WORK. If I ever bend the"C's" I will replace them with Heavy Duty "C's" … You never really stop building a Jeep unless you don't want to do the Jeep Thing anymore. There are many ways to build Jeeps, go with what you think works and if you brake something FIX IT --- That simple...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:09 pm 
LOST Member

Short Bus wrote:
What sensors are in the ifs that need to be reworked to make the computer happy? Are they reading off of the tone rings or different sensors and where are they located? On the axle or in the unit bearings or both?

Our 2005 KJ has no sensors on the front IFS at all. The speedo sensor is in the rear diff pumpkin.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have the jk 44 rear and an 05' crd, it won't plug in. The KJ had a single sensor in the diff and the JK has two sensors at the hubs. Not sure what im going to do there. Does the rubicon 44 have the single sensor in the diff?

Im removing the abs too so Im not sure what the ECM is going to do, should be interesting. :rockon:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Verbal_CRD wrote:
I have the jk 44 rear and an 05' crd, it won't plug in. The KJ had a single sensor in the diff and the JK has two sensors at the hubs. Not sure what im going to do there. Does the rubicon 44 have the single sensor in the diff?

Im removing the abs too so Im not sure what the ECM is going to do, should be interesting. :rockon:

The JK's use a 4 channel ABS while the '05 KJ's used a 3 channel ABS.

The JK front may work but the rear will not be a plug and play type of deal.Your going to loose ABS no matter what with a '02-'05 KJ.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:13 pm 
LOST Member

You have to use the JK sensor wire jumper... The KJ wire jumper dose not work for some reason....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:15 am 
LOST Member

Verbal_CRD wrote:
I have the jk 44 rear and an 05' crd, it won't plug in. The KJ had a single sensor in the diff and the JK has two sensors at the hubs.

People have added the sensor and tone ring to diffs that never came with it. Dana 60's and Ford 9" are common targets.
One example here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/402 ... stion.html

Another option is a signal convertor box to use one of the wheel-end ABS sensors to drive the speedo:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd126.htm

...also a GPS-based solution:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd837.htm

A third route is to get your speedo signal from the tcase. (Although not with the stock KJ tcase) The right slip-yoke
eliminator kit, or a tcase swap, opens the door to that option.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

u2slow wrote:
Verbal_CRD wrote:
I have the jk 44 rear and an 05' crd, it won't plug in. The KJ had a single sensor in the diff and the JK has two sensors at the hubs.

People have added the sensor and tone ring to diffs that never came with it. Dana 60's and Ford 9" are common targets.
One example here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/402 ... stion.html

Another option is a signal convertor box to use one of the wheel-end ABS sensors to drive the speedo:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd126.htm

...also a GPS-based solution:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd837.htm

A third route is to get your speedo signal from the tcase. (Although not with the stock KJ tcase) The right slip-yoke
eliminator kit, or a tcase swap, opens the door to that option.

Be aware that you should not run a signal converter to keep ABS,it will function when you don't want it to and cuase other issues with the ABS system.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Im eliminating ABS regardless. Using a willwood prop valve and I think i read that pulling the relay would keep the light from being on... I'll guess i'll find out when i get power back into my system.

bshooter, which jumper wire are you referring too? Im guessing from the hub to the plug? I'm only worried about the speedo for the ecm but i know yours is also a CRD and you don't seem to have trouble driving around, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:27 pm 
LOST Member

That is Correct... Use the JK Jumper from the hub to the connect... This will allow the speedo to work.. on the KJ jumper the sensor end is different shaped. If I remember correctly it curves the wrong way not allowing for the signal to be picked up...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

bshooter wrote:
That is Correct... Use the JK Jumper from the hub to the connect... This will allow the speedo to work.. on the KJ jumper the sensor end is different shaped. If I remember correctly it curves the wrong way not allowing for the signal to be picked up...

Awesome, thats what i needed to know. Appreciate it greatly!