It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KJ SFA Speedometer?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Considering an SFA swap on my KJ, I have been hearing there will be problems with the speedometer? Has anyone found a way around it?

Post subject: Re: KJ SFA Speedometer?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:20 am 
LOST Addict

That should be the absolute least of your concern..........

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:33 am 
LOST Newbie

You might say that, but I've done 4 Rockwell straight axle swaps, and a 1 ton swap. It's kinda what I do. Just not sure of the electronic ins and outs of the KJs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Johndeere87 wrote:
You might say that, but I've done 4 Rockwell straight axle swaps, and a 1 ton swap. It's kinda what I do. Just not sure of the electronic ins and outs of the KJs

For '06 you must retain the ABS on all 4 corners(4 channel ABS) since the speedo piggy backs of the ABS speed sensors.

If you had a '05 or older KJ the speedo issue is very easy to overcome,I have a post in this section how to do it but will not work for '06/'07 KJ's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well that is going to be a problem. I suppose I could just use a GPS unit, But I like to see what kind of wheel speed I am making when I am slipping. I have a "Cyberdyne" brand speedometer on my dune buggy, that can adapt to almost any rotating source, and can be easily calibrated to pick up vehicle speed off of it. I was hoping to use the factory speedometer however. Thanks for the reply

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was reading the some of the posts about having issues with the Jeep stalling due to having no speedometer. That sounds a bit scary. I once had that problem while climbing a large hill with my rockwell swapped F150, engine stalled and I barely had enough brakes to keep me from backing over sever people on ATVs that would not give me space :furious:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Johndeere87 wrote:
I was reading the some of the posts about having issues with the Jeep stalling due to having no speedometer. That sounds a bit scary. I once had that problem while climbing a large hill with my rockwell swapped F150, engine stalled and I barely had enough brakes to keep me from backing over sever people on ATVs that would not give me space :furious:

Yes sudden braking can cause the engine to stall without a working OE speedo since the trans has no idea what's going on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is there anything I can do with a tone ring on my pinion and some creative wiring and programming?