It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So who is next?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So who else is Really looking into SFA-ing their KJ w/in the next year? Anyone aquired any of the necessary parts yet? Still undecided?
Anyone?
Bueller?

Wonder what kind of trouble I can get into with these?
Front & Rear Rubicon D44's dontcha know? To go with this....
4:1 Rubi x-fer case! Mmmmm....Mmmm......Good! :twisted:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have parts envy! I'm seriously considering the 4:1 conversion, but may try to do a Grand differential before I commit to spending ten large doing a SFA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mutt wrote:
I have parts envy! I'm seriously considering the 4:1 conversion, but may try to do a Grand differential before I commit to spending ten large doing a SFA.

Thats ok, I have sleeve envy. I need some Ink.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:35 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Not for 10 grand...

Picking this up this week for 10 grand:

1998 TJ Wrangler Sport
4.0L 5 Speed A/C Hard Top Full Doors
126K Freeway Miles-Runs great!
Full lube, Tune-Up and U-joints
ARB Front Bump
Warn x9000i Winch
Hella 6" Lights
Hanson Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
4.56 Geared Dana 30 w/ ARB Locker
4.56 Geared Dana 44 w/ARB
Quick Air II Compressor
K & N Filter (not FIPK)
JKS Diskos
Header & Borla Cat Back
Hood Strut Kit
Electric Window Kit
Eclipse CD w/ Sony Speakers
Currie Arms Upper & Lower (not J aArms)
4" Lift w/ Rancho 9000 Shocks
2" Body Lift
15 x 10 Ultra 12 hole (5 total)
35 x 12.5R 15 BFG A/Ts' (2-60% 2-75% 1-New)
Black Diamond Corners
Black Rocker Guards
Kilby Gas Skid
Front Conrol Arm Brkt Skids
Radio Shack CB w/ Dig Compas
Speedy Lined Tub

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NOt exactly the answer I was looking for Matt. We have a special place for you http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=69 :wink:

BTW, sounds like a nice Jeep for the money.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
Mutt wrote:

Thats ok, I have sleeve envy. I need some Ink.

Me too, I haven't had anything new in about six years. I'll get the wife to take some pics of my work for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:02 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

JJsKJ wrote:
NOt exactly the answer I was looking for Matt. We have a special place for you http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=69 :wink:

BTW, sounds like a nice Jeep for the money.

Now JJ that doesn't sound like the new LOST attitude where all Jeeps are good Jeeps here. I haven't even got it yet and you want to stick me in a corner. Kumbahyah baby! :?

Yes it is a lot of Jeep for the money. Saw it advertised and went bug eyed. :shock: <---that's me. Still gonna use the KJ for the easy trails like John Bull, Holcomb, Calico.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, this is the SFA KJ Corner, not the modded TJ corner....Now GO TO YOUR CORNER!! :wink:

:lol:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:lol:

28D package (full skids)
Trailer tow group
Auto tranny
Trac-Loc
Jeep seat covers
K&N air filter
Moog K3199 LBJs
Frankenlift
Al's upper A arms
Goodyear wrangler silent armor
255/70-16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:00 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Whah! Whah! Whah! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I saw those rubicon axles and transfer case listed for sale on a popular web site....that's a great deal being offered but they were in california I think....

matt, that TJ is loaded with good stuff....it's got 10k worth of quality add-ons....

hey to ya'll from where its humid....

'98 TJ sport gunmetal blue
33's with modifications to make them fit....still need a few more things....

first jeep....
'04 liberty sport 4x4 khaki
modified as recommended by L.O.S.T.....major fun on vacation....

L.O.S.T. (in fla.) #000496

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey to you where its humid, but hey to where its a desert in Bakersfield. 111* plus this whole week and upper 100* last week. Dry heat though, only like 18-35% humidity. Anyways, I dont think I could ever justify spendin 10 large for an SFA on the KJ. 5K might even be a little steep but who knows. I thought a bolt on was in the works.

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Boy has this gone OT. Thought maybe others that Were interested would chime in w/ their thoughts and plans.

So nobody thinks the KJ platform is worth modding up for $10K?
Is it not worthy? Is a newer TJ more worthy of spending $10k on?

So a new front axle w/ locker,gears & new rear axle w/ locker and gears & discs, a new 4:1 transfer case, Mostly custom built long arm lift w/ coil overs, new CV driveshafts, 33's, rims, Labor, etc. isn't worth adding to a KJ? It happens every day to other vehicles.

I am not flaming anyone who disagrees, but I AM looking for comments from those that DO agree. At least that is what I hoped for when I started this thread.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:35 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

why be like 95% of all the other jeepers out there and have a modded XJ or TJ?....10 k isn't alot to do this mod considering to do the same suspension on a Rubicon with labor is over 10k...why buy something new if you already have a paid off vehicle that you can mod and make into a worthy trail rig and drive great on the road ...I understand when people think 10k is alot...it is alot of money...but its alot less than going thru the hassle of buying a used vehicle with could have problems that you didn't know existed.Hey Matt...you bought an XJ right?...how much was that?...now your buying a TJ for 10k..I would bet my SFA cost lest than both of those..and its alot more comfortable to drive...to broing this thread back on track...JJ you are next....unless Seth beats you to it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:52 am 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

If I had a KJ SFA conversion that I could put on myself then I think I'd certainly go for it. But hearing about cuttin' and weldin', well, that's out of my league. I really do enjoy doing the work on my beasts myself (before your start, son and I were thinking of a building a stock TJ when this one came up) and there's no appeal to me to putting my KJ into Quinn's shop for months on end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm really thinking of doing a sfa swap after my next deployment,Dynatrac 60's front and rear and the 4-speed atlas if the budget allows.I know the 60's are overkill but a dana 44 is only marginally better than the 8.25 and why replace a weak front axle with another weak dana 30(good for lite vehicles and the KJ is not a light vehicle),I was really looking at Danatrac'a new dana 80's for the front,WOW I WANT ONE :lol: .The hard part is finding a shop to to the swap for a decent price(not all of us can take to cali)so the hunt is on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:10 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

lilmatty wrote:
If I had a KJ SFA conversion that I could put on myself then I think I'd certainly go for it. But hearing about cuttin' and weldin', well, that's out of my league. I really do enjoy doing the work on my beasts myself and there's no appeal to me to putting my KJ into Quinn's shop for months on end.

My thoughts EXACTLY. And it's worse for me being as how I live so far from the experts. I love Wally's KJ, but no way I am gonna be able to go out and buy another vehicle so I can give Quinn my KJ to play with meanwhile. Maybe my tune will change down the road.

For now, the next dollars will be sunk into my Rubicon for a 2.5" OME, JKS BL and MML, MT Classic IIs and 33" BFG MTs. (except for the ARB I wanna put in my rear axle of the KJ).

Not sure which one you'll see in Moab next year. Not sure if I wanna drive a TJ cross country with a wife and 2 kids, and all our junk on the top of it, and with gas prices, no way I can flat tow it out with the KJ.

In any case - GO JJ!!!!! Can't wait to see it. You have about 8 months to git 'er done! :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:41 pm 

OK, I didn't read everyone's responses, so if I restate something already mentioned, well, you know why. I don't have a KJ, so basically, I am waiting for Ted to let me tear into his, but he says that probably won't happen until he rolls his KJ (reason why I want him to take all the hard routes on the trails :twisted: ). If I were to build an SFA KJ, that 241 isn't a bad start. Those axles are a great choice as well, although personally I would have gone the full width route. But anyways, if it were me with a KJ and those axles and that TCase, the front SFA setup would be about like every other SFA setup, like Wally's. The rear is were I would get different. If you remove your rear flares and bumper cover, you will see that the top of the actual wheel well runs in line with the bottom of the tail light. My KJ would be comp cut all the way back to the tail light, and the rear axle moved way back so it would be in the center of the new comp cut wheel well. I would be running a light 37" like the MT/R, since that would be about the max capacity of those axles, some 15x8" rims with about 3.25" Backspaceing, and some 2" wheel spacers for extra track width. And I would go with the least amount of lift possible, say 5-6". Long, low, and wide. That thing would be sick and stomp the crap out of just about anything on the trail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rock Lizard wrote:
OK, I didn't read everyone's responses, so if I restate something already mentioned, well, you know why. I don't have a KJ, so basically, I am waiting for Ted to let me tear into his, but he says that probably won't happen until he rolls his KJ (reason why I want him to take all the hard routes on the trails :twisted: ). If I were to build an SFA KJ, that 241 isn't a bad start. Those axles are a great choice as well, although personally I would have gone the full width route. But anyways, if it were me with a KJ and those axles and that TCase, the front SFA setup would be about like every other SFA setup, like Wally's. The rear is were I would get different. If you remove your rear flares and bumper cover, you will see that the top of the actual wheel well runs in line with the bottom of the tail light. My KJ would be comp cut all the way back to the tail light, and the rear axle moved way back so it would be in the center of the new comp cut wheel well. I would be running a light 37" like the MT/R, since that would be about the max capacity of those axles, some 15x8" rims with about 3.25" Backspaceing, and some 2" wheel spacers for extra track width. And I would go with the least amount of lift possible, say 5-6". Long, low, and wide. That thing would be sick and stomp the crap out of just about anything on the trail.

Hmmmm......If I could only get some more OT. :twisted:
I grabbed these D44's because I wanted something I could at least get a lower gear into. If I decide to go 35's I wanted to be able to put a 4:88 in the diffs and knew I couldn't w/ the 8.25. I also figured overall this would work well w/ both diffs already having lockers. I knew I was going to spend more on a D30/8.25 setup and not be any better than the Rubi axles. The D44 rear also will work much better w/ the Nth Degree kit as the rear stinger assy will bolt right up to the D44 and not need to be fabricated like on the 8.25. The 241 was just a bonus in this deal and I am sure I will be real glad I have it when it is all done.
"said and done" he says.....as if it will ever really be Done! JUst like any other Jeep, I am sure I will find other stuff to change/improve as time goes by. :roll:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Rock Lizard wrote:

Maybe drop in a v8 to plow over things with the 37 inch tires? :twisted: