It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
Hmmmm......If I could only get some more OT. :twisted:

JJ, I've read your original thread 3 times now, and I still don't know what you are asking? Who else is already starting? Or just ready and willing? From the looks of it, no one. There's quite a few who would like to, but you sound like the official next in line. Now about those axles, and as much ON topic as I can get, what width are they? How do they compare to the track width of a stock KJ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kickit_in4wheel wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

JJ, I've read your original thread 3 times now, and I still don't know what you are asking? Who else is already starting? Or just ready and willing? From the looks of it, no one. There's quite a few who would like to, but you sound like the official next in line. Now about those axles, and as much ON topic as I can get, what width are they? How do they compare to the track width of a stock KJ?

Sorry, I meant OT as in OVERTIME!!$$$ :lol:

The axles are from a Rubicon so they should be the same track width as a KJ. AFAIK anyway. I just figured they would be about the same.

What I am wanting to know is there Anyone else that is seriously planning on doing the SFA? Hopefully not, then we will be a rare breed! :shock:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:49 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

You guys are already a rare breed with the bumpers. Now you're going to go and SFA...GO FOR IT!! I love that you'll do it right.

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

JJsKJ wrote:
kickit_in4wheel wrote:
JJsKJ wrote:

Sorry, I meant OT as in OVERTIME!!$$$ :lol:

The axles are from a Rubicon so they should be the same track width as a KJ. AFAIK anyway. I just figured they would be about the same.

What I am wanting to know is there Anyone else that is seriously planning on doing the SFA? Hopefully not, then we will be a rare breed! :shock:

JJ, nice work on the setup, I think I saw that guy with the stuff avail down in San Diego, if that is where you got that from.

the Rubi D44 however is a low pinion D44 so it is NO stronger than a High Pinion Dana 30, but the convenience factor is there with 410s and air locker already... so that is cool..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Well I would really like to. Of course the determining factor is the money. My wife has an ongoing lawsuit because of the accident which totalled the car I had before the KJ. The trial date is in October. Depending on the settlement from that, I may or may not be able to easily afford the swap. However, I also have a major credit card with enough available credit to get it done tomorrow. :twisted: The thing is though, I have been contemplating whether or not to trade in the KJ for a TJ before the new ones come out in the fall. But I have a good bit of body damage from some stupid trees. :lol: And I already would have a bit of negative equity for a trade-in. So in weighing my options it would almost seem a better deal to keep the KJ and do the swap. Because with the negative equity I would have on a TJ plus the money I would want (need) to spend on upgrades would probably end up being more than if I just sink another ten large into the KJ to make a monster rock crawler out of it. And being the kinda guy who doesn't follow the crowd, having an SFA KJ would definitely turn some heads.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

zjmikey wrote:
[quote="JJsKJ
JJ, nice work on the setup, I think I saw that guy with the stuff avail down in San Diego, if that is where you got that from.

the Rubi D44 however is a low pinion D44 so it is NO stronger than a High Pinion Dana 30, but the convenience factor is there with 410s and air locker already... so that is cool..

Yes Mike, I was aware of that, and will build it accordingly. I was most happy w/ the rear 44 as that will allow me to go to the bigger gears if needed. I am hoping the 4.10's w/ 33's will work out fine for cruising as the transfer case will make up for the axle gearing once off road. :D

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:40 pm 
LOST Addict

What kind of labour charge are we talking about here? The parts alone are, what, $10k? The months in All-J garage scare me a little :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It only took months for Wallys because his was the 1st they had done and with a new lift system that had't been tried before. Quinn says the next one should take about a month and that is with a couple changes he is looking into. YOu have to remember, they had to fabricate most of this by hand and now the next one will be able to be done quicker.

BTW< $10k may or may not be accurate. Wally had to buy both front and rear diffs and have them rebuilt. We are talking brakes, gears, lockers, axles, labor costs for those parts, etc. HE also bought a Rubicon 241 transfer case too, brand new even. I would bet that after it was all said and done, Wally spent a good $$ Over $10K. I am hoping to get into the $8-$10k range with mine. I figure even though I paid some good money for the axles and transfer case, I won't have the costs associated with building front and rear diffs w/ air lockers. I plan on selling my stock transfer case and maybe the 8.25 (unless I cannibilize it for my XJ, Rear discs baby!) and any other parts that I don't need. I will have a complete Daystar kit available afterward, as my Frankenlift parts are going on my wifes KJ.
Regardless, I Love the KJ platform and think it is going to make a great SFA vehicle. I have many other plans for it down the road if it works out as well as I hope. Just Empty Every Pocket!! :oops:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good luck and more power to ya JJ. Good luck and cant wait to see it done! 8)

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kj in a tight spot wrote:
Good luck and more power to ya JJ. Good luck and cant wait to see it done! 8)

AMEN!!!! :D

245/75/16 MTR's
Cobra 75WX, 4' Firefly
BRX Hoses, Clear Corner Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:24 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

I have been thinking of it... Start saving, then break something, or buy new trailer.... But realistically, I have a spare front diff with shafts, And I am already behind on the kids college fund... Now if I stay in CO for a while, which may be possible now since they are lifting the controlled tour so it could be like any other base, Marty and I have discussed things, but I already promissed him his axles are first, and I have not even started looking for parts yet... I have however found a 4.7 V-8 with computer and 45 RFE out of a Dakota for cheap... And it will fit with .5" to the electric fan on the radiator... just need a pusher fan on the other side too...
But with the pressure from the financial agent on the college fund, that isn't going to happen either, unless I blow this motor :roll:

So to shorten it up, go for it JJ... Copycat... You just don't want Wally to be the only one in So Cal... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'd shoehorn in the WJ Overland 4.7HO before a SFA conversion............................imagine that, a V8 KJ :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OzLtd wrote:
I'd shoehorn in the WJ Overland 4.7HO before a SFA conversion............................imagine that, a V8 KJ :twisted: :twisted:

Then just imagine how that front diff would hold up to that! :shock:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JJsKJ wrote:
OzLtd wrote:

Then just imagine how that front diff would hold up to that! :shock:

No kiddin...it would be like, 'Hey looky here boys! Got me a new V8 for the KJ. Check out the power and torque I get...VROOM VROOM...VBOOOOOOOOOOOOOM (thats supposed to be the blown front diff, humor me :wink: )'

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:20 am 

I never said I was going to keep it 4WD! :roll:

Just a V-8 Besides it has to be more capable with more power right.... I got a locker in back, that's all I need right? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

USAFCOP wrote:
I never said I was going to keep it 4WD! :roll:

Just a V-8 Besides it has to be more capable with more power right.... I got a locker in back, that's all I need right? :?

I know somebody that would agree w/ that. :roll:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal