It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quachita National Forest Run - April 6-8
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looking at Easter weekend, April 6-8 or 9 (since i'm off school on the 9th I'll be able to travel home this day) Looking at travelling out to the Oklahoma side of the Park and then working my way back to the East through the Forest towards Hot Springs, AR. Anyone interested??? Of course camping will be done. I'll have to work out some food logisitcs in the meantime since I don't have a portable grill or stovetop. More details to come.....

I'll be looking at maps of the area over the next few days to get more familiar with the area.

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

Last edited by 2006KJSPORT4x4 on Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thats 7 hours of driving for me. Doubt it! We gotta get together somewhere around Jackson, thats pretty much the middle for everybody. Or we all go to a offroad park in Birmingham.

ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Great! As soon as you get more details...
I've been wanting to head out to the Buffalo River and that general area, I'd love to tag along for a while, I just need to make sure I don't have anywhere else to be that weekend (which i doubt that i do). I'm pretty familiar with that area, so if you have questions I may be able to help too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yea if there is any info you wish to post up about the area feel free to do so. Right now though the group that was talking about doing this on another board is starting to back out on me, so I might just have to rely on a few lost buddies to get the ride done with...which is NO PROBLEM with me.... :lol:

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:40 pm 
LOST Member

Hey, posted this on the other thread and thought that I'd move it here.
I'd be intersted. Can't lock in yet. I've been wanting to get back over there for a while now. I have a map I bought from the Forest Service that is very detailed. If you are interested in borrowing it or even just want to take a look at it let me know. It is a copyof the alrge maps that they have on the wall or spread under glass at the counter at the ranger stations. Only drawback to these is they can be a little out of date. Don't forget that the Ozark Natl Forest is very close and looks to be a little more mountainous. Are you thinking of just going out 40 and then coming back through the forest?

Grand Cherokee TCM, Skids, Superwinch EPi 9.0 in cradle mount with 125' 5/16 Viking Trail Line, Mopar Rock Rails, Trac-Loc Diff, Frankenlift in front and Skyjacker/JBA springs out back, Monroe Reflex Shocks in rear, JBA Gen 4.5 Upper Control Arms, Moog LBJ's, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

posted in the other thread as well, but yes i'd like to take a peak at that map if possible...I'm also going to be doing some web searching for some hits on trail heads and maps and whatnot so we'll see what develops...hope you can make it John!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:33 am 
LOST Member

Sure, We can take a look at it and. It's a big map, something like 24x36. It lists different road types from highway down to 'high clearance 4wd needed'. The forest is split. The eastern part is on one side and the western on the other. The only drawback is that some roads may be closed. The date on the map says it was last revised June 2000. Once we have a route, someone would need to call the ranger districts and verify the routes are open. I think I will be able to go. I took a quick look last night and there are many crossings from OK to AR that aren't paved. I think like one gravel road. This may not be a hardcore offroad trip, but more of a off pavement trip.

Grand Cherokee TCM, Skids, Superwinch EPi 9.0 in cradle mount with 125' 5/16 Viking Trail Line, Mopar Rock Rails, Trac-Loc Diff, Frankenlift in front and Skyjacker/JBA springs out back, Monroe Reflex Shocks in rear, JBA Gen 4.5 Upper Control Arms, Moog LBJ's, 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

works for me just being off pavement...my M-Ts would love the softer stuff rather then the asphalty stuff...what day would be good for us to get together to review the map you think?? Saturday evening I might be available, but i'll be helping a buddy of mine with his Tacoma most of the day so we'll see how long that takes...let me know what you think...seems like ExPo might not ahve anyone come out though...Thinking about getting a Memorial Day Weekend run setup perhaps...any thoughts on that???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:48 pm 
LOST Member

Saturday Evening might work. I've got something Saturday afternoon that might run long so I'm not sure when I'll get freed up. I also have National Geographic's Backroads Explorer (TOPO Maps) and Microsoft Mappont available. Shoot me a PM with your number and I'll give you a call on Tomorrow afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds good John....check out Expedition Portal too it seems I've started to get interest from a couple of people. That is where the whole idea for this trip arranged from so keep your eyes out there as those guys seem to really know how to plan a trip it seems, a thread was started in the general section but I think a formal trip thread will be strted towards the top in the "Planned" area...so check it out and see what you can add...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

We plan on meeting at the Choctaw Ranger Station at the junction of route 270 and Holson Valley Road. There are 2 toens to the south of this intersection, Zoe and Stapp and one main town to the North, Heavener. Feel free to bring whatever supplies you'd like. I'll be bringing a Propane grill and hamburger patties for a dinner or lunch for one of the days of the trip. I'll be leaving memphis about 830-9am with jg45 (john) and we'll get into the choctaw area no more then 6 hours later.

So far there are 3 people definitely going on this trip so far:

2006KJSPORT4x4 - Scott - 5gal gas can, propane grill, some food to share.
jg45 - John - 5gal gas can
tdesanto (from expedition portal forum) - tony - not sure yet.

Feel free to post up if you'd like to make the trip, it is from Friday April 6-Sunday April 8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well the plan as of now is to meet at the junction of route 259 and 70 in the town of Broken Bow, OK. From there we'll discuss where to go from there, to a planned site off of the Broken Bow lake or out exploring for a bit beforehand. Meeting time is set for around the noon hour. CB radios will be in use, designated channel TBD. If your at all interested in coming please let me know through a PM or a post here..THANKS!!!