It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lake Charles
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hey all,
Just wondering if anybody lives in Lake Charles area, or has good info about it. Looking to move down there within the year (if all goes as planned). Gonna be tough to give up this warm sun and fun rocks in AZ. Looking at the areas to stay away from, areas to live, etc. Any good jeep trails to hit and areas to explore? I'm ready for a trip to New Orleans in February already!! :)

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello Signcutter,

I do not live in Lake Charles, but all my extended family is from there so I have spent quite a bit of time there.

Lake Charles is a nice town, if I had a job offer there I wouldn't hesitate to take it. It has an industrial area around where I-10 crosses the ship channel and the lake, with several refineries, etc. But there is a good seperation between the industrial area and the city itself.

One set of my grandparents lived next to the Prien Lake Mall, by Ryan Street and Prien Lake Road. The area they lived in is now older, somewhat run-down, and has picked up some inner-city blight - houses in a state of semi-disrepair, etc. In the city itself, I think the nicer areas are the old streets down by the south shore of the Lake - there are some very fine homes in there, it is a joy to go through there around Christmas to look at the lights - and down south of the I-210 Loop once you get past the Ryan Street exit. Two of my aunts live down in that area of the city, as well as my uncle and my Grandmother. (My family moved her out of her old house - her and my Grandfather had been in it since 1948) There are also some outlying towns where you could buy land, if that is what you are looking for. Sulphur and Westlake are just on the other side of the I-10 or I-210 bridges. My other set of grandparents lived in Westlake/ Sulphur.

I would avoid a house in the area between I-210 and I-10, that seems to be where the majority of the blight is. However, there are some pockets in there that are nice, and you could find a nice older house to fix up. You may want to check out the area around McNeese University as well.

Overall, Lake Charles is a cool city. There's not a whole heck of a lot going on like in New Orleans, but the pace of the city and it's atmosphere is very relaxed. I think you will enjoy it, you'll just have to get used to the humidity. See, in Arizona, your sweat evaporates. Here. . . well, not so much.

*EDIT* The company that makes SuperSwamper tires is in Rayne, about 45 minutes east of Lake Charles. I believe that some of the Southern L.O.S.T. members did a trail ride there one time. Otherwise not real sure about wheeling around LKC. I'm sure there's LOTS of mud, though. . .

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Linewarbr,
Hey THANK YOU, for the info. I've started at looking at houses out there on century 21 and such. Seems like housing prices are too over the top. I'll tell the better half to check those different areas out (or rather not check them out). I thought some of the houses in the university area looked decent. All in all, i'd probably rent for a bit to see what the areas like and where I'd want stay.
Thanks again for the advice.

Mike

I look forward to meeting some jeepers if/when I get out there. One of the guys from the AZ club transferred from Southern LOST. (Scott).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy there Sighcutter21,we are just starting to get this southern section mooving,and would be great to have you on board.
Mabe I could help you with the dual batterys.If memory serves me right(usually doesn't)you were one of the only ones interrested in a dually.
Good luck,
Bub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Signcutter21 wrote:
Linewarbr,
Hey THANK YOU, for the info. I've started at looking at houses out there on century 21 and such. Seems like housing prices are too over the top. I'll tell the better half to check those different areas out (or rather not check them out). I thought some of the houses in the university area looked decent. All in all, i'd probably rent for a bit to see what the areas like and where I'd want stay.
Thanks again for the advice.

Mike

I look forward to meeting some jeepers if/when I get out there. One of the guys from the AZ club transferred from Southern LOST. (Scott).

Housing in south Louisiana jumped after the hurricanes (Katrina and Rita) of 2005. I bought my first home, new construction, in Baton Rouge August of 2004. It is now (if I can sell it, that is) worth roughly 25% more than I paid for it. A few of my neighbors made 30% on the sale of their homes. Lake Charles is much the same way. Post-hurricane Rita, they have experienced a tremendous amount of growth, which has led to a rise in housing prices.

When are you looking to move? I may know of a 2-bedroom garden-home that will be available within the year.

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

KJ119, yeah that'd be great. I'll need to get my fix of jeeping. As founding member and current president of AZ, I hope I'll be able to contribute something (though don't feel I've done much here). Yes that's correct i was, and still am, looking at the dual battery set up. Maybe I'll be able to get around to it finally.

Linewarbr, that'd be great if you have some info on it. I honestly don't know where I plan on living. I plan on making a trip out there in October sometime to do some scouting for homes maybe moving in November. Lots of things still up in the air. Thinking maybe rent for a bit until we figure the area out. Do you know any real estate people out there?

later,
mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hey y'all, i'm officially a Louisianan now. YAY!!! Still trying to get settled in, but looking forward to some outings to meet you guys soon.

later,mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome to Luzianne.Twist dey tails,suck dey heads.
Get settled in,and then we play! 8) ...............................Eglin mabe

Post subject: Re: Lake Charles
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:01 am 
LOST Newbie

well you may be losing the rock but there is a surplus of mud to play in in LA.

i live about 45min up 171 in merryville about a mile from the sabine river. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Signcutter21...now you have to change your location from AZ to LA. I'm on the northeast coast of Florida but occasionally wonder over to LA. Hope to meet you some time!

Terry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

No doubt Terry, might just do that now. I need to get out and meet up with you all. It's been almost a year and the dang KJs only seen real dirty and 4x one time. I plan on doing some exploring up in Bossier area weekend after next. Anybody know any areas up there? Might just drive back down to Kasatchie and camp there for the night.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Kasatchie is nice,and the weather has been cooling down a bit.You get your fishing liscense yet?

bigolboogyman wrote:
well you may be losing the rock but there is a surplus of mud to play in in LA.

i live about 45min up 171 in merryville about a mile from the sabine river. :JEEPIN:

I'm a river nut and native to the Bogue Chitto which is a gravel and sand beach lined river.Tell me about this Sabine.