It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to this forum anyone in Sarasota
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Just checkin? :?:

Love this forum but sometimes i feel like you all are takin in code? what is the f37? just for starters......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Welcome to the club....where did you see F37???

L.O.S.T. #225019
2003 Sport 4x4
Patriot Blue w/ trail rash
Flex-Zilla 4" Lift
TrailRash hi-lift mounts
Other stuff you wish you had :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:22 pm 
LOST Addict

sorry for the double post, but i just did a search for you F37, this is a recall specific to the CRDs

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=15086

L.O.S.T. #225019
2003 Sport 4x4
Patriot Blue w/ trail rash
Flex-Zilla 4" Lift
TrailRash hi-lift mounts
Other stuff you wish you had :-)

Post subject: Re: New to this forum anyone in Sarasota
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:16 am 
LOST Addict

Are there any trails in this area?

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've pretty much grown up in Sarasota county, but I'm usually up in Athens, GA nowadays. Anyway, there aren't many "trails" in Sarasota county.
There is no official place to go, all offroading is pretty much off the books. Basically you just know the spots and the cops let it be unless people start doing really stupid or destructive stuff. Check out 27° 4'16.12"N 82° 5'31.99"W down in Nopo on Google Earth, you can figure out how to get there pretty easily. That's the coordinates of what used to be a nice little water crossing, but people with big boggers made it into basically a slushy crap pit. There's a whole lot of "trails" in that area though. Somebody actually died over there last year in a rollover accident, but I still don't see cops around there. That area north of 75 is actually county land, not Nopo, but make sure to watch your speed on the way over because Nopo cops love to pull people over.
Also, I always heard a lot about "Apex," but I have no idea where it is.
There is one spot in Nokomis that some friends of mine live across the street from, but the cops like to use the access road as a hang out sometimes, so it's sometimes off limits (doesn't stop'm from driving quads across the road when they're not there though). I wouldn't recommend going there though, it's not even that big or entertaining for real vehicles.
If you're closer to the North Sarasota, then I'd check out Bradenton. I never looked into offroading up there, but I always heard good things.
A lot of people like to go to the Redneck Yacht club (google it), I've heard good things, but you probably need some good MTs.
There's also Myakka Mudfest in August.

I won't be back down until Mid-May, and depending on how stuff goes I might be skipping town for an internship out west. Feel free to PM me though, but I actually own a Ford Sport Trac at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Good places to wheel are Ocala Ntl Forest and Osceola Ntl Forest. Osceola is about an hour west of Jacksonville and Ocala is about 1hr30min south of Jax. Ocala is mostly tame, I rode through there a few times in my KJ in stock form. With the lift on it was even easier since I could easily go over fallen trees and such.
Osceola, with weather we've been having lately can get REAL wet. You need some good tires and some lift is a good idea if it wet out there.
I was out there on the 22nd on Jan and the water was 2-2 1/2' deep. I have 2.5" of lift and swampers. Made everything except one hole in 2wd but the tires helped. There was a stock TJ on "all terrains" that kept getting stuck but made it through most of the stuff.

I also can not be held liable for any jeep breakage or life problems caused due to my advice being taken.
:D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:57 am 
LOST Newbie

I live north of Sarasota in Pinellas County. Back when I was a member of a local 4X4 club we did a few trips south for rides near Sarasota. It is probably pushing 10 years since I did any wheeling in Sarasota area so I don’t remember exactly where we went. What I do remember is the places we went only had mud a water to offer. Sometimes the mud/water holes were very deep. Since I am not a big mud fan I was less then impressed with what the areas offered and skipped the club runs south of the Skyway.

Now if you do not mind driving a bit there are a couple of decent areas to ride north of me. I live in south Pinellas and it takes me between 1 to 2 hours to ride up to the trail systems so depending on where you live in Sarasota you might add another ½ to 1 hour to that. Richloam and Citrus Wildlife Management Areas have trail systems. Richloam (and surrounding area) is huge. Richloam is flat and can get very muddy/wet during the rainy season. Citrus has rolling hills and a handful of washed out sections that can be fun to play on. Also there are 3 or 4 caves that are a short hike off of the trail at Citrus that are worth checking out. The trails at Citrus are wider and safer then Richloam. The Richloam trails can get tight and can be less forgiving.

Ocala and Osceola both are good places to ride but travel time is increased (especially for Osceola). I would recommend planning a long weekend and hooking up with some type of organized ride if you go up to Ocala or Osceola. There is an off road park called Hardrock in Ocala that is worth visiting. http://www.hardrockmx.com/

A couple of my friends and I are thinking about going up to do a Citrus/Richloam run on 2-27. If anyone would like to join in let me know and I will post something once the details are inked in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

live by doctors hosp. exit 207 Bee Ridge off I75 I have no clue where to go wheeling. Guy next door says to go to Ocala nat forest. he has a big Blazer. we keep saying we should take a trip up but never happens If it ever happens ill let you know.