It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LOST Florida Hams??
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I know the radio of choice for many 4x4s is a CB due to not needing a license and so on, but are there any Florida Lost people that would be interested in study for there Ham License?

I have been using my time while out of a 4x4 studying and getting my Ham license and ended up going all the way and get my Extra class license.

The Tech license is a very easy test. All of the studying can be done online and you can take the test at many many Ham radio clubs around the state and country.

CBs are very limited in coverage unless you get into unlawful expensive powerful CBs and the coverage is still very limited.

You can buy a good 2 meter mobile FM ham radio with a magnet mount antenna for about $160 on Ebay, and even cheaper used. With the repeater systems around most locations you can communicate around 50 to 100 sqaure miles depending of the quality of the repeater sight, and 5 to 15 miles car to car.

Just something I wanted to throw out there. After becoming a Ham I got rid of all my CB radios. I hated turning on the CB with the daughter in the car for fear of someone talking about things I didn't want her hearing. Ham radio for the most part is very clean and policed very well.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post up more information.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wesbronco