It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jacksonville area mechanic needed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:11 am 
LOST Newbie

I have an awesome 2005 Liberty CRD and it developed a slight ticking noise when driving that was related to engine speed. I checked all fluid levels as I had recently done a service and all were okay. Nonetheless, about 2 weeks later my girlfriend was driving and said it just cut off in the middle of the street while driving. Made no noise and just lost rpms. I can hear the starter turning but it has no attempt to fire up. The serpentine belt spins, but no fire. Battery is fine and Fuel is in. I'm thinking I lost compression somehow. I had a jeep dealer change the timing belt when I bought it about 5 years ago, only driving 30K miles since, it's my second vehicle. I believe it's going to come down to some sort of engine rebuild. Any help pointing me to a shop that can fix this would be awesome! I will have to get towed from my house which is in Atlantic Beach FL. I'm hoping someone is near by!

I'm pretty good with tools, but honestly never done anything inside the block. Worst case scenario I could keep digging for information on here and maybe fix myself, or sell as is but don't want to let go. My best guess is I have broken rocker arm, bent valve, or slipped the timing belt even though it worked fine for 30k miles after install.

Jeep has 135K on the clock, body raised 4 inches with larger tires. Stock other than that.

Post subject: Re: Jacksonville area mechanic needed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:38 pm 

You may have a timing belt that has jumped some teeth or stripped several of them off and allowed the cams to jump timing which will allow the valves to contact the pistons. This is an interference engine meaning that piston and valve contact can take place if the valve timing gets to far out of time with the crankshaft.
Normally by design on this engine, if a valve contacts a piston, it will break or bend the rocker arm to try and help protect the valve.

First thing in your case would be to pull the front timing belt cover and closely inspect the timing belt condition (teeth) and tension.
You can also set the engine to the correct timing alignment point on the crankshaft and see if the timing pins will insert into the cams.

You really are in need of a very knowledgeable mechanic that is well versed in this unique engine to diagnose it correctly. (they are scarce)
An incorrect diagnosis of your problem will only lead to very costly and unneeded repairs.
Plenty of horror stories on this forum of this happening, so be very careful who you pick to evaluate and perform work on your engine. :5SHOTS:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
You may have a timing belt that has jumped some teeth or stripped several of them off and allowed the cams to jump timing which will allow the valves to contact the pistons. This is an interference engine meaning that piston and valve contact can take place if the valve timing gets to far out of time with the crankshaft.
Normally by design on this engine, if a valve contacts a piston, it will break or bend the rocker arm to try and help protect the valve.

First thing in your case would be to pull the front timing belt cover and closely inspect the timing belt condition (teeth) and tension.
You can also set the engine to the correct timing alignment point on the crankshaft and see if the timing pins will insert into the cams.

You really are in need of a very knowledgeable mechanic that is well versed in this unique engine to diagnose it correctly. (they are scarce)
An incorrect diagnosis of your problem will only lead to very costly and unneeded repairs.
Plenty of horror stories on this forum of this happening, so be very careful who you pick to evaluate and perform work on your engine. :5SHOTS:

Thank you for the good information. I have not been able to find a good shop for this Jeep here in Jacksonville FL so far. Trying to avoid the dealership as I don't think they will be a good option to go with. They probably won't have a tech familiar with this Jeep and sometimes they don't give you a truthful answer on that until after it's been towed up there. This issue has me considering selling it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:57 pm 

Baludog wrote:
Thank you for the good information. I have not been able to find a good shop for this Jeep here in Jacksonville FL so far. Trying to avoid the dealership as I don't think they will be a good option to go with. They probably won't have a tech familiar with this Jeep and sometimes they don't give you a truthful answer on that until after it's been towed up there. This issue has me considering selling it.

Try getting in touch with "Flash7210" on this forum and ask for his help or advice, you may be able to talk him into taking a look at it for you. He is a few miles below Jacksonville in Green Cove Springs. He is well versed in these little diesel engines. :wink:
You could try PMing him or emailing him. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll try reaching out, fingers crossed.