It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GoodYear Wrangler Trailmark Tire 235/70/16 Review
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just picked up an 05 Liberty and along with taking care of the brakes, I sprung for some new tires. As much as a dislike Wally World, they had a pre-black Friday deep discount on their own flavor of Wranglers, the Trailmark.

The experience: Well, it was Wal Mart. I ordered 235 70 16 tires, using their website at $94 per tire, regular $119 per tire. It is a 50,000 mile tire with a decently aggressive look and are American Manufactured. Given the price point, I figured they'd be worth a shot. The store DOES NOT match the website price. Stupid, but I had 4 tires sent Fed Ex to the store where 4 sat in stock. I figured a Sunday Morning at 7am installation time would help avoid the inevitable. Well, I was wrong. After sliding back into my old Service Advisor role and helping someone chose the correct oil for their 2002 Jetta (with 20k!) for their Wal Mart oil change, I finally got lined up to have my tires done. At first, they couldn't find the tires. After 20 more minutes of farting around, I showed the advisor where my tires were sitting. When he looked at the Jeep, he told me he couldn't install the tires because the size didn't match. (It had 225/75/16 on it). After he got his manager, I calmly explained that it is an optional size and I just want the tires put on. After we pulled out the book and verified everything, they finally got the tires put on. I was able to get 10% off the install for my troubles, and I bought the Road Hazard as well. All told, it came to about 116/tire after taxes, disposal and road hazard. I kept my old valve stems in the wheels because they don't leak. If I had my own machine, I'd just buy them and do them myself, but I'm not there yet. They also harp on having the lugnut torque rechecked after 50 miles.

Tires... The first 100 miles: These tires are unbelievably quiet. I took it to get inspected and emmissioned in the rain today and zero wheel spin and felt confident in the deeper puddles. I plan on updating this throughout the life of the tire. Pardon the darkenss and rain, but here's a few pics of the tires on the rig. Given the vehicle, the tire and PA roads, I fully expect to replace these in about 28000 or so miles.

2011 HHR 1LT 2.2L Auto Loaded

Former MOPAR Level IV Certified Parts/Service Advisor

Last edited by MilestoneMotors on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: GoodYear Wrangler Trailmark Tire 225/70/16 Review
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:27 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

So 225-70-16s or 235-70-16s ?
You have both listed so just curious since 235-70-16s is the optional size
Just so we don't confuse anyone :wink:

Post subject: Re: GoodYear Wrangler Trailmark Tire 235/70/16 Review
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
So 225-70-16s or 235-70-16s ?
You have both listed so just curious since 235-70-16s is the optional size
Just so we don't confuse anyone :wink:

Yeah, I see that now. 235/70/16. Edited to reflect the change.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:48 am 
LOST Newbie

***1200 Mile update****

With the holidays and cheaper gas, as well as chasing some other issues, I ended up putting on much more mileage on the Libby than I anticipated. I also was able to encounter some seasonal weather not normally covered.
Tread Depth: 10/32
pressure 33PSI @ 20*F (1lb loss since installation. I added the 1lb to all 4 tires)
Rain: 4 out of 5. I don't have a Trac loc differential and I need to get one installed on it when the weather gets nicer. Good hydroplaining resistance, handles deeper water nicely. Not as good as the AVID TRZ from Yokohama I used to have on my truck, but these aren't a touring tire.
Light Snow: 4 out of 5. They don't pack up and seem to cut through the slushy stuff just as well as fine powder. Respectable 4wd performance in these conditions as well.
Ice: 5 out of 5. No, these aren't as good as studded snows. The as-installed tire seems to have a decent handle on freezing rain/flash freeze conditions as compared to other All-terrain tires I've had. Again, it's not a ticket to be an idiot on ice, just a performance rating of the tire, as is.
Post-snow road mess: 5 out of 5. Piles of cinders in intersections don't cause excessive sliding or spinning on stops and starts. They also don't tend to collect and chuck cinders constantly once warmed up with a little driving.

Overall they seem to be wearing as expected. I think these tires had either 10 or 11/32nds at install, I didn't measure and should have. They certainly fit the boll for a cost-alternative replacement tire.

Last edited by MilestoneMotors on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:08 am 
LOST Newbie

More snow/slop driving and bitter cold.

Temps the past few mornings have been in the single digits and we had about 4" of talcum powder-like snow. These tires cut through the drifts with ease. Even with the open diff, this type of snow didn't need much 4wd use until it got closer to 6 inches.

I've noticed a little knobby feedback in the steering at at low speeds with them, but they are an aggressive all-terrain tread so I don't care. But it IS noticable.

Again, these tires are a great replacement for worn out stockers and are more capable in the winter weather department. Maybe this spring I'll try a little mud on some in the SGLs here in Penna!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've crested the 6000 mile mark for these tires and a quick tread depth check is showing that the shoulders are wearing a bit faster than the centers. I've bumped tire pressure to 35psi on all 4 corners. I also rotated them to keep even wear going. No balance issues, no other odd wear patterns, wandering, etc.

For a value tire made in the USA, I still highly recommend them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know this is a bit of a resurrect, wondering about any long-term results now that you've had these for probably close to their lifespan.
Mud, deep snow, ice, off-roading, longevity?
Thanks in advance you're write up was excellent by the way.