It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would you buy Tires from Costco
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:08 am 
LOST Member

I have heard in the past that Costco had the manufacturers make them a 'variant' of specific model tires so they differed from other dealers but now they claim they are no different so you buy from them or elsewhere, the tires are identical ie. BFG Dueler AT Revos, AT D693, Michelin Cross Terrain, LTX etc.

Have you heard otherwise?

I would rather go to a specialty tire shop but sometimes their prices seem pretty good. Any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:27 am 
Not sure where your at, but if you have discount tires in your area check them out.

As for costco, if you have access to a tire machine, balancer, etc, go for it. Otherwise your gonna pay for all that service work at the local tire shop /garage. One would think.

The real question for me is.... Would you buy a casket from costco? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I bought my tires from Sams club which is like COSCO. BFG AT KOs. They are great. 30,000 miles on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I bought my Revos from Costco, and I've loved them. I got them when Costco was having a $15/tire coupon sale (they do it a couple of times a year, I think), so noone else could touch them.

Discount Tire is the only other store I buy tires from.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

I would have no reservations so long as the tire is name brand. FWIW I have not heard anything bad about the service either (although I know horror stories exist everywhere about every store ;) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have bought from Sam's before (like Costco) with satisfaction, but for the last 5 years or so I've bought from TireRack and had them shipped to my installer. He calls me when they're in and we make an appointment and get them mounted up. It is just much more convenient for me that way.

L.O.S.T.#000305
'03 Limited 4x4 Bright Silver Metalic
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/496132
Lots of factory options, a couple of aftermarket things,
a big ol'car seat in the middle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:18 am 
LOST Member

There some sort of difference between a Wally World BFG and a BFG from some other place? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My understanding:

I don't believe that BFG, Bridgestone, Michelin, or anyone else is going to produce a tire with their name on it, but destined for Costco/Sam's/Walmart/whatever, that is lower quality than the same tire at a dedicated tire store. IOW, Bridgestone isn't going to produce a Revo that looks like the "real thing", but is cheaply made, just so Walmart can undercut Discount Tire's prices with substandard tires. Can you imagine any manufacturer agreeing to do something like that? It makes no sense.

I think the concern comes from tires that are manufactured by a well-known maker, but then branded with a wholesale chain's own brand. For example, Costco carries "Kirkland Series" tires that are actually manufactured by Bridgestone and other manufacturers. In those cases, you can't always assume that the rebranded tires are going to be as high-quality as the originals...although I would bet that they're usually fine, especially in the case of Costco, who is generally very careful about what carries the Kirkland name. (Except in jeans...Kirkland Series blue jeans are crap, IMHO.)

Anyway, like I've said before, the Revos that I got from Costco have been awesome, on- and off-road. I'm sure the BFG T/As at Costco and Walmart are just as good as the ones at Tire Rack and Discount Tire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've bought BFG MT's before from Costco... good service, no problems. Much better pricing than anywhere else locally.

Luis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

i would not cuz they will only install oem sizes (at least in co). if i my them without an install i void all the warrenties (per costco)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:11 am 
LOST Member

I dont think there is a difference other than price, I have a BJ's (same as Costco or Sams) that I shop at and their prices for BFG's are great. The only thing they dont do is aligmnments, everything else is included.

Post subject: Re: Would you buy Tires from Costco
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Liberator wrote:
I have heard in the past that Costco had the manufacturers make them a 'variant' of specific model tires so they differed from other dealers but now they claim they are no different so you buy from them or elsewhere, the tires are identical ie. BFG Dueler AT Revos, AT D693, Michelin Cross Terrain, LTX etc.

Have you heard otherwise?

I would rather go to a specialty tire shop but sometimes their prices seem pretty good. Any advice?

I would never buy tires from Costco.

When I bought Revo's from them, I just had a flat in one tire so I put the good spare on the left rear passenger side. So, it's still good, right? Makes sense that I'd want it mounted on the spare tire carrier right? I bought four new Revo's and explained this to them. The dude at the counter didn't understand what I was trying to tell him. So I repeated, he said, "oh please, don't do this again, WHAT do you want?". At this point I started to get a little pissed (not to mention that in the beginning when my wife drove the car around the place he came up to her and said, "you just park your car here, don't you know?").

So, then I noticed in the sheet they printed out ... it said "torque to 110" and I was thinking, hey, we normally torque it at 95-100, so I thought I'd ask them. They made a big stink about it saying DC manual states wheel torque is from 85-110 and they're going to torque it at the highest setting from the manufacturer.

OK, it's not looking good there.

So instead of fighting them over it, I just told them I'd take care of it later. Then I see in the note, "Customer state he will retorque wheels to 85". I never mentioned anything about 85.

Then, after all this, they threw my GOOD SPARE AWAY. I had to go ask them to get the good spare back. At this point, I told them I'm going to Pep Boys where they actually understand their customers.

I'm totally pissed at Costco over this episode, and their tire center will never get another penny from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:15 pm 
LOST Addict

I would just buy from Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) have them shipped to whomever you want to install them for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:43 pm 
LOST Member

my neighbor bought a set of dueler's for his Jeep from costco (693's, not Revo's) and so far no problems. beware though, they (atleast at our costco) fill the tires with NITROGEN rather than AIR, and the two don't play along together. They put 33psi in his, and he put 2 pounds of AIR in the tires to get them up to 35 and it threw them out of balance just a tad. But with free lifetime balancing and rotations for the life of the tires, he's gonna have them let all the nitrogen out next time he's due in and have them fill it back up to 35.

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:17 pm 
I live here
I live here

dirtyKJ,

One bad experience at ONE Costco does not make for ALL Costco's bad.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Tokyojoe wrote:
dirtyKJ,

One bad experience at ONE Costco does not make for ALL Costco's bad.

Well, that is partly true. One thing is certain though, I won't go to THAT Costco. Other than that, it seems to be corporate policy that I as a customer can't override what they will do, and as such, I do have a big problem with that. I don't believe the situation will be much different elsewhere as long as that is the corporate policy/culture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:50 am 
LOST Member

I've looked at Costco. Bought some BFG's for the minivan there. But I just went up to Big 0 and am getting a set of 235/70/16 Cooper Discover M+S.
368 out the door. From the warm wx we have been having. It's set to expect lots of snow/lake effect snow in my area. They got to be an improvement from those POS goodyear SRS's that are on there now. It's not too late for me to cancel so if anyone has any input, nows the time.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

How could adding air to a tire with nitrogen in it change the balance? Our atmosphere is almost all nitrogen all the time. It is an inert gas and reacts very little with other materials. It's routinely used as a "shield gas" in many manufacturing processes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:41 pm 
LOST Member

spoonplugger1 wrote:
How could adding air to a tire with nitrogen in it change the balance? Our atmosphere is almost all nitrogen all the time. It is an inert gas and reacts very little with other materials. It's routinely used as a "shield gas" in many manufacturing processes.

Baffeled me as well, but immediately after adding 2 pounds of air ontop of the 33 pounds of Nitrogen they went out of balance enough to shake the steering wheel. He had beendriving around a good 3 weeks before putting the air in with no problems (shaking) at all.

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just got a set of 4 Revo's in 235/70-16 at my local Costco. Haven't had off road yet, but am very happy so far (only 2 days) on road. I had excellent service, 2 very knowledgeable car guys running the tire dept. It is true that they would only do factory sizes, but don't blame them, thank the lawyers. They just don't want to be held liable for damage or voiding your warranty. As for cost, I was able to get all 4 for about $40 less than getting them from Tirerack. $127 mounted and balanced. Tire rack was $118 + $68 shipping + $48 to get mounted locally (that's each).

Matt

L.O.S.T. #050943
2002 Liberty Sport 4x4, Black
K&N FIPK, Drain pipe ram air
235/70-16 A/T Revo
Optima red top
Rancho RS5000, no lift
Hidden Hitch w/Yakima Bighorn 4 bike rack
Vent shades and deflector.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell