It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tire info
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 pm 
LOST Member

I know this has been covered before on the posting boards but I'm new to owning a Jeep and I'm a little confused with trying to follow all the back postings.

I would like to get a new set of All Terrain Tires, from what I have read this is what I have narrowed it down to:

Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor
BFG AT or AT/KO's (KO's said I need to modify to prevent rubbing, is this true?)
BFG Revo's (Dont know much about these)

I guess what I am looking for is a tire that is good for normal street driving but needs to be good in the snow (dry, rain, heavy snow). I take it offroad sometimes but nothing to aggressive yet. I probably will eventually but for now I'm looking for everyday driving.

I checked consumer reports but I would rather hear from people who use and abuse these tires everyday. I currently have the stock tires on and would like to change soon.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: IMHO
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Silent Armors are fairly new. There are some of us testing these but no real feedback yet.

If you plan to off road often (once a month or so) I'd go with the BFG. Much tougher sidewall, excellent dry, wet, snow, gravel handling.

If you plan on doing some light offroading every now and then then go with the REVO. They are also excellent dry, wet, snow, gravel ... but they are quieter than the BFG.

In a nutshell I've been looking to upgrade my tire size, from what I've read you can go up to 245/70R/16 on a stock KJ with no issues.

The KO's and REVO's are equally good for handling and traction in almost all conditions. For me it basically came down to tougher looks and slighty better/tougher offroad capabilities (KOs) VS. still agressive look but a quieter/smoother ride for mostly on-road use (REVOs).

Hope that helps. I know there are alot of different opinions out there. But basically you can't go wrong with any of your choices.

Good luck

(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:03 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks Indy

I was leaning towards the Goodyears but a lot of people seem to not like them.

I would like to go offroad but right now this is my only vehicle and I have to equip it for everyday use as well as light to moderate offroad use. I guess overall I am looking for a little more of a aggressive look also.

The size is one thing I have been trying to figure out, stock is 215 I believe but there arent too many choices out there for that size. A bigger (or wider - not sure which) would be better so I may check out the 245/70R/16 that you said.

Anyway, thanks again for the post!

Post subject: No problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Maybe this will help ....

CHART
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=958

Size CALCULATOR
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:03 pm 

One quick note - you'd have a hard time finding BFG Revos (Bridgestone makes them). :wink:

As for all round driving I think those would be the best option and you'll find TONS of happy KJers using them. The KOs look awesome, but the Revo is just a a better performer on pavement. That's especially true in the rain and snow. Having experience with both I'd chose the Revo for the ride quality, less noise, and on road traction. If you were planning to spend a lot of time off roading then I'd go with the KO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:03 am 
LOST Member

Skyjump:

I stopped in a tire place last night just to check out some different brands and I'm still a little confused. They suggested the BFG KO's but when I went on the website it said that I would need minor modifications to prevent rubbing with this tire and I should go with the AT's. Do you know if this is true?

Are the REVO's an older tire or something? I went on Bridgestones (no BFG - LOL) website and they dont even list them.

Right now I think I have 235/70R/16 on (whatever stock is), is this a good size to stick with?

FYI - If anyone is interest BJ's Wholesale cllub has Ko's for $116 and I believe there is an additional deal if you buy 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:23 am 

If you want to step up a little in size then go with the 245/70/16. There shouldn't be any modification needed. As far as rubbing is concerned the type of tire shouldn't matter so much as the size.

The Revo is the newest AT tire that Bridgestone offers. The entire name is "Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo". If you were just looking for "Revo" you probably wouldn't have seen it. I just checked and it is on the site (I couldn't get the URL to copy though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:14 pm 
LOST Member

I have a '05 sport CRD that is bone stock except for I have put a set of BFG AT/KOs on it in 245/70/16, I have absolutely no problems with fit (no rubbing, no nothing :D ). I did nothing but had the tires mounted and was on my way, and they look so much better on there too.

L.O.S.T. #053490

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm running 245/70s on a stock '05 Renegade with no problem. Just went though Camp Jeep on some trails with no rubbing or other issues. I went with the Firestone Destination A/Ts mainly because of price compared to the Revo, similar performance ratings to the Revo with the same UNI-T technology, and good appearance.

Check out the following Tirerack link for some ideas and ratings:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:11 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

i have the Revos in 245/70R16 on a stock 04 and love them, was on a track with fine dirt rocks clay on the weekwnd aired down to 28 PSI and i NEVER lost traction, my Tyre guy said they are easy to balance than the BFG and he has never had one come back with a balancing problem ( He has them on his Grand Cherokee)

aussie KJ Lost No#150605
3" OME lift + Rancho RS9000xl's front and rear
prototype Airflow snorkel
Magnaflow cat back
265/70R16 Hankook MTRT03 on MOABS baby
4.10's and a truetrac up front
super skinks
coming soon
a myride wireless controller

Post subject: Different tires on CRD
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Bonehead....did you notice any change in fuel economy after the switch? I just got a CRD and am looking to get the Goodyear junk off ASAP. Just don't want to kill my mileage, which was one of the reasons for getting the CRD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:50 am 
LOST Member

No still getting 23mpg or so combo city/highway and slightly better than 25 on mostly highway runs, my KJ only got 3800mi on it so I still have aways to go as far as break in. The milage seems to be improving a tenth or two of a mpg a week still , but I also drive about 700mi a week so it won't take long.

L.O.S.T. #053490