It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I really want some new tires!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No one ever talks about the 17in rims and tires on here. I cant seem to find any tires that will fit my rims, the only GOOD tires i can find is the Pirelli scorpions. Tirerack gives them a good rating, and so do most of the ppl on there, but some ppl hate them and say they have bad tread wear.
I want the 235/65/17, but i wouldnt care to get the 245/75/17's or 245/70/17, but i dont want alot of rub, i wouldnt care for alittle rub, but i just hate taking chances. Oh and i dont want to trim any thing.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can't say anything about the 17" sizes, but I've got Pirelli Scorps on right now. I like them, they look nice and have performed wonderfully for me.

31x9.5 SS TSLs!
Detroit Truetrac/Powertrax
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062875

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How many miles do u have on them, tell me all about them, are they good in the snow/rain/mud, it looks like u take ur rig off road, so u should have alot to say about them.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject: Scorpions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:18 am 
LOST Member

These were rated No 2 after Forteras by Cons Report for on road performance.

Post subject: 17" Rims
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:42 am 
LOST Junkie

I saw a thread recently saying Firestone released a new 17" series of Destination MTs (I remember seeing 245/75 and 265/70). I looked on TireRack but they haven't started carrying them yet. I would be willing to bet you could find them at a Firestone store.

Post subject: 17 inch rims
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:04 am 
LOST Newbie

17 in rims Recently got me a set of Fortera Silent Armor on trade due to the bad noise on my stock Wrangler HPs(235/65/17.I have been really impressed low noise,good looks, and great handlling and a 70K warranty,I dont know if you would prefer something for off road, but for general usage I would recommend these... 05 Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Overall: they seem to be wearing pretty well, but I'd have to check the odometer, not sure what mileage is. They aren't too noisy, but they make enough noise to remind you that you have better than normal tires on.

On road/rain: much better than my stock Goodyears- The KJ doesn't slide or lose traction as easily

Off road: Great traction over rocks- I haven't had any problems losing traction

Weaknesses: Weak sidewall: the tread doesn't extend too far down the sides.

31x9.5 SS TSLs!
Detroit Truetrac/Powertrax
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062875

Post subject: Hope this helps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This post should really be in the tire and wheel section but here is someonfo that might help.

The 17 is a hard size to buy tires for unless it is a very large tire.

I did not notice in your post if you had a lifted KJ or not...If not you are not going to be bale to run a much larger tire anyway.

You also said you did not want to trim anything...Thats cool and not a problem but agin this is going to even limit more the options you have for tire size.

KE7JLP

Post subject: 17
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:24 pm 
LOST Member

The 17 are hard to find good tire fitment for A/T tire as most manu. recommend 70 profile or even 65 as lowest... hard to do for the 17" w/o a lift. The market is too small to pursue in this size/profile.... mostly 16 and 15" When the Sport KJ came out in 215/75/16, GY was the only manufacturer to have this size for OEM sales.

Bornbrit, the Silent Armours now have a solid shoulder tread block since ppl complained that the HL model was noisy... by linking the shoulder tread blocks, I would not recommend it for rainy climates as it does not wick water away as well as say the HL model did or others. Again these are hiway tires not off roaders.

I like the Fortera HL tires on the 17" as again Cons Rep gave it top rating but I also hear of fast wearing. The Silent Armour has higher tread life warranty but I prefer the better wet handling characteristics of the HL.

The OEM RSA/ST GY tires excell in nothing and are best considered a compromise to offer a quieter ride to sell the KJ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:22 am 
LOST Member

I dont know if anyone is interested becuase it seems like this isnt a popular brand of tire but I just got the Cooper Discoverer ATR's ($424 out the door) and I like them a lot. You cant beat the price and they are surprising quiet and have a bit of an aggressive look to them. I heard they are decent off road but I havent tried them yet but I am very impressed with their on road capabilties and ride.

Post subject: pirelli scorpion A/T (235/65/17)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

100% agree with calvin56, I just got the scorpion A/T (235/65/17) for the 05 limited , great tire on rain, dry, light mud, sand but very weak sidewall!!! after 30 days and hurricane wilma, I already have my back left side tire damaged, nothing serious but i wish the sidewall was as strong as the rest of the tire........i am still happy with the tires whixh are far better than the stock goodyear I had