It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 17" Freedom Edition Wheels
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My '03 freedom edition has 55,000 miles on it and it's time for new tires. I had to convince the guy at the goodyear store that, though my hair is blonde, I did know what size tires i had... he still went out and read them himself.

Here's the deal... the majority of my driving is highway, about 300 miles a week for work (yes, I get paid mileage...). I need to be able to run well on wet pavement, sand and snow. Don't really care how loud they are, can't afford to give up too much on the gas mileage.

I've been to tirerack.com and done the comparison thing, but every time I find something that fits my criteria, it seems I can't find it in a 235/65/17. I'm pretty sure I can fit up to 245/70/17 if I have to.

This is worse that trying to find a comfortable pair of shoes! I'm hoping someone else with 17" wheels can tell me what they are running, and what works or doesn't so I can make a decision before the snow flies.

Thanks!

Sharon

A bunch of stickers and some stuff from my husband's old CRD

Get me to the beach!!!

Post subject: Re: 17" Freedom Edition Wheels
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:39 pm 
LOST Addict

sstenner wrote:
This is worse that trying to find a comfortable pair of shoes! I'm hoping someone else with 17" wheels can tell me what they are running, and what works or doesn't so I can make a decision before the snow flies.

I feel your pain. I got '05 limited with the cursed 17" rims. I was researching M/T tires but they don't seem to be popular at this size. I hear Bridgestone/Firestone is coming out with Dueler M/T in this size, might want to keep checking.

For me I just gave up and bought Rubicon Moab + MT/R's off some guy on eBay ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:54 am 
LOST Newbie

My name is Eric, and I'm gald to be of service. sstenner, you mentioned something about blonde hair, I'm guessing that makes you of the opposite persuation... Wink, wink...

Anyway, I have an 03 Freedom Edition Liberty with 17" wheels. I did tons of research because I wanted slightly better, slightly more aggressive, and slightly bigger tires than what came stock.

I found the BridgeStone Revo's to be the best. I used to be able to spin tire like it was going out of style when the roads were wet. I can't even break these babies loose. Not even when I'm on an incline, and I gun it at a stop sign with wet pavement. They are great, they don't make any noise, they are fantastic on and off road, and they fit.

Here is the scoop. I wanted the 265/65R17 tire size that I saw on TireRack.com. The only place that even believed that BridgeStone made them in the that size was the bridgestone service shop. Everyone else kept telling me Bridgestone didn't make that tire in that size. 265/65R17 will most likely not fit without a 2.5" lift, but after I installed the lift, they fit without doing any front wheel-well modifications. No pounding of the pinch weld, not reshaping of the wheel well liner. Nothing.

Long story short, go with a set of BridgeStone Revo's. They also make that tire in 255/65R17, and I think maybe even 245/65R17. 255/65R17 may fit without any type of lift, the 265's were close... But you will have to go to a Bridgestone dealer and ask for them specifically for those sizes. The good thing is that they well match any price that you find online. So, print out the price that tire rack has for that tire in a comperable size, and take it with you.

Hope I was able to help. If you want to see what the BridgeStone Revo's look like on an 03 Freedom Edition Liberty, check out my pictures.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1238[/url]

Front Tow Hooks,
Mopar Rear-Hidden-Hitch,
Mopar suspension/transfer-case/gas tank skid-plates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes Eric, I'm a girl... that is the opposite persuasion you were referring to, right? :lol: My name is Sharon, and I got real creative with my "handle" so you can figure out the rest from there.

I don't have a lift, or the $$ for one right now, so I don't think I can squeeze the 265's in there. I did find Destinations, Goodyear Silent Armors and Geolanders in 245/65/17. According to the tire chart, I should be able to make one of those fit. The Revos didn't show up when I searched 245/65 or 245/70, but I'll go look again.

DH has taken to wandering around muttering about tire sizes and those #$&@ wheels so I'm thinking I better come up with a solution pretty quick. He's liable to sneak out there in the dead of night and try to switch them out for his spare set of Bronco wheels. YUK!

Thanks for the heads up on the price matching thing... nice little tool to have! And BTW - I wanted the blue one, but I couldn't find one when I got mine so I had to settle for silver. I'm still thinking about possible paint schemes! Do purple flames make it go faster?

Sharon

A bunch of stickers and some stuff from my husband's old CRD

Get me to the beach!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sorry to hear about the probleml. I am going to upgrade to some new tires also but I am running on 16 instead of 17. If you could find some 16" rims I would let them go for dirt cheap to you
Quote:
DH has taken to wandering around muttering about tire sizes and those #$&@ wheels so I'm thinking I better come up with a solution pretty quick. He's liable to sneak out there in the dead of night and try to switch them out for his spare set of Bronco wheels. YUK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sharon,

You might want to check some cooper tires below:

Discoverer ATR - comes in 235/70/17 (30") , 245/65/17 (29.5"), and 255/65/17 (30")

Just a thought...

Greg
[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Im getting the 245/65/17 geolanders, its only .5in taller than my tires so it should fit with little rub.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster