It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yokohama Geolander HTS?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:06 am 
LOST Member

Still on the search for new shoes for the Jeep and I am not getting anywhere.

Thought I had made a decision to buy the Firestone Destination AT's so I went to Town Fair Tire last night and the guy actually discourage me from buying them. He said for what I need them for (daily driving and a good snow traction tire) I would be wasting my money and killing my gas mileage. Unless I plan on going off road a lot or live deep up North, dont buy them.

So, he suggested Yokohama Geolander HTS (I'm thinking the profit margin is huge for them) and I was wondering what everyone thought or has experienced with these or if there was a better option (price and tread wear conscious). Consumer Reports didnt like the tire too much and Tire Rack had mixed reviews (4th ranked for snow but a lot of dry breaking/cornering complaints).

HELP!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:03 pm 
LOST Addict

i have the firestone destination at they look awesome very quiet on road. and i am getting around 18mpg highway.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:20 pm 
LOST Member

My dad has those Yoko's HTS on his GC and he was very dissapointed with them when wheeling in the Mountians last month. They seem to do pretty good on the pavement in both wet and dry but suck off road. I think that they are more of a "socker mom" suv tire or something for a 2wd.

I actually installed a set of Pathfinder AT's and they are a pretty good compromise for a great price comparied to some. They have good road maners and predictable offroad traction for a AT tire. I get 18-20mpg with a lift and 31's so I wouldn't say that they are hurting my milage much :) . I think I paid about $500 for 5 out the door. I really wanted the REVO's or BFG AT's but could foot the bill at the time. Now I am glad I didn't spend the extra dough.

L.O.S.T. #006901
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift & Diff Skid, 245/75-16 REVO's, K&N
****Grocery Rated****

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:32 pm 
LOST Member

I didnt know anyone that had them before so I wasnt sure about buying them. All I know is, the guy seemed more interested in his commission than what I was looking for.

This gets confusing, everyone thinks their tire is the best and says I need something else. Nothing is simple when picking out a tire. =)

I think I need a big sign with flashing light saying "THIS IS THE TIRE FOR YOUR 2002 JEEP LIBERTY - BUY IT NOW"

:D
Thanks for the reply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

jeepkj02 wrote:
i have the firestone destination at they look awesome very quiet on road. and i am getting around 18mpg highway.

got the a set too (a/t's) good tires for the price (79/ea at tire rack)
wanted to get revo's too, and also looked at Geo's. went w/ these instead..now i am loving them...

heh..i know what you mean......i went through the same thing not too long ago...

check tire rack for some ratings if ur unsure about a tire...

i did a lil review for it..if u want to know more..

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1491

i need to put in my 1000 mile update soon

L.Ø.S.T. N.E. #000086

2oo2 Silver LTD - Firestone Destination A/T's - Pure1/Mobil1
MagMount - Silverstars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have heard that you really need to take care of the Yokohama Geolander HTS tires. You need to be religous with rotations and I have seen MAJOR tread scaleing (sawtooth effect from hard or excesive braking) on a few sets around town. But if you take care of them i was told they are awsome tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:41 am 
LOST Member

Thanks Pinch Flat

I actually have a better price for the Firestone AT's than I do the Yoko's by about $100. I have to double check that though because it didnt seem right.

Well I have absolutley ruled it down to the Geo's or Destinations, I guess I have to just flip a coin a go with one or the other. I was leaning towards Yoko's just because I dont think I will be going off road this year with it so I am more concerned with the snow/wet/dry driving factors (and gas mileage).

I do like the look of the Destinations though, expecially since I saw your pics

Post subject: Re: Yokohama Geolander HTS?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Joe Jeep Owner wrote:
He said for what I need them for (daily driving and a good snow traction tire) I would be wasting my money and killing my gas mileage. Unless I plan on going off road a lot or live deep up North, dont buy them.

I think this guy was definitely interested in something other than customer satisfaction...

I put the Destination ATs on right before driving 9 hours and about 600 miles one-way to Camp Jeep. I thought they were as quiet or quieter than the stock Goodyears on the highway and handling is much more confident. With only 2,000 miles on the engine, I was getting 21.5 MPG on the trip running the A/C all the time in mid-90 degrees temps while climbing the mountains in eastern WV/MD.

From my experience so far, even though it is an AT tire, you can't go wrong with the look and performance.

Post subject: WVLIBERTY
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:46 pm 
LOST Member

I even thought about consideing the Firestone Destination LE (considering gas mileage), any experience or heard about these?

Comparitivley speaking though, the AT's are a better deal even if I dont go off road.

Post subject: Re: WVLIBERTY
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

[quote="Joe Jeep Owner"]I even thought about consideing the Firestone Destination LE (considering gas mileage), any experience or heard about these?[quote]

I personally don't have any experience with the LEs, but would lean toward the ATs if snow traction is a consideration. I'll have to admit I like the more aggressive look of the ATs and I doubt there would be any discernible difference in fuel mileage between the two.

Good luck with whatever you choose.