It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lug Nuts
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:21 pm 
LOST Member

Does anyone else have problems with losing the caps on their lug nuts? I have replaced three so far, most recently when I got new tires. Just curious, I dont want to switch to locking nuts, is there another option out there or am I stuck with stock?

245/70/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:16 pm 
Can't say I've experienced that issue.

On a side note, I purchased McGuard Wheel Locks (supposedly KJ specific), and the lock lugs are longer than the oem lugs. I'm currently running stock KJ Limited rims however I'm going to be purchasing "M/T Classic Locks" wheels, so I was thinking I'd switch to McGuard lugs too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:56 pm 

Yep, I've had two fall off. You can certainly replace them with something else, but lug nuts are just prone to doing that. Try an auto parts store if you want to try something different. Unfortunately they're made pretty much the same no matter where you buy them though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I got chrome steel replacements, no cap to come off, but now they rust. :lol:

Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:37 am 
LOST Newbie

I lost one off the Sahara after the tire place used the impact wrench on them. What really irritated me was that they didn't mention it. I went back the next day and mentioned it to the owner. He offered to replace it but I had some spares so I didn't take him up on his offer.

BTW, after having anything done that involves removing the tires be SURE to check the air pressure and torque the lug nuts.

The same time that they busted the chrome cap I checked the tire pressure when I got home (that is when I noticed the missing lug cover) and found that they had 20 PSI in them. The next time I visited that same tire shop 3 of the tires had 34 PSI and one had 26 PSI. Sadly, that is the best tire shop in town, the others are worse.

Wheeled with a fellow from Phoenix in Silverton in July. After running Engineer Pass and coming back via Cinammon Pass he noticed that he had only 2 lug nuts left on 1 wheel. Sure enough, he had his tires rotated and balanced a couple of days before the trip. Darn lucky he didn't lose a tire on Engineer.

Bill Tolle
05 Rubicon
04 Liberty

If you love offroading and want the trails to stay open please join Blueribbon Coalition.
"Preserving our natural resources FOR the public instead of FROM the public"
http://sharetrails.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:39 am 
LOST Member

Thanks everyone...

This is the 3rd or 4th cap that I have lost, I guess it's not a big deal but it bothers me (looks wise) and I notice it. At the Jeep dealership they get $6.50 per nut/cap but I found an Ebay Store that sells them indiviually for $1 a piece ($3.00 shipping) or 20 of them for $24 free shipping. It might be worth investing in them seeing that this is an on going problem.

On a side note, the tire place I went to was really good and really fast so I was lucky. I did notice that my stock rims show a little wear though where they took off the old weights for balancing (scraps and a little residue). I know it happends but its more noticeable now that the weights are a different size and in a different location. Again, not a big deal and I did bring it up to the owner but it something I noticed.

Oh well, nothing that wouldnt have happened off road! I just would rather have been the one to do it!! :lol:

Thanks

245/70/16 Cooper Discoverer ATR's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:39 am 
LOST Newbie

I had this problem on both my other Jeeps. Apparently Jeep uses the same lug nuts on all models.

My resolution was to go buy new solid lug nuts at the parts store. The biggest drawback ends up being the fact that the new lug nuts are a different size and require a lug wrench change. I usually opt to carry a star wrench anyway, so that addresses that part of the issue for me.

Looks like I'll plan on doing the same for the Liberty.

7.3L PSD, Auto, 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have not had the lug nut covers come off yet. Do they sell lug nuts that are cromed, and not need a new wrench?

2005 Silver Liberty Sport CRD LOST#074322
Rear Tow package,Chrome Grill,Bug Deflector
Mud Guards,Vent Visors,Sport Rails
Cargo Area Tray/Organizer
Silver Rhino