It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Application Reports: Wheels and Tires
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK, how many posts have we seen that start like this:
  • Is anyone using x tire with y lift and z wheels?
  • What is the biggest tire I can mount...
  • Can I install 15" wheels...

The purpose of this topic is to provide a single clearinghouse for all of the wheel/lift/tire combinations that are out there, so that, hopefully, we can all very easily find someone who has used the tires/wheels/lift that we are considering, and see what their results were.

I'll start it off, but everyone feel free to contribute your own experiences. Please follow this format as closely as possible (I'll reformat as needed, so don't worry if you don't get it exactly right):

KJ: Year, gas/diesel. Any unusual stock configuration, such as Dana rear diff (instead of Chrysler 8.25")?
Tires: Size, brand, model, load rating, where purchased, cost.
Wheels: Size (width and diameter), backspacing, brand, model, where purchased, cost.
Lift: Brand, model, claimed lift in ", actual lift in ", where purchased, cost.
Add any comments that you feel might be useful.
Other: Rear sway bar removed? Aftermarket rear LCAs? Trimming required? Pounded pinch weld?

You can copy my first post if you'd like, then fill in your own info. (I'll add a link to the TireRack survey results, if any exist.)

If you have an unusual tire/wheel/lift combination, like 15" wheels or an uncommon tire, then your post will be especially useful, but all posts are welcome.

By the way, I will be grouping by tire model, so whoever submits comments on a particular make and model of tire first will have his/her avatar on the post, and their comments will appear first. I will append add'l submissions, with the alias of the contributor in bold text.

Thanks!

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Last edited by Troysterr on Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

TireRack Survey Results

TROYSTERR:

KJ: 2002 Limited (pre-lowered).
Tires: Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, 245/75R16, SL (passenger) load rating, Costco, about $100 (after $60 coupon).
Wheels: Stock aluminum rims.
Lift: RRO 2.125" Combo Lift. Claimed lift: 2.125". Actual lift: Unmeasured, but probably same as claimed. Purchased: RRO's shop in Heber City, UT, about $200.
Other: Rear sway bar removed. Rubbing: Some at full lock, fully stuffed. Trimmed some plastic, but did not pound down pinch weld.
Comments: I love my revos. 5 stars.
Update: Well, I really enjoyed my Revos while they lasted...but they were worn out at 20,000 miles. Since they come with a 50,000 mile warranty, Costco gave me $60 per tire (for 4 of them--the spare wasn't worn enough) credit toward new BFG Mud Terrains.

PCTim:

KJ: 2004 Sport
Tires: Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, P245/70/16, Firestone store, about $620 (all 5 mounted & balanced).
Wheels: Stock.
Lift: None
Other: Stock with facory skids (3), front hooks and a Reese rear hitch.
Comments: Great tire. About 10,000 miles on them so far, seem to be wearing well. Handle great in snow and rain. Did ok off-road. Aired down to 22 psi with no issues.

UNIXXX:

KJ: 2005 Renegade, Gas.
Tires: 265/75R16, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, LT (light truck) C, Costco, ~$150 ea
Wheels: 16" Stock Jeep Liberty Renegade
Lift: Frankenlift, claimed: 2.5", actual: 2.5", All J Products, ~$750
Comments: The larger tires will rub in three places in the front: the sway bar, the air dam/front of the wheel well, and the back of the wheel well. To stop the rubbing on the sway bar install some 1.25" wheel spacers (Spidertrax WHS-002). The stop the rubbing on the back of the wheel well, cut off the plastic pinch weld cover, hammer over the pinch weld, and then cover all of the bare metal with undercoating. To stop the rubbing on the front of the wheel well you'll need to devise some way to pull the front of the well forward into the front bumper. You'll also need to trim out some of the air dam where it rubs. This is all possible and still looks completely stock. You should only get slight rub when the wheels are turned to the extremes while going in reverse. As for the back tires, they fit fine, although they do stuff off road, not that it hurts anything other than flexing the flares. You'll probably also want to put the spacers on the rear wheels as well for symmetry (probably other reasons as well). The spacers are just the right size for my Renegade that the wheels don't project past the flares, so they don't throw road crap up on the car. I love these tires and they got me through the muck when MTRs were getting stuck ;)

SRotblat:

KJ: 2004 3.7l 4x4, Columbia Edition
Tires: Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo , 265/70-16, dont recall load rating will update
Wheels: OEM Columbia Edition wheels
Lift: Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift (with Rusty's and Rancho shocks) claimed lift 2.5", actual lift in unmeasured, direct from Rusty's
Other: No trimming done, did rub on fog light cover and pinch weld a bit but not bad.
Comments: They were great for the first 10-15k, good wear and performance. They lasted ~45-47k and in the last 20k miles they have worn very poorly. Thread is very uneven, and the center of the tire has odd cupping and spots where the tread sticks out. I started out doing rotations at 10k mile intervals, but quickly changed to 6k (my oil change interval). Not sure if even shorter intervals were required to keep these wearing better.

Last edited by Troysterr on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:23 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:14 am 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

TireRack Survey Results

KW AV8R:

Tires: Goodyear Wrangler MT/R, 245/75/R16, Load Rating E, $140/each with lifetime balance and rotation at Goodyear Store
Wheels: Stock Steel Wheels
Lift: Daystar 2.5" spacer lift, Claimed lift: 2.5", Actual Lift: Probably 2.5" but never measured. Purchased: Through dealership during initial purchase of KJ
Other: Some rubbing on foglight doors at full lock but not too bad and no trimming needed. Rear tires rub the upper inside wall of the wheel well when fully stuffed but you don't notice it until you look for it.
Comments: I love these tires but they do need to be rotated every 3000 miles or they will wear unevenly (more so than other tires).

skrracing:

KJ: 2004 Limited.
Tires: Goodyear MT/Rs 245/75R16, load rating E
Lockers: Detroit True Trac front and Powertrac rear
Wheels: stock steel wheels painted black.
Lift: All J Products Frankinlift
Other: Rear sway bar removed. Rubbing on at full lock on sway bar, removed the front inner fendor panel, pounded down pinch weld.
Comments: I love the lift and tire combo. 5 stars

Last edited by KW AV8R on Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO

TireRack Survey Results

NEATUS:

KJ: 2003 Renegade
Tires: BFGoodrich AT KO's, 245/75/R16, $136/each
Wheels: Stock 16"Color Keyed Renny Wheels
Lift: Rusty's 2.5" spring lift, Claimed lift: 2.5" but never measured.
Purchased: Through Rusty's Off Road online for $429 kit now costs $465
Other: Some rubbing on foglight doors ónly at full lock, not bad at all no trimming neaded.
Comments: 100 times bettr than any stock tire offered by DC minus the MTR's on the Ruby. I love them and up here in northern NY they have proved their worth over and over again in the snow.

[Troysterr Note: This tire is rated #13 out of 18 all-terrain tires. However, I consider that rating very unfair, and a result of some very low ratings for deep snow and ice traction. In fact, these tires, as Neatus has indicated, are very highly rated for snow and ice, and they tie for 4th place in the "Would Buy Again?" category.]

Post subject: Re: BF Goodrich Mud Terrain TA KO
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:09 am 
LOST Addict

BFGoodrich Mud Terrain TA KO

TireRack Survey Results

UVALAX236:

KJ: 2002 Sport
Tires: BFGoodrich MT TA KO's, 245/75/R16, $1/each
Wheels: Stock 16" Steel Wheels
Lift: Rusty's 2.5" suspension lift, Claimed lift: 2.5" but never measured.
Purchased: Through Rusty's Off Road online for $429
Other: Slight rubbing on the front sway bar. Took the rear sway bar off. Slim rubbing when stuffed.
Comments: These tires may be louder and more expensive than the All-Terrain but IMO, much better. I owned a set of 225/70/16 BFG AT's and personally like the MT's much better. They have much better traction in the mud, rocks, and rain. I highly recommend these tires if you dont mind the noise and the price.

TROYSTERR:

KJ: 2002 Limited
Tires: BFGoodrich MT TA KO's, 245/75/R16
Wheels: Stock 16" Alloy Wheels with 1.25" Spidertrax spacers
Lift: 2.125" RRO Combo Lift
Purchased: Costco, ~$200 apiece (minus $60/tire for worn Revos)
Other: Before I installed the spacers, these tires only rubbed a little more than my Revos, which was very little. With the spacers, I had to pound down my pinch welds, and I plan to cut away some plastic in front. I haven't stuffed the rears yet to see how badly they rub.
Comments: These things are expensive--I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't have $240 in warranty credits to apply to them. But I really like them. Louder than Revos, of course, but not anywhere near as loud as MTRs. The lugs are really, really deep, so I hope they last me 25-30K miles. If you read the reviews on TireRack.com, one thing you'll see over and over again is people claiming to get a ridiculous number of miles from these tires--sometimes over 90K miles!

ROCCET:

KJ: 2003 Sport
Tires: BFGoodrich MT TA KO's, 265/75/R16, $187/each Also Sipped the center for better grip in the wet weather.
Wheels: 16" Steel Wheels
Lift: Skyjacker 2.5" suspension lift
Purchased: Through local Woodys offroad 750.00 + 360 install
Other: No rubbing
Comments: These tires in my opinion there noisy but not bad. I love these tires in snow. I just traded in my Yokohama tires in for these.
My Summer tires are Perreli 245/70/r16
I can't wait to try these BFG in Utah...

Post subject: Pathfinder Radial A/T
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:00 pm 
LOST Member

Pathfinder Radial A/T

NO TireRack Survey Results
Info at www.discounttire.com

spike6901:

Tires: Pathfinder Radial A/T, 245/75-16, load rating S, $500 installed for 5 w/road hazzard and lifetime balancing at Discount Tire
Wheels: Stock 16" Steel Wheels
Lift: Rusty's 2.5" suspension lift, Claimed lift: 2.5", Actual lift: 2.5"
Purchased: Through the LOST group buy Rusty's Off Road online for $379
Other: No rubbing to date
Comments: I pounded the pinch weld and heat gunned the fog lamp door. They were silent when new but after 3K miles, have began to make low spead noise but nothing unexpected for an A/T tire. Tread pattern is similar to BFG A/T.

**Update: These tires are LOUD and speeds below 50mph now with 20k on them. They make more low speed noise than the BFG MT's on my FJ40. They are wearing fast and starting to loose wet traction.

Last edited by Spike6901 on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Pirelli Scorpion A/T
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pirelli Scorpion A/T

Tire Rack Survey Results

Calvin 56:

KJ: 2002 Renegade
Tires: Pirelli Scorpion A/T passenger 240/70R16
Wheels: Stock Rene rims
Lift: Frankenlift
Other: Rear sway bar removed. Rubbing: Some at full lock on the sway bar, no rub anywhere else
Comments: I love 'em on the road, and might get them again for my road tires; offroad they get beat up too much by the rocks. I've really taken them in some reasonably hefty mud with good results; it has handled rocks adequately, but I'm really worried about their sidewall strength, I've put a large gash in them.

**UPDATE** I got rid of the Scorpions and would NOT reccommend them. I just had to replace them because I was getting tread/band separation and some huge hotspots.

Ms5490renegade says: I have the same tires different size and they are great in snow, ice, heavy rain, dirt, and mud. they get easily torn up by rocks. i have a few chunks missing out of my back tires from rocks and small gash on the side wall from a tree. i would only reccomend these tires for light off roading or bad weather related driving conditions.

Last edited by Calvin56 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Super Swamper TSL
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Super Swamper TSL

Manufacturer's Website

Calvin 56:

KJ:
2002 Renegade
Tires: SuperSwamper TSL 31x9.5x15"
Wheels: 15" Black, steel American racing/Rockcrawler style- unsure of brand
Lift: Frankenlift
Other: Rear sway bar removed. Rubbing: Rubbed pinch weld untill I flattened it. It looks like I am going to have to trim the front plastic as well because the front tires will probably hit the plastic while stuffed AND turned. (In the works, just haven't gotten around to it).

Comments: To be updated once I take 'em offroad. I'll switch wheels out between daily drives/weekend fun. On pavement, I love their sound!
UPDATE: I trimmed my bumper/fenders and removed lining; No rubbing whatsoever: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... 7379#17379

Last edited by Calvin56 on Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Lemans A/T
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Lemans A/T

No TireRack Survey Results
Website

KaJunKJ:

KJ: 2002 sport 4x2, gas. Pre-Lowered
Tires: Lemans A/T, 31x10.5x15, purchased at Firestone, $75/tire.
Wheels: 15X8 American Racing, Polished Baja's. Backspacing: Same as stock wrangler. Purchased at Firestone, $75/rim.
Lift: Rusty's spacer lift, claimed lift 2.5", actual lift aprox. 3" with clevis and extra spring isolators, purchased from Rusty's Offroad, $150 or so.
Other: Some front fender trimming required. Pounded pinch weld in front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:53 pm 
LOST Member

Hercules Durango MT

Manufacturer's Product Specs

kkkustom:

KJ: 05 sport
Tires: Hercules Durango MT 31"X10.5" R15 cost $125 each free mount/balanceing
Wheels: RockCrawler series 97 15" 4.5"BS
Lift:Rustys 2.5" and 5/8" clevis with no slip welded tabs. total measured lift 3.75"
Rubbing: Cut out most of the front inner fender and about 2 inches in to the bottom of the bumper cover on the bottom. rivited in some new plastic and gave me a total of 2 inches more clearance than stock. Pounded the pinch weld down, and heated up the stock plastic flat, tucked the extra behind and plastic welded the seam. Full lock NO rub anywhere, stuffed only hits the top of the fender flare a little, but I will trim that soon. Back stuffed rubs the flare about an inch. yet to trim.

tires kick booty, throw mud and clean very good. Did I mention that they throw mud about 40 feet behind you and 30 feet above! At driving presure they are top notch, at 18Psi or so they will dig down to china and crawl anything! Crawl very good out of ruts too. They remind you and the people next to you on the road that you are driving a jeep with mud tires! Not that loud but noticable! Walk a bit when you come to a stop but sound sweet! rain is not much different that the stockers. makes the liberty look like a real jeep, not a soccer mom suv.

other: Might accually fit a 32" as is, but 12.5" wide may need some more cutting or some wider flares.

Post subject: Interco TrXus MT/R
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Interco TrXus MT/R, and
Interco Swamper Boggers

Manufacturer's Website

KJ33:

Tires: Interco TrXus MT/R, 255/85/R16 (33 x 10)
Interco Swamper Bogger 33 x 12.50
Wheels: Unique 16 x 7, 0 offset (black steel)
Lift: RRO - OTT: Stated 2.5"; Measured 3" front, 2" back; Also, +1" from back airbags
Other: Much trimming of plastic, but no metal (flattened pinch weld of course). Moved washer bottle, and replaced fog lights.
Comments: Rubs a little behind front wheels when fully turned if flexed - no big deal. Siping works well on snow in the spring/fall (before the winter tires go on). Drove about 10 mi. around town at 40 MPH with 8 psi once, before even noticing I had a 'flat' - great sidewall strength!

I just put a pair of 33 x 12.50 swamper boggers on the back, and tried it in our club run April 29th - BIG improvement in the mud! When I started to get bogged down in the mud, a little bit more gas and you can just feel the back end start to bite. I put them on 16 x 8 rims, with 5" backspacing, and there's no problem. They're the same diameter of course as the front 33 x 10, and will flex about 6" up without hitting.

Last edited by KJ33 on Mon May 08, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Cooper STT
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:50 pm 
LOST Member

Cooper STT

Manufacturer's Website

hillcountrykj:

Tires: Cooper STT 245/75/R16
Wheels: Stock steel rims
Lift: RRO Rock father I 2.5
Other: Rubbing Front only minor rubbing at full lock. The Cooper STT has a very agressive tread design, and the rear only when stuffed.
I love these tires they are great in the mud and sand, as for rock climbing what little I have done they are great. They are a little noisy on the road at lower speeds not real noticable at highway speeds 70-75 MPH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:39 pm 
LOST Member

General Grabber AT2

Manufacturers Website

JG45:

KJ:
2003 Sport
Tires: General Grabber AT2 255/70/16 $86 at TireRack.com
Wheels: Stock aluminum 16x7
Lift: Rough Country 3"
Rubbing: Some minor rubbing at full lock on the on the inner most wheel well behind the strut. Back rubs slightly when fully stuffed. When using Al's custom control arms with stock wheels and backspacing, they will rub on the upper control arm just before reaching full lock.
Comments Great tire overall. I was most impressed with it's handling of icy and snowy roads. Seems to be a very well built tire. Mine needed no weights when first installed. Not very good in thick mud though. These gum up and turn to slicks. They do clean quickly once out of the mud.

JeepJeepster:

KJ:
2004 Limited
Tires: General Grabber AT2 255/70/16 $90 at TireRack.com
Wheels: 16x8 Cragar w/5" BS
Lift: 2" OME lift
Rubbing: Some rubbing up front when fully turned, yet to try them when stuffed but Im sure they would rub bad. The rear rubs bad when flexed but I have some extended bumpstops coming from All J's to fix that.
Comments: Great tire overall. Ive probably put 20 miles on them but they seem to be much better than the stock Wrangler hp's. Kinda loud around 30mph but they quiten down after 45mph. No rain yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

Nokian Vatiiva

SPOONPLUGGER1:

KJ: 2005 CRD
Tires: Nokian 235/75X16 Vatiivas $140 ea. mounted and balanced.
Wheels: Stock alloys. Rock Lizard Sliders. Full set stock skids.
Lift: None
Rubbing: None.
Comments: Have ridden in KJs with different AT tires, (Revos, BFG ATs) they seem to be as nice as any of them in the snow, gravel, rain, light mud. Quiet all speeds. No MPG change noted. Completely different rig since changing from the stockers. I changed over because I damaged 2 of the original tires. Should have done it sooner.
Pote says: I will echo this review. They are incredible tires!!! Same size for me. No Lift either. No rubbing whatsoever. Perform as good as they look for an agressive AT. Probably one of the best designed AT tires for wet, ice and snow. Hakka siping sums it up!!!! 5 tires, mounted balanced, with all road hazard specials for $515. one word -- awesome!

Last edited by spoonplugger1 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Dayton Timberline MT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dayton Timberline MT

Manufacturer's Website

MOOSE:

KJ: 2006 Renegade
Tires: Dayton Timberline MT, P235/85/16, local tire store, $128 ea. mounted, balanced, etc.
Wheels: Stock Renegade
Lift: Frankenlift 2.5" (closer to 3.25" for me though)
Other: Changes - see signature
Comments: Great tire. About 2,000 miles on them so far. Handle great on road, mud and slick rock. I plan on using this tire again in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Firestone Destination A/T

Tire Rack Survey Results

Manufacturer's Website

drlau:

KJ: 2006 Sport/Gas
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T, 235/70R16, Firestone store - $486 installed
Wheels: Stock Sport steel rims
Lift: None yet...
Rubbing: Nada
Comments: So far so good. I wanted a good all-around tire that was good in rain and snow, but could tackle forest trails with a little mud, too. They have performed great on rain-slick roads, loose gravel, and sand. Just as quiet on the road as the stock GoodYear Wrangler ST. I'll update with mud and snow performance as I encounter them.

update: Good performance in snow. Bit real good, and did well on some ice, too. Still very happy with these tires...

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

General Grabbers A/T 2

Tire Rack Survey Results

Manufacturer's Website

Bugnout

KJ: 2005 Sport/CRD
Tires: General Grabber A/T 235x85 R16, - $133 each
Wheels: Stock Alloys
Lift: OME + top spacer, Lift measurement 21" from center hub to bottom of flare at all four corners.
Rubbing: Front slight at full lock on liner, None so far in the rear. I'm going to add 7/32 spacer in front and see if that eliminates any rubbing.
Comments: 32" tires, added a full inch over the 245x75R16's I was running. Very quiet compared to the Goodyear MT/R's I was running. Wet road performance is very good. with the MT/R's I always put the KJ in full time 4wd. Today I drove to work in the rain, I purposely did not engage fulltime, and felt very secure that I wouldn't loose traction. I'll update as I put a few miles and get out in the snow this winter.

Post subject: Re: Application Reports: Wheels and Tires
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:55 am 
LOST Junkie

KJ_WHEELER_2010

KJ: 2005 "Trail Rated"
Tires:265/70R16 Terra Grapplers
Wheels: 16x8 ProComp 7031's
Lift:OME
Rubbing:Up front cut the bumper, pounded the pinch weld, now its all clear. Rear rubs at full stuff, gonna have to trim the plastic.
Comments: Love the stance with this wheel/tire combo. The tires don't make alotta noise going down the road. However I kinda wish that I would have got something better for off road. These are more of an AT. For someones DD they would be fine if you only do light wheeling on the weekends. Feel free to PM me with questions about my combo.

1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3897619/2005-jeep-liberty-sport-sport-utility-4d

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:50 am 
LOST Member

2006 crd
Ome lift jba top plate
15x10 not sure offset wheels
31x10.50x15 Goodyear authority tires
Beat pinch welds and removed front inner fenders

I have only had the tires on for about 50 miles but they seem like a great tire. Some noise at highway speeds but not mud terrain noise.

Walmart has them priced right now at 150 a tire. I think rh an mount and balance is 670. I'll let you know as I wear them more. By the way I bought the set on chevy wheels for 300 bucks with 800 miles on them

Ome lift with 31x10.50 tires and 15x10 wheels
Bedlined flares and rockers
Tj custom bumper mod
Scorpion diesel tuner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJ: 2006 sport
Tires: 245/75/16, goodyear, wrangler authority, E ?, walmart, 140 per tire
Wheels: Stock For Now 16x7 thinking about going to 16x8
Lift: Skyjacker Platinum 2.5, too much $1500ish installed