It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OEM Wrangler ST's - Ditch 'em?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've had my new Rocky Mountain for a week now, and did some checking on the Goodyear Wrangler ST's that came on it. I looked at the reviews on tirerack.com and everyone blasted them. Poor traction in the wet was the main complaint. (One guy said to take them off immediately and destroy them so no one else gets hurt)
Does any one out there have long term experience with this tire, or does everyone yank them off right away like the stock pipes on a Harley?
I can't complain so far, but wonder why Jeep doesn't put a more aggresive tread on new Libertys.
Thanks

Molded Splash Guards
Slush Mats
Molded Cargo Tray
Cargo Area Security Cover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:54 pm 
LOST Member

The Wrangler ST's were the basic tire offered on a KJ. Then came the RS-A's (little more beefier) and the SR-A's (little more beefier also, and considerd an All Terrain .....HAHAHAHA!). But bottom line, all 3 suck.....horribly! I have the SR-A's on mine, and when new, they were not too terribly bad. Once adjusting to a RWD vehicle (had all Front WD cars before the jeep) and the weight of the vehicle and other conditions, I began to get a feel for how bad they really were. Rain they are a serious threat to anybody and everybody pretty much...lol. Snow they arent too bad, as well as dry traction. Also don't plan on goin through alot of mud with em.

However, I've had my KJ for 2 years and 2 months roughly, and still have the OEM SR-A's on them. Even though they got bad reviews on tire rack, they were noted for their long life. I'm just not seeing that. I'm at 26K and they're lookin pretty sorry! I could probably make it through the winter with them, but seeing as we didn't get any snow last winter, probably means we're gonna get clobbered this winter, so i'd rather not risk it. I plan on replacing them with Bridgestone Dueler A/t 693's with in the next month or so.

This is why you'll often hear the OEM's referred to as "crapyears" "good for a years" and various other terms.

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Alot of this depends on how you drive and where you drive.

You don't want to be speeding on a wet day with either stock tire (i've had both, SR-A's on my 04' and now ST's on my 05') You also don't want to be hard on the gas in a turn unless you want to power slide.

Bottom line is the tires pretty much suck. But if you don't drive the KJ like a sports car or don't off road alot then you are ok.

28D package (full skids)
Trailer tow group
Auto tranny
Trac-Loc
Jeep seat covers
K&N air filter
Moog K3199 LBJs
Frankenlift
Al's upper A arms
Goodyear wrangler silent armor
255/70-16

Post subject: ST
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:00 am 
LOST Member

The ST even by Goodyear's standards are not rated well for wet traction... .they rate it 5 out of 10 in their 2005 Tire Data book. It is an OEM tire put on the Jeep to effectively give it a quiet ride (rate of 8 of 10 by GY).

They are only good for sliding around.

Post subject: Re: OEM Wrangler ST's - Ditch 'em?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Kay Jay wrote:
I've had my new Rocky Mountain for a week now, and did some checking on the Goodyear Wrangler ST's that came on it. I looked at the reviews on tirerack.com and everyone blasted them. Poor traction in the wet was the main complaint. (One guy said to take them off immediately and destroy them so no one else gets hurt)
Does any one out there have long term experience with this tire, or does everyone yank them off right away like the stock pipes on a Harley?
I can't complain so far, but wonder why Jeep doesn't put a more aggresive tread on new Libertys.
Thanks

Hey Kay Jay,

Where you at in Pittsburgh, I grew up just outside the city in Natrona Heights. I usually go back down once a month or so to visit my folks. Check out the Mid-Atlantic Lost Forum if you already have not done so. If you want to go wheelin' there are a few people around pittsburgh, that would probably like to go out.

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:13 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll be cautious in the wet and see if these tires are tolerable, but it looks like new skins will be on my shopping list.

Nate- Great lookin' Renegade. That's the one I shouda bought. (I had the dealer search for an '05 indentical to yours - but all gone by mid-September)
I'm from Green Tree, but have a country streak from my earlier days out west. A good friend of mine from college lived in Natrona, but it's been many years since I've been up that way.

Molded Splash Guards
Slush Mats
Molded Cargo Tray
Cargo Area Security Cover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:13 am 

The compound on these is too hard. They were built for mileage and not traction. Goodyear hardly sells any of these outside of their original equipment contracts. Ditch em when you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:28 am 
LOST Junkie

Well I have about 3000 miles on mine and already I notice serious traction problems when it's wet. I tried telling my 'rents about it but they claim its just because i accelerate too fast :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I remember posts on the old board wherein some of the moderators had wheeled Moab and some of the tougher trails in So-Cal so they can't "suck". They won't be as tough as certain aftermarket products but that can be said about nearly the whole can't it? I've got 10,000 miles on my stock tires and I've been on half a dozen 3-4+ trails here in Arizona. They don't suck; they just aren't as good as what else can be bought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:51 pm 
LOST Member

Seth, it is all relative and subjective to each user. Tires must be compared to one another for objective review. The ST do not excel well in Off Road nor On Road wet or dry conditions.

Given the Arizona climate, they may suit your needs fine with little rain. I have Goodyear ST's, SRA's, Fortera HL, Michelin Artic Ice all on the KJ and can attest to the ST's lack of grip. That is why Consumer Report is a great reference as it compares the same size tires side by side on the same vehicle for braking, handling and wet, hydroplaning and ice conditions. This Nov issue covers snow and AS tires. Last year it covered SUV tires for on road use. It also mentioned the Bridgestone Dueller AT D693 as the gold standard for AT tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:56 pm 

SethX9 wrote:
I remember posts on the old board wherein some of the moderators had wheeled Moab and some of the tougher trails in So-Cal so they can't "suck". They won't be as tough as certain aftermarket products but that can be said about nearly the whole can't it? I've got 10,000 miles on my stock tires and I've been on half a dozen 3-4+ trails here in Arizona. They don't suck; they just aren't as good as what else can be bought.

Anything grips well on slick rock. Its the wet pavement where these are down right dangerous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Serious problems with my SRA's when it was wet. Never took them off road.

31x9.5 SS TSLs!
Detroit Truetrac/Powertrax
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2062875

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
it is all relative and subjective to each user

That is exactly the point of my post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Anything grips well on slick rock.

well....slick rock may require less in terms of special tires than other terrains but some treads perform better on slickrock than other treads.

Quote:
Its the wet pavement where these are down right dangerous.

that's a modifier I can live with.