It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painted Moabs (Black)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:44 pm 
LOST Addict

The weather has finally been nice and I got my Moab wheels painted. I used Eastwood paint. Here is a quick list of the products used: Sandpaper, Bulldog adhesive promoter, Rust-oleum automotive primer, Eastwood satin black wheel paint and Eastwood Diamond clear coats.
I was really impressed with the results. After I let the paint dry I mounted my Goodyear MTRs (245/75/16) nothing exotic but I gotta say again I really happy with the final results. Give me some imput what do you think?

On the prowl for an M416/M101/M100 trailer
L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:09 pm 
LOST Addict

those are some really nice looking retreads! Are they treadwrights? Did you have any problems getting them to put the retreads on mt/r shells.

245/75-16 Mastercraft Courser HSX, 16x7 Cragar, 2" OME MD Lift, ARB Bumper
AEM Brute Force Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Currently working on: Full service on transmission & bed-lining ARB bumper

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=84650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:22 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

looks real good, fine job on painting them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:40 pm 
LOST Addict

jeepkj02 wrote:
those are some really nice looking retreads! Are they treadwrights? Did you have any problems getting them to put the retreads on mt/r shells.

Treadwrights they are. I did request Mickey Thompsons but they said it could take a few weeks that those are hard to come by. So went with the next best option.

L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:57 am 
LOST Member

That's a professional-looking paint job there. If I didn't know that wheel came shiny metal, I'd have thought that was a factory option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:37 pm 
LOST Member

tomsjeep wrote:
That's a professional-looking paint job there. If I didn't know that wheel came shiny metal, I'd have thought that was a factory option.

I concur. Those look awesome!!! How much time did it take to sand them... I guess you had to sand it down pretty good. Was there a clearcoat you had to remove?

Let us know how they hold out... ie will they flake off after awhile?

....o_o_o_o
../| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L--↨|||||||↨
()_)¯ ()_) ¯¯¯ )_)

(\__/)
(='.'=) <]{
(")_(")

( . )( . )

Hare on my Chest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:52 am 
LOST Member

those retreads look better than the originals. i want to know too how are they holding up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:02 am 
LOST Addict

Liberator wrote:
How much time did it take to sand them... I guess you had to sand it down pretty good. Was there a clear coat you had to remove?

Time sanding them down was about four hours; most of the clear coat was taken off. I too am very curious if they will hold the Minnesota salty winters.

L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Black Moabs look awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:34 am 
LOST Member

Maximum Carnage wrote:
Liberator wrote:
How much time did it take to sand them... I guess you had to sand it down pretty good. Was there a clear coat you had to remove?

Time sanding them down was about four hours; most of the clear coat was taken off. I too am very curious if they will hold the Minnesota salty winters.

The bonus to having your own process is you can always make touch-ups, or redos as needed. And then just pretend they wear like iron.
But personally, I'll keep my fingers crossed they hold up well for you. Black has a lot of advantages for a paint job... most easily available rattlecan, even lots of gas stations and quickie marts carry it. You can always run to WalMart and pick up another touch-up coat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Went with Eastwood paint, yeah it’s still rattle can. But when I talked to a local auto paint supplier they told me it was better than anything I would be able to buy at Walmart and better than Dupli-color. Hopefully it will last longer, I’ve heard nothing but good things about Eastwood paint. But yeah, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I want to see pics of the wheels on the KJ. :wink:

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:07 am 
LOST Addict

dieselenthusiast wrote:
I want to see pics of the wheels on the KJ. :wink:

Here you go. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=42062

L.O.S.T. Member 2877

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

What vehicle do Moabs come off of? They look good in black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:18 pm 

toknight wrote:
What vehicle do Moabs come off of? They look good in black.

Wrangler Rubicons ( before 07) 16X8 with 5.5 inch of backspacing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Those look pretty sweet. 8)

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:11 am 
LOST Newbie

I want those for my jeep! I just can't find any around here. I don't want to pay an outrageous amount of money for them either....one day I'll have them...or I might just paint my stock ones black..I just don't know how it'll look. I'm bad with photoshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:39 am 
LOST Junkie

Further proof that Black is indeed beautiful 8)

nice job...has me considering the same idea with some 16" Cherokee rims...

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

06JeepLiberty wrote:
I want those for my jeep! I just can't find any around here. I don't want to pay an outrageous amount of money for them either....one day I'll have them...or I might just paint my stock ones black..I just don't know how it'll look. I'm bad with photoshop

Stock ones look much better...and help you hold off till you find a good deal on MOABs...

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

Post subject: Hate to Necro but i have something to add
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:26 am 
LOST Member

I'll try to break this down quick, i read this and wanted to try it, since i could not afford new rims at the time. I bought sand paper, primer (which is the same thing as adhesive promoter as far as im concerned and the guys at home depot and the auto stores, same deal). Ok No such thing as eastwood in arizona (or in the area) that anyone i talked to knows of. So i was gunna go Dupli-Color lol seems all the auto stores are phasing Dupli-Color out for Rust oleum (In my area). They must have got a better deal. I ended up with 2 cans of rust oleum black primer, 2 cans of Rim paint, cans of clear coat and 2 cans of aircraft stripper all rust oleum. Also used some steel wool ( a pack with dif sizes)

To make along story Longer, The Rust oleum stripper sucks don't buy it (i used 2 cans and needed to buy another). I got Tal-strip in a spray can from Checkers auto parts looks generic but it works,

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-1094 ... -3711.aspx

I think i could have used 1 can on all 5 rims. Anyway The primer, rim paint and clear coat work fine.

My mistakes: First 3 rims i painted (i did the spare then 2 at a time, i live in an apartment and could not block the whole car) I did not paint the back thinking I'm ok its already black. I ended up redoing 2 and primer-ing/ quick clear coating the spare. Came out ok but could have been better.

I did not take off the weights ( i was having the tires changes a week later and it didnt occur to me to take the weights off and paint that area) so after i changed the tires i had to touch up that area.

If u have more than one car and can take the tires all the way of the rim i recommend it will come out much better.

Don't use striper on the plastic cap! lol i did this and screwed the cap up, i spent twice as long sanding it and it was still crappy so just sand the bad boy primer, paint then clearcoat. I used the crappy one on the spare. Also be careful taking em off i broke one of the "clips" but the lugs keep it on the spare so not to bad. I was a zelot and sanded as much off as i could but you don't need to, just scuff it so the primer will stick.

I forgot to add: when you primer/paint/clearcoat the rims u can use index cards taped togeather to help keep the overspray off the tire face, u can also tape the face lettering. I started this then said screw it, tires were being changed in a week. Only part thats kinda of a pain if the outside of the rim bead close to the rim. I did this with 3 taped index cards and some careful spraying.

Do this and avoid the mistakes i made and you should be ok.

PS. i sanded one rim and it took way to long and came out kinda weird for me so stripping the whole thing was way better in my opinion. I had to strip the one i sanded anyway, i say strip it and only sand the plastic. Just my 2 cents. Takes 2 or max 3 coats to clean strip all to the metal. One strip for most with Tal-strip then nooks and crannys, forgot to mention u need some steel wool (or i used it to clear the stripped paint away).

Hope this helps someone.

I got the Black lugnuts from Summitracing.

Rola Roof rack
4 Hella 700FF's on Rack
2 KC daylighters on bumper
2 Turn tables and a microphone

I want to leave this world like i came into it.... screaming, naked and covered in someone else's blood.

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/smith/