It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MTRs - Pressure?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:21 am 

For those of you running MTRs, what pressure have you found to be best on the street?

I just put a set of 245/75/16 (load rating E) MTRs on last night and wondering what a good starting point would be.

Post subject: Re: MTRs - Pressure?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Skyjump136 wrote:
For those of you running MTRs, what pressure have you found to be best on the street?

I just put a set of 245/75/16 (load rating E) MTRs on last night and wondering what a good starting point would be.

Joel - How do they look mounted up? Post a pic yet?

www.arcticoffroad.com
www.mountaineers4x4.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:44 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

I've been running 40 with no problems after 10k miles.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:42 pm 

40, eh? I've got them at 33 right now, but I may give that a go. Is there a particular reason you settled on 40 (less noise, better mileage, etc)?

Thanks for the reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:43 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Im at 40 psi also....I've run them there for the last 25K and they seem to be wearing evenly.

Best way to decide if they are over/under inflated is to chalk the tread and drive forward and see where the chalk wears off. If it's the middle...they're under inflated...sides...over inflated.

I didn't use this method of course (to much work !).....I just ran what everyone else was running .... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:52 pm 
LOST Addict

I usually run around 38 for street driving. When I ran them at 33, my mileage was about 2mpg less. I have just under 5000 miles on them. Will be rotating at my next oil change. That is probably the most important thing to do to prolong the tire life.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:01 pm 

Thanks for the responses. These tires don’t seem to look any different from 24 up to 40 psi. Generally I can look at a tire and tell from the bulge whether or not I am close on the pressure. When I bought and mounted these they had 24psi in them. Now I’m up to 40 and the sidewalls look essentially the same (virtually no bulge at all). Weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:08 pm 
I live here
I live here

It is the strong sidewall that they have compared to most tires.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:47 pm 

Yep, that's what I decided as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:37 am 

The sidewall is why I dumped my BFG's for MTR's. I hated airing down and running rocks then airing up and trusting the BFG's on the highway. If you haven't noticed...im all about the beefiest...strongest...safeist.

Buy it once....thats my motto.

You can run the MTR"s at any pressure over 33 psi on the street without hurting them. I like the lower rolling resistance at 40psi. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:11 pm 
LOST Addict

jpzkj wrote:
The sidewall is why I dumped my BFG's for MTR's. I hated airing down and running rocks then airing up and trusting the BFG's on the highway. If you haven't noticed...im all about the beefiest...strongest...safeist.

Buy it once....thats my motto.

You can run the MTR"s at any pressure over 33 psi on the street without hurting them. I like the lower rolling resistance at 40psi. 8)

When I ran 25psi on the MTR at Big Bear, boy, was it scary taking corners :) It sure felt different than when they were at, what, 40psi or thereabout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

jpzkj wrote:
Im at 40 psi also....I've run them there for the last 25K and they seem to be wearing evenly.

Best way to decide if they are over/under inflated is to chalk the tread and drive forward and see where the chalk wears off. If it's the middle...they're under inflated...sides...over inflated.

I didn't use this method of course (to much work !).....I just ran what everyone else was running .... :lol:

I think you may have it reversed. If the chalk wears off the middle the tire is overinflated, off the sides, tire is underinflated.

The chalk method is probably the most accurate way to find the pressure where the weight is evenly exerted across the width of the tread. Sidewall bulge, or lack of bulge, is meaningless.

Bill Tolle
04 Sahara
04 Liberty

If you love offroading and want the trails to stay open please join Blueribbon Coalition.
"Preserving our natural resources FOR the public instead of FROM the public"
http://sharetrails.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:37 pm 
LOST Member

ran consistently at 28psi without uneven tread wear, and had a comfortable ride. I never air down for trails, either, and no KJ has smoked me on a trail yet. if you want better mpg, keep them above 32, at least. 40 should be fine. the sidewalls are so strong that it takes nearly twice the variation in psi to reap the same changes in sidewall "flex" and tread "arch."

example: to keep my KJ tires strapped down while on a u-haul car trailer, I had to air down to 5 psi. when done, I drove the sucker 1 mile (slowly) on asphalt to the gas station without hurting the tires at all...

grant

07 Ram 1500 RST 5.7L LOST #584737
Regency Custom Pkg - Black leather with red baseball stitching, 22" Foose "Speedster" wheels & Pirelli Scorpions, Brushed Aluminum gauges, roll pan, dual exhaust, lowered sport-tuned suspension, 4W Baers, BedRug, power everything
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/ltwgs

Post subject: hey
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:45 pm 
This member has been Banned

The tire companys told me one time that no matter the type (sidewalls) you should use factory TP.

The only time you would go higher is if you were loaded, then don't exceed max pressure

Of course you can go lower if off road. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I run mine at 40 psi without problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

However, a slightly lower tire pressure will be a smoother ride over potholes (and less time to airup at the end of the trail). TOO low though causes overheating, blowouts and death, so be careful, and keep an eye on it! :D