It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goodyear Wrangler ST's
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:01 pm 
LOST Member

So the inevidible happened today and the weathermen in the area said we wouldn't get any snow. 1" later I'm driving home on the highway. :banghead: Anyway, the roads weren't that bad, most of the snow was blowing off the road due to the cars driving over it. Every time I slowed down or stopped due to traffic and hit the gas lightly to get going again, the rear wheels would break loose and the traction control would kick in. I'm talking about going anywhere between 0-20mph. Dead stop or rolling. Can these tires really be this bad? They were replacements when I bought the Jeep used about 7 months ago so there is plenty of tread left.

Prior to this I had a 2004 and 2008 Frontier and never even had to use the 4x4 in the snow on the roads. Now I don't want to go down the street without putting it into 4 wheel drive but I don't know if that will help. At least I know the traction control works. :ROTFL:

I've never had tires this bad. I scared to see what happens when we get real snow or ice. :shock: Luckily I was planning on getting new tires soon but was hoping to make it through the winter first. I guess I need to get that lift in ASAP.

On a related note, does anyone know of a good shop in the Boston area? I would like to put the lift in myself but have no garage, a narrow and uneven driveway and all of my friends in this area don't know the difference between a socket and a screwdriver. :ALONE:

Thanks

Dez

Mods:
Skyslider fix, K&N Drop in Filter, 7" Soundstream DVD/CD/MP3 Sirius radio with Navigation, Super 44 OR,
Jet Chip Stage II, Mickey Thompson Classic II's with 245/75/16 Duratracs, 3.5" RK lift, JBA A-Arms, OEM Grill Guard,
KC Daylighters, OEM Skids, Hitch, & Tow Hooks

1973 MGB

Post subject: Re: Goodyear Wrangler ST's
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd say yes the tires are that bad.I test drove KKs before I bought and knew I disliked the tires.I got my used 08 in April 7500 miles,changed the tires in November 15000 miles.Ive got 10000 on my Cooper Discoverers and I like them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:21 am 
LOST Addict

Yes, they can be that bad....the Junkyear ST's were junk brand new so not a surprise you are having problems. We too had almost brand new replacements put on ours right before we bought it, I replaced them with some Cooper CTS all season for my wife.....night and day difference. Just be careful with them in the snow until you get some new ones, they are horrible

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:51 am 
LOST Addict

Yes they are that bad.. the original owner of my KJ spun out and smacked a curb, disabling the Jeep with 56 miles on the odometer according to CarFax! It's gotta' be the s****y tires Jeep put on these things. They are HORRIBLE!

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter