It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Treadwright MTR's
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:12 pm 
LOST Addict

You can claim anything you want. In the end they are still caps. I have a lot of experience with caps. Caps will always have a higher failure rate than a normal tire. You can't install caps on the steer axle of a commercial vehicle. It's against the law. Wonder why? I'm not trying to knock the tires. Just trying to inform people of the hazards involved when using caps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you'd like data - please feel free to click on the Tire Retread website - they've got links to the Government studies about retreads - including the analysis of the 'road gators'

I've read most of them.

http://www.retread.org/Government/

The overwhelming cause of failure - was low tire pressure.
didn't really matter if it was retread or original

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

They are honeslty working WONDERS in this snow storm! Haven't skid once and plus they still hum :twisted: :D :P

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:27 pm 
LOST Addict

You still can't use them on a steer axle of a commercial truck. WHY?? If they were as good as normal tires... My family is worth more to me than $150 saved on a set tires.

http://articles.cnn.com/2008-08-08/us/t ... s?_s=PM:US

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:38 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Some need to read some more on how retreads are done passenger -vs- truck etc. There is a difference, but everytime people want to bring truck caps in to the conversation of passenger retreads, see the difference?
Bet most don't know that almost all of the cabs in NYC run retreads, the USPS runs retreads on their mail trucks / delivery vehicles, many others as well , they are safe if done in a plant that knows what they are doing. Used to be some who took short cuts etc but they are no longer around due to inferior products. retreading tires has been around for a long time. If they were not safe these places would not still be in business 30-40 years later

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You're asking me to explain a political decision????

I have a fair amount of respect for the Government employees who collect and analyze the data - that respect does not extend to the politicians who write 'laws'.

best guess is the tire companies had better paid lobbyists than the retread companies.
second guess would be politicians would rather do something counterproductive - than be seen as 'not doing anything'

a better law would be that tires have a performance spec to meet - whether they're retread or original... but hey that would never pass.

FYI - if you want to argue that some companies who try to save money on retreads - also cut corners on maintenance - including pressure checks - I wouldn't argue that, and I think it's a big deal.

and we've had this discussion before - does a single antidote - prove anything?
well it proves it happened once - and trailers blowing tires on original tires - are so common they don't even make the news (although it is in the reports)

So I'm still at - while retreads pushed to the limits -may be more dangerous than the original - however that's way down the Pareto - Air pressure, Load, Temperature, speed - so outweigh the retreads/original...that it's the noise, it's no more that tire company A vs tire company B.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Steer axle tires on commercial applications such as box trucks or road tractors are under stresses that passenger vehicles do not come close to is one portion of the answer

Restrictions dating back to pre 1980 issues with CAPS is another part of the answer

vulcanization techniques and the physical application of the tread are different when comparing retread and caps

Find the lateral seam on the treadwrights - it's a task no different than telling someone who's standing in a round room to go pee in the corner as there is no lateral seam

We used to use RETREADS at the dragway all the time, compounds softer so they got better bite and it cut the cost per run

On the flip side, i've had retreads, caps and standard commercial tires fail, even had one explode while I was under the vehicle, all were issues with being driven or having been driven at improper psi's and well past their safe mileages

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
Bet most don't know that almost all of the cabs in NYC run retreads, the USPS runs retreads on their mail trucks / delivery vehicles, many others as well , they are safe if done in a plant that knows what they are doing

Using caps always boils down to one thing. $$$
Argue all you want about how safe they are and how much differert they are made today. Whatever justifies it for ya. What you can't argue is the older,more mileage a tire casing has on it, the higher the failure rate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

wow i didn't know my HAPPY post about my new tires would be such a big deal. Be HAPPY people, stop arguing. There is a time to argue if i post pix of my near death experience with these tires, but lets pray that doesn't happen. I'm doing fine. My tires are doing fine. My truck is HAPPY and beautiful and i LOVE her. Be Happy people! Cheer up :SOMBRERO: :seuss: :jester: :rockon: :POPCORN: :CAMPING: :BINGO: :-)r :mrgreen: :lol: :D

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

recurring discussion.........

just make sure you check tire pressure regularly - especially in the summer.

keep your tires and truck happy :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

And I am very happy for you. Glad to see ANOTHER good review and experience with Treadwrights. I'll be joining you with a set of 5 in the spring.

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:46 pm 
LOST Addict

If anybody has a set of TreadWright tires that they are scared of, PM me and I'll take them off your hands. :pepper:

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:16 am 
LOST Junkie

ATXKJ wrote:
recurring discussion.........

just make sure you check tire pressure regularly - especially in the summer.

keep your tires and truck happy :)

I'll keep her as truck happy as happy can be :]

long_tall_texan wrote:
And I am very happy for you. Glad to see ANOTHER good review and experience with Treadwrights. I'll be joining you with a set of 5 in the spring.

Thank you, and good choice :BANANA:

LibertyCRD wrote:
If anybody has a set of TreadWright tires that they are scared of, PM me and I'll take them off your hands. :pepper:

I think that'll be pretty hard because if i love them, im sure others will too!!! :BINGO:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:22 pm 
LOST Member

38k on mine. No problems at all. Just under half tread left. Will definately buy again!

06' Liberty Sport, herculined all plastic, ome/rancho front with clevis and 3/8" top plate, 927 OME with to extra isolators, 265/75R16 howlers, 40 series flowmaster, front tow hooks, http://s852.photobucket.com/albums/ab82/JMSMN/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm buying a set of Treadwright MTR's sometime soon just to use on the trail and on special days (like Somernite's Cruise when I go show off my Jeep). Unless I find a nice used set of the real thing. They'll be put on steel 16" KJ wheels. I don't see a problem with these tires. Every review I've seen about these tires were good. If you got a problem with the tires, start your own thread about them instead of trashing this persons thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:41 am 
LOST Junkie

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
I'm buying a set of Treadwright MTR's sometime soon just to use on the trail and on special days (like Somernite's Cruise when I go show off my Jeep). Unless I find a nice used set of the real thing. They'll be put on steel 16" KJ wheels. I don't see a problem with these tires. Every review I've seen about these tires were good. If you got a problem with the tires, start your own thread about them instead of trashing this persons thread.

Thank you :ALONE:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's been awhile now. How you liking those gaurd dogs. How are they in the snow? I think I'll be getting a set in the very near future. The rep at treadright told me that the warden is more aggressive but I find it hard to believe that an a/t is more aggressive than a m/t but it's a mute point if the gaurd dogs do well in winter driving conditions.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

they are amazing tires. they do reallllllllllly well in the snow. i never got stuck and i even pulled out a few people. they love all weather conditions. i would highly suggest getting them. i love the aggressive look to them as well. I still dont have to buy new tires yet. maybe like 4 more months then i think about buying new tires.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

will you buy another set?

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's