It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Treadwright
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I like the way this shaping up... but is your 45-65 a top range for noise or speed also? That may kill it for me.

LibertyCRD wrote:
A couple of thoughts based on personal experience:

1) The Wardens are nearly as loud on the road as the Guard Dogs. Both hummmm pretty good at 45-65 MPH. I'd take the Guard Dogs for their increased traction.

2) The tread SHAPE is a copy of popular designs (BFG KO, Goodyear MT/R, etc.). However, the tread SPACING and lug size is smaller than the name brands, hence it's not an exact copy (which is how they legally get away with it probably). This means that the Warden tire doesn't have as much void between the lugs as a BFG KO new tire does, and will suck even worse in the mud and snow. This is another reason I'd go with the Guard Dogs. They are an aggressive all-terrain. They can hold up OK in mud, but are good for the street too.

OME 926/948 w/ OME Shocks, 3/8 Boiler, 1" LTT, a bit of Clevis lift
MOPAR Skids, Custom trans skid
Valley Roof Basket with Extension (when required), Homemade fence post crossbars with Thule system to compliment
Mastercraft A\T Something or another...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:21 am 
LOST Addict

There is road noise at any speed. But I'm specifically talking about cruising speed (45-65 MPH) where most people drive. Both tires (Warden and Guard Dog) are somewhat noisy at these speeds. Not horrible by any means....but you can tell they are there. What I'm simply saying that in my opinion, since both tires hum on the road, I'd go with the Guard Dog since at least you are getting better traction that way.

I'd drive these tires to 100 MPH...I'm not afraid of them at all. I've thrown everything imaginable at TreadWright tires and have had zero failures. I'd buy them and put them on anything.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LibertyCRD wrote:
There is road noise at any speed. But I'm specifically talking about cruising speed (45-65 MPH) where most people drive. Both tires (Warden and Guard Dog) are somewhat noisy at these speeds. Not horrible by any means....but you can tell they are there. What I'm simply saying that in my opinion, since both tires hum on the road, I'd go with the Guard Dog since at least you are getting better traction that way.

I'd drive these tires to 100 MPH...I'm not afraid of them at all. I've thrown everything imaginable at TreadWright tires and have had zero failures. I'd buy them and put them on anything.

Thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Valley Roof Basket with Extension (when required), Homemade fence post crossbars with Thule system to compliment

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

and....

245\75\16 Guard Dogs Ordered

I am stoked! :BANANA: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :BANANA: :pepper:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ATXKJ wrote:
as to "Treadwright does not use the same manufacturing process as others do on truck re-caps."

I have not seen any data to support that statement - and based on the NTHSA report - I'd put Michelin and Goodyear truck tire retread operations as 'State of the Art' in retreading.

and regularly checking your tire pressure - is still much, more important than whether tires are retread or original.

I do not recall where I read it, but since I don't have the source, I suppose it is now more here-say. And thanks for the other link too. I'd agree that the retreads today are state of the art. They are 100% safe IMHO,

- DIY Franky sitting at 23.75" - Al's 4.5 UCAs - Trimmed F&R Bumpers
- Removed Rear Sway Bar - Removed Rear Vibration Damper
- 75k miles so far...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Reading your tag line LTT... What all do you have getting yah to 23.75? I assume you have no rubbing with that tire size and a good amount of lift.

long_tall_texan wrote:
ATXKJ wrote:
as to "Treadwright does not use the same manufacturing process as others do on truck re-caps."

I have not seen any data to support that statement - and based on the NTHSA report - I'd put Michelin and Goodyear truck tire retread operations as 'State of the Art' in retreading.

and regularly checking your tire pressure - is still much, more important than whether tires are retread or original.

I do not recall where I read it, but since I don't have the source, I suppose it is now more here-say. And thanks for the other link too. I'd agree that the retreads today are state of the art. They are 100% safe IMHO,

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

he has a 2wd

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:52 pm 
LOST Addict

bunkermonkeycw wrote:
and....

245\75\16 Guard Dogs Ordered

I am stoked! :BANANA: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :BANANA: :pepper:

Can you do me a favor and post up some good pics of them mounted on your Jeep when you get them on? I have run multiple sets of TreadWrights on other Jeeps but not the KJ. I want to see the 245/75s actually mounted on a KJ. Some shots that show how wide they are on the wheels and how the profile of the tire looks on the wheels is really what I want to see.

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Of course, and if you dont like my angle or camera, tell me Ill fix you up with what you want to see. Their on a fed ex truck that left Colorado this morning around 8 CO time... Let the waiting game begin! :? :shock: :D 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll need tires sometime this year, and thought about the TreadWright's. So I had to do a little reading on this thread to see what everyone says about TreadWright's. From what I've read, everyone has really good things to say about these tires. For those who know my Jeep, I currently run 245/75/16 BFG KM2's and would LOVE to buy another set of these. Well I'm not willing to throw down $900 for the tires. With that said, I'm probably going to buy TreadWright's (245/75R16 GUARD DOG M/T (E)). I really like the tread pattern on this particular tire.

Couple questions I have:
#1: How many miles has someone gotten out of their TreadWright's?
#2: How do they perform offroad?

99% of my driving is highway driving, so these tires will need to do their stuff on the highway most of the time. 1% is when I go driving on my farm or on a couple trails. For the price of a set of Gaurd Dog's (4 tires), I might be able to re-do my lift set-up as well. My KJ needs a new face lift, with only 10,000 miles on my Daystar lift set-up (and many more miles to come). While I have the money, I want to re-do my suspension so I won't be constantly worrying about it. Also I want to be sure my Jeep will last a long time and look good at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

blackwidowkj06 wrote:

Couple questions I have:
#1: How many miles has someone gotten out of their TreadWright's?
#2: How do they perform offroad?

I have 40,000+ miles on mine. Look like I might get 15 or 20 thou. more. They work well off road.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Plus 1. I've got close to 40,000 on mine and still probably have close to 20,000 left

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:07 am 
LOST Addict

BW, just get the load range D's, you will never haul more than the D range tires with the Liberty. I run D range on my Tahoe and pull up to 6-7000#s at times, you won't need that with the Liberty.
I too may consider the Treadwrights next time around, but I don't need the MTR's and I can't stand BFG AT's so not sure if I will buy them.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TAHOE wrote:
BW, just get the load range D's, you will never haul more than the D range tires with the Liberty. I run D range on my Tahoe and pull up to 6-7000#s at times, you won't need that with the Liberty.
I too may consider the Treadwrights next time around, but I don't need the MTR's and I can't stand BFG AT's so not sure if I will buy them.

I never haul anything with my Jeep anyways :mrgreen:
Maybe a dirtbike or fourwheeler but I doubt that will happen. :|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:40 am 
LOST Addict

Most of the tires TreadWright sells are "E" rated. They have a few "C" and "D" rated sizes, but not many. You kind of have to take what you can get. But the money you save on the tires will make up for the fuel economy you lose with the heavy "E" load rating.

There is a tire called the Axiom that is better suited for highway use, so to the guy who hates the BFG pattern you might try those.

Also, TreadWright says they use a heavy duty truck compound rubber, so on a Jeep the tires should last a LONG time. I've never had a set long enough to wear them out... but I've never noticed them wearing fast.

If you look at the specs. on the TreadWright page, the 245/75 and the 265/70 have the same diameter and the same tread width for all intents and purposes. So... I'd really be tempted to try the 265s instead. I'll bet they'd look better.

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Looks good. :JEEPIN:

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 pm 
LOST Member

Got a stupid ? but here it goes for all of you that are running the treadwright guard dogs 245/75 what air pressure do you go with personally, treadwright says go wit whats on the inside of the driver side door, but also says you can go with the side recommended psi :shock:

So what do you personally go with? :mrgreen:

Trimed Front Bumper, hopefully a front receiver soon
Boiler's Radiator Skid, Mopar Engine Skid
245/75-16 Guard Dog M/T
JBA Upper A-arms soon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:31 pm 
LOST Member

KTM87 wrote:
Got a stupid ? but here it goes for all of you that are running the treadwright guard dogs 245/75 what air pressure do you go with personally, treadwright says go wit whats on the inside of the driver side door, but also says you can go with the side recommended psi :shock:

So what do you personally go with? :mrgreen:

I run 35 psi and that seems to work well. They have 20,000+ miles on them now and have been wearing fine at that pressure. I have had no issues airing them down to around 10-15 to wheel either. Was kind of worried at first, since that voids the warranty I have heard, but they have performed quite admirably.

Can't say enough good things about Treadwright. They have out-performed my old style Goodyear MT/R's in every way, and for half the price. Only negative has been the noise after awhile. But then again they are no where near as loud as my chunked up, cupped, and thrashed MT/R's. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Im quite happy so far, still working on the trimming.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next