It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low Rolling Resistene or lowest tire weight for max MPG
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Looking for best mpg tire for liberty. Stock tire is light at 27 pounds but there are some low 30ish tires that are LRR. Any mpg experiences between stock vs heavier LRR options would be appreciated.

87 Suzuki Samurai - VW 1.6NA Diesel, SPOA
12 Toyota Prius V

Post subject: Re: Low Rolling Resistene or lowest tire weight for max MPG
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Trade in KJ and buy pruis,oh I see you already have one,buy another.

LRR tires are scary in wet weather,snow,and ice due to a super hard rubber compound.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:08 pm 
LOST Member

somehow this just doesn't seem like a good idea.

LRR + heavy booty jeep != good times... at least not to me.

• OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
[SIZE="1"]WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP[/SIZE]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

I don't think LRR tires are unsafe in non-snow general conditions, with a lot of highway driving. I'm deciding on tires right now, am tempted to buy snows for winter, run LRR highway tires for summer, you get great mpg and very quiet tires at the same time. I really don't want the hassle of changing over so will likely go with all-seasons, but then you don't get the best snow traction. Decisions, decisions ....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

theres no perfect tire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Not much snow in my 30k mile a year commute in San Diego. I'll let folks know what I get and how they perform. I'm a big offroad guy, not in the liberty, but am surprised that there arent more mpg optimizers for those that are daily driving these things, at least for the CRD folks.

Prius is a great car, no doubt about that, I've had two but enjoy the CRD. I have locked diff offroad diesels for harder trails but the CRD is a daily driver. The 4x4 is great for sand driving and light trail duty on trips but I'm looking for a tire that maximizes street and MPGs. I'll let folks know what I get and how it turns out.

87 Suzuki Samurai - VW 1.6NA Diesel, SPOA
12 Toyota Prius V

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I ran General Grabber HTS which is low rolling resistance and pretty good in the snow (see recent consumer reports comparison) and quiet. This was my first tire on my Crd so no direct comparison of mileage. I did get 28 mpg cruising mostly 80+ mph through New Mexico and Arizona.

From my research, suv tires that are LRR are not much better than mild tread all terrains.
I think tire weight matters quite a bit also.
For towing, light four wheeling and good mileage I have decided on the Hankook Dynapro ATM. They are snow flake symbol branded (no chains required except extreme conditions) and lighter than virtually all other choices.
Do not get D or E rated tires if you want mileage and ride! Way too heavy.

I'll let you know if my mileage changes!
No question though, all tires are a compromise.
Good luck

Oh, and I have a Prius too! Also a Polaris Rzr as my hardcore off road toy. Used to rock crawl in a Samurai and a Cherokee like this: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There is no question tire weight and rolling resistance make a difference. I was able to get as high as 38.7 mpg with the original Goodyear tires the truck came with. Like you said, 27lbs and a pretty lame tread pattern. I installed some Firestone Destination LE tires and my MPG dropped into the lower 30's. At the moment Im looking onto some Kumho Road Venture AT KL78. They weight 30lbs and have been rated pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:23 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Trade in KJ and buy pruis,oh I see you already have one,buy another.

LRR tires are scary in wet weather,snow,and ice due to a super hard rubber compound.

LRR + chains = win! lol

Bringing up this old post as I am in the search for tires.

Had Nokian Vatiiva's in LT225/75R16s. These are about 41 lbs each, did awesome in the snow, but now I need something else as they are completely worn out.

The LT tires were a waste on this vehicle, as last year didn't even get into the mountains.

Thinking about just going with the Destination LE2's. If it is really bad I will just put my chains on... that is what I bought them for anyways..

Last edited by dieseldoesit on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dieseldoesit wrote:
Had Nokian Vatiiva's in LT225/65R16s. These are about 41 lbs each, did awesome in the snow, but now I need something else as they are completely worn out.

The LT tires were a waste on this vehicle, as last year didn't even get into the mountains.

Thinking about just going with the Destination LE2's. If it is really bad I will just put my chains on... that is what I bought them for anyways..

With smaller then stock tires your not doing yourself any favors in the mpg area,great for power but that's it.Heck my 35" MT/R K's are only 67lbs each.I'd never run anything but a LT tire on a Jeep or pickup.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
dieseldoesit wrote:
Had Nokian Vatiiva's in LT225/65R16s. These are about 41 lbs each, did awesome in the snow, but now I need something else as they are completely worn out.

With smaller then stock tires your not doing yourself any favors in the mpg area,great for power but that's it.Heck my 35" MT/R K's are only 67lbs each.I'd never run anything but a LT tire on a Jeep or pickup.

Sorry, I mistyped, stock size is 225/75R16, which is what I currently have, NOT 225/65R16