It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stock..are Dura-Tracs so good to be worth sacrificing width?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

I recently bought a stock 2004 Libby which is my first forray into the world of Jeeps. Eventually I would like to install a Frankenlift but that's going to be at least a couple years down the road. I would also really like to get a set of Dura-Tracs but after doing some forum searches I see that the only size they make that I will be able to currently fit is the 225/75x16. There are a few other AT tires out there that I can get in a 245/70x16 and make work with a little massaging (pinch weld, etc...). So, I'm stuck... Get the wider tires now and then larger Dura-Tracs after I get a lift or the little bit narrower Dura-Tracs now and then still get the larger Dura-Tracs after I get a lift?

Post subject: Re: Stock..are Dura-Tracs so good to be worth sacrificing wi
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

some people are going with 215/85r16, so even narrower but taller (if you wanted a taller tire)

The duratracs should last you a few years until you get your OME lift, so I say get the 215 (they are a little cheaper) until you lift! But I am not a fan of wide tires.

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm running SXT Mud Terrain 215/85r16 from Les Schwab for a week now and love them so far. These are the tallest tires you can put on a stock KJ. They are narrower so you can turn the wheel fully in both directions without rubbing or needed to grind/beat/cut anything. Nice traction, too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm running 225/75/16 DuraTracs and I love them. I routinely drive in deep snow and I've never been stuck. They have excellent traction. If you really want DuraTracs you won't be disappointed if you get them in the thinner size.

Post subject: Stock..are Dura-Tracs so good to be worth sacrificing width?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:27 am 
cgass wrote:
I'm running 225/75/16 DuraTracs and I love them. I routinely drive in deep snow and I've never been stuck. They have excellent traction. If you really want DuraTracs you won't be disappointed if you get them in the thinner size.

Same exact experience here. I wanted to go with the stock size so that the computers interpret data properly for the stability/traction control. (and speedo/odo). I've had no regrets, and I'll replace them with a matching set once they're spent.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:11 am 
LOST Member

Thinner tires always offer more traction cause they cut a narrower path. I like the wide stance so I think anything narrower than a 10.50 looks goofy. Just my :2cents:

Ome lift with 31x10.50 tires and 15x10 wheels
Bedlined flares and rockers
Tj custom bumper mod
Scorpion diesel tuner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 pm 
LOST Member

I have 215/85 duratracs. They fit fine with no lift, and now that I'm lifted they still look fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:50 pm 
LOST Member

On my last KJ I had 235 75 R16 hankook atms no lift and no rubbing. Great in snow and on wet roads. Mud was good too. Well rated by some mags and cheep. My current KJ has destination ATs and they are OK. My opinion hankooks are better all around. Look better too. :SOMBRERO:

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown