It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheel and tire question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I am looking to see if I can get a smaller Cragar soft 8 wheel but a larger tire to keep it from rubbing. My KK is primarily used in town and on the highway...I would like to make the wheels and tires look a little beefier without needing a lift. If a lift is required, I am curious as to which one would be the best if I didn't want to lose a significant amount of ride quality...I've also read some of them can cause the suspension to sag a bit. I have been a car owner in the past and more into stereo modifications, but after checking out some of the things that you guys have done with your KK's, I feel the need to change some of the exterior aesthetics because I have already redone the entire stereo in my vehicle (and it sounds ridiculously good...I'll post pictures soon). Apologies if this should be in a different thread and thank you in advance for any input. I am looking forward to being a more active member in this KK community.

steve

Post subject: Re: Wheel and tire question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:25 am 
LOST Member

Welcome.
quite a few things going on here.
you can fit cragar soft 8s but they are heavy. Not good for MPGs (if that matters)
16 is going to be the best size with 235 75 16 being the biggest tire you can probably fit.
If you want to lift there are afew options out there. Checkout http://www.jeepinbyal.com/ for all the options there. The daystar kit will not change the ride quality that much, but the stock ride is actually pretty bad, all I've owned is SUVs and trucks. Go with the OME lift or the JBA lift. Either one will improve ride quality.

I have also setup my stereo system pretty well and its a great car to modify. Good luck with everything

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

16" would be the smallest wheel size, 15's won't fit over the brake caliper... without a lift, and without performing the infamous "pinch weld mod", 235/75 or 245/70 with 16" wheels are about as big as you're going to get without rubbing. Just my :2cents:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:49 pm 
LOST Member

Won't the Crager Soft 8's (15") fit over the KK calipers? What backspace is required to make this work?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

When lifted
a 7 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing works well since its sits the tire/wheel out some to prevent rubbing on the sway bar etc. when turning tight......But not out so far that it will create issues with rubbing other places