It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nitto Terra Grappler AT?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I want to put these tires on my Liberty (it might take me a while), and wanted to know if anyone has used them on a pickup, or other vehicle, and how the tires performed. Thanks.

Kaboom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:06 am 
LOST Newbie

I have the 265/75/16 terra grappler on my 2.5" lifted KJ right now. They don't make any road noise, and the traction is great in the mud. They are really great driving on the road in a downpour storm. My KJ was scary to drive over 30mph through puddles with the stock tires, but the terragrapplers tear through the water like its not there.
Going to a 265 with the stock gears has killed my city mileage, but highway didn't change.
The tires seem to be wearing well. I did a backyard alignment job before installing them, and after 5000 miles and one rotation, there is no cupping or ramped tread blocks.
I keep them at 30 psi on the road and it offers about the same ride quality as the stock tires did. The 265 also fits fine on the stock aluminum rims without rubbing on my upper ball joint.
If you have any specific questions, reply back. I will try to post some pictures this week.
In case you didn't know, the 265/75/16 is the SMALLEST size made for the terragrappler. That could be why its not too popular in the KJ crowd yet. So many people are going with 245s and don't know about these tires.
Also pay attention to the fact that the E (3400lb@80psi) is only $1 more per tire than the D load (3000lb@65psi).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks. I'll be looking forward to the pictures.

Planning on the 285/75R-16 size, but will need a significant lift before tackling that project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ill let you judge by the pictures when I post them, but I really don't think the 285 at 32.6" diameter is going to work. I have a '02 prelowered 2wd, so I can get some more lift than most (no cv joints). I have the old style daystar 2.5, with the clevis spaced up 1/2". This nets 4 inches higher than the stock height.

I pounded out the pinch weld, and I have about 3/4" on the back side of the front tires. The front side is another story. I can't turn the steering wheel more than 1.5 turns left or right from center without rubbing the tires on the swaybar. I still have to use my dremel and cut out some fender around the fog light doors. (not having fog lights, I may cut off the whole door so there is never another rubbing problem.)

Prove me wrong, but without a major fender surgury and a SFA conversion, I just don't think the KJ can be lifted enough to install a 285 and still have a turning radius less than 100'.

Opening the rear glass with a 285 spare will also cause problems. With the 265s I had to space my spare out 2" and down 2" in order to open my glass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I suspect it will take a 4" lift to run the tire size I want. I know someone that drove the Superlift KJ (editor friend of mine), and he thinks that lift is going to be a good one. He was also the person that recommended the Nikko Terra Grappler AT tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:44 pm 
LOST Member

Is there a place where I could look at those tires online?

http://www.thechucklesstart.com/car/
Never put PowerTrax NoSlip with a Manual KJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:56 am 
LOST Newbie

http://www.nittotire.com/tires_terragrappler.asp
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?rcz=84062&rc=UTSINT&tpc=NITVA1&tp=Truck%2FSUV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:08 am 
LOST Member

You could also do like Superlift did with the Liberator and remove the wheel well linings and replace them with Rhino-lining.. .

CB w/ 4' Firestick mounted on Tire Carrier,
Full MOPAR Skids, RRO Diff guard, 'AllJ Boulder Bars, Rhino-lining applied to sides.
On-board Air (Superflow MV-50)