It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tire size with the intent of regearing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi LOST,

So, I've been mulling over getting the lift but have been waiting until I need new tires. Well the Liberty just failed PA inspection due to one tire being too worn on the inside tread. I have enough for the lift and a new set of tires, but would like to hear someone's opinion on what tire size to get with the specific intent of regearing to 4.10's in the future. This is my DD, so I'd like to regain some of the power after the bigger tires will put on.

A lot of what I've read on this site has been people going as big as possible, then regearing. But what tire diameter would be appropriate specifically for 4.10's? I've done a good bit of reading on the site and haven't seen this addressed. Also, I know about the regear calculators and they suggest just shy of 32"?!?! Is that right? I see most people run 265/70R16's, but they are about 31". Is that good/bad/acceptable.

For reference I'm running Moab rims and just talked to JBA about an Ironman or OME lift.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

-jordan

Post subject: Re: tire size with the intent of regearing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:47 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

245-75-16 are what most run
265-70-16 is about the same size just wider
I'd stay with those sizes any larger need more lift etc
If you want to go larger then have to regear but even with 4.10s,
32s (265-75-16s) are almost too big since you don't get all of the power back that you lost.
Lots of different discussions on here regarding regearing

Post subject: Re: tire size with the intent of regearing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rimmy wrote:
This is my DD, so I'd like to regain some of the power after the bigger tires will put on.

Stay stock,you will never gain back all the mpg's and only will gain back some by regearing.If you must lift and add bigger tires do not go any bigger then 245/70R16's and only run P metric tires as that size and type will impact mpg's the least.