It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Firestone Winterforce Review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

To start off, I have been a firm believer in dedicated snow tires if you live in snow country. They have an agressive tread, softer compounds, and are made for snow and ice.

My local chain had a deal this fall, buy 3, get one free. I had to jump into that deal. I got 4 245/70R16. My previous car, an AWD dodge caliber, had Dunlops on them, which were too small, obviously for the KJ. But, the rims fit with the removal of the hubcentric spacer for the smaller hubs of the Caliber. With the spacer removed, it was a perfect fit on the KJ, fairly tight around the hub.

I got to try them during the Blizzard of 2013 here in New England. Confidence with there tires were great. No problem doing the speed limit on snow, if traffic and visibility permitted. Tires had a slight increase in noise over the stock Goodyears that came with the vehicle when I bought it, but nothing too extreme.

I did manage to get stuck once, but not because of the tires. I tried going through an unplowed road that had a huge drift going across it. As you can tell, I was well on top of the snow, and the tires had nothing to grip. But, some heavy shoveling, I was able to back out. Looking at the picture, you can see a large space in my front wheel well. :banghead:

These tires do come with stud holes. I opted not to stud them, but if I lived where snow is a lot more frequent, that would be an option that I may do.

Overall, I would recommend these tires for you KJ or KK.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got a set of 4 ordered 12-24-2012, after a storm.They were installed 1-5-13, after they got lost in a different storm.:)
225-75-16 UV's on Nitro steel rims. We got snow 12 inches no problem. But my cooper AT's went through deeper when newer.I think they make more noise on dry pavement.Lost my confidence in the AT's and 1/2 the tread in them. I'll bolt my AT's back on in spring, till they're used up completely.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oh yea that's stuck is called high centered:). Try digging out a one ton,with the truck and plow high centered.