It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time to shop for new tires
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 am 
LOST Addict

I'm to the place where the set I bought not long after getting my Jeep is about done.

Time to start looking for something else. Before I was not lifted and got Hercules Terra Trac AT 245/70r16. they were good tires and did well in rain smow and off road that I do. Now I'm lifted with the basice OME stuff on my CRD. I'd like to get a bigger tire this time but noting crazy, I have never pounded the pinch weld everyone talks about or anything. I did have a little minor rub with the 245/70 rpre lift.

I'm looking at trying 245/75r16 on stock wheels. is this a good combanation with my lift ?

as for what tire I'm looking at a few possabilities for a set of 5 best price found so far mounted with all taxes and fees

same Hercules Terra Trac in 245/75 this time $809

Cooper Discoverer AT3 got 2 price quotes $915 and $856

Cooper Discover LSX @ NTB $900

Firestone Destnation AT $863

I

Post subject: Re: Time to shop for new tires
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Im running the AT3's on stock rims and Ive got nothing but good things to say about them.

But have you checked out the Goodyear Duratracs ?

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:46 pm 
LOST Member

I just picked up some 245/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM 3 weeks ago or so and I love them so far, I got all 4 mounted and balanced for $675 and with lifetime replacement plan, got a spare coming soon. Been off road once and they did great driven in snow now three times and all around a great tire in my opinion. I have them on stock wheels with 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers, only rubbing is on pinch welds, however if I didn't have spacers I would have a lot more rubbing.

- Boiler's Roof Rack - CRS Rock Rails - All J Cargo Tray
- Cobra 75WSXT - 4 LED Roof Lights - Bed Lined Bumpers/Fenders

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 am 
LOST Addict

I have to look are Hancook. I have heard good things about them as well but not to many dealers sell them in my area.

Vahelene- so you are lifted and still have rubbing with 245/75? have you pounded the pinch weld? I have not to mine and I suppose I need to look into how to do it maybe before getting tires.

I had some rub on the wheel well plastic liners and maybe the pinch weld with 245/70 before I was lifted. there much more room now under there... I didn't plan to use wheel spacers, where I am I will not pass anual state safety inspection if the tires stick out too far from the fender flairs.

John I have not looked are good year duratrac.. I kind of did not care for how the good year silent armor that was on it when I first bought the jeep handled in the rain with even more tread than my current Terra Tracs have, I had issues with no traction to pull out and fish tailing. that and friends that had Wrangler ST on and hated the traction and noise has caused me to shy away from Goodyear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mikey1273 wrote:
I have to look are Hancook. I have heard good things about them as well but not to many dealers sell them in my area.

Vahelene- so you are lifted and still have rubbing with 245/75? have you pounded the pinch weld? I have not to mine and I suppose I need to look into how to do it maybe before getting tires.

I had some rub on the wheel well plastic liners and maybe the pinch weld with 245/70 before I was lifted. there much more room now under there... I didn't plan to use wheel spacers, where I am I will not pass anual state safety inspection if the tires stick out too far from the fender flairs.

John I have not looked are good year duratrac.. I kind of did not care for how the good year silent armor that was on it when I first bought the jeep handled in the rain with even more tread than my current Terra Tracs have, I had issues with no traction to pull out and fish tailing. that and friends that had Wrangler ST on and hated the traction and noise has caused me to shy away from Goodyear.

The Duratracs are a favorite on this site. Im running the 245/75/16's with no lift and very minimal rubbing on one side. However the pinch welds have been pounded down and the fender well liners and bumpers trimmed and modified. My rubbing occurs when backing down a hill and turning the wheel to full lock to turn around. Thats with the AT3's which are 30.3" when new. Im running factory 7" wheels and no spacers. I had 8" wheels with 4" backspacing that rubbed bad with the same tires.

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:57 pm 
LOST Member

Yea I have minimal rub on my pinch welds just went i turn very sharp and brake or reverse i have OME HD lift. Haven't pounded them down yet but plan on it soon other than that I don't rub anywhere else but I have trimmed my front bumper before I got the 245/75 so not sure if there would have been additional rub if no trimming was done. I tried pounding my pinch welds last weekend but the hammer I had was a joke I picked up a mini sledge yesterday should do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

VAhlene wrote:
Yea I have minimal rub on my pinch welds just went i turn very sharp and brake or reverse i have OME HD lift. Haven't pounded them down yet but plan on it soon other than that I don't rub anywhere else but I have trimmed my front bumper before I got the 245/75 so not sure if there would have been additional rub if no trimming was done. I tried pounding my pinch welds last weekend but the hammer I had was a joke I picked up a mini sledge yesterday should do the trick.

Mine bent right over with a couple of whacks from a 3 lb ballpeen hammer. Didnt think it was all that hard. Maybe mine had some weak metal.

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:08 pm 
LOST Member

I think it was my hammer honestly. All I had was a small nailing hammer all my tools were else where so that was my only problem I picked up a 5lb hammer for free off Craigslist should help a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:13 pm 
LOST Addict

What was said about backing up and turning is where my 245/70's always rubbed before the lift and in the end I think my poor CRD was sagging good.

so it sounds like I'm not going to have much issue with 245/75 .

I dont want to sound dumb but what am I looking at to pound the pinch weld down? do I need to take off the tire? sorry for being dumb but is there a thread with pics on how to do it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

doesn't any one still like tread write

2002 Jeep Liberty KJ 245/75R16 BFG Tread Write MTGs OME / rancho lift
1999 Dodge Durango SXT 4X4V8
2012 Dodge Journey SXT 3.6 V6
South Florida Jeep Club (SFJC) Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:43 pm 
LOST Member

kingjeep wrote:
doesn't any one still like tread write

Ive had good luck with Treadwright but in all actuality, they aren't that great of a deal. By the time you factor shipping, you may as well just by new. Plus in my experience the TW tires are a softer compound and wear a little faster than virgin tire.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 pm 
LOST Member

mikey1273 wrote:
What was said about backing up and turning is where my 245/70's always rubbed before the lift and in the end I think my poor CRD was sagging good.

I dont want to sound dumb but what am I looking at to pound the pinch weld down? do I need to take off the tire? sorry for being dumb but is there a thread with pics on how to do it?

Here ya go, hope that helps
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=73900#p73900

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:30 am 
LOST Addict

VAhlene wrote:
mikey1273 wrote:

Here ya go, hope that helps
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=73900#p73900

Thanks that covers it well.... I wasn't sure the exact place it was but yeah it was what I thought already.

as for the tires I looked at hancook's site last night and the DaynaPro ATm looks like a good tire so I'm going to have to call a local dealer for a price. I still like the cooper AT3, those are the top 2 for now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:40 pm 
LOST Addict

one more question are you guys buying the passenger version or the light truck 10 ply tires? I'm seeing I can get both in several of the brands but the 10 ply is a heavier tire and $40-50 each more. one place told me the LT tire is better if you off road which I do but not often and nothing crazy. I have passenger tires now and they have been fine off road.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Get the C range 247/75 duratracs

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry