It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding a 5th TPMS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:29 pm 
LOST Addict

My KK came with the doughnut spare. For a full sized spare I found a matching rim at a junkyard that also had the tire pressure sensor attached. My tech will reset it when he installs the new tire.

Question: will the Jeep's computer be smart enough to recognize that there are now 5 TPMS sensors instead of 4, or do I need to have the computer flashed with the StarScan at a Jeep dealer to tell it so?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Adding a 5th TPMS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know but please post up what you do.

Post subject: Re: Adding a 5th TPMS
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's automatic, don't pay for him to reset it. The new system doesn't read the spare anyway. There was some confusion when Chrysler included full sized spares. The spare's pressure would trip the alarm and they would take it in for service because all of the tires were properly inflated. It was a nuisance so from what I was told they stopped reading it.
That said, I put one on mine and the jeep read it without a problem.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:50 am 

I recently had to replace the TPMS on my spare due to the stem breaking off. I bought a new VDO brand TPS sensor from O'Rielly's, part no. SE57772. I installed it in my tire and rode around for several days hoping the computer would pick up the new TPMS since it was working fine before it got broke. No such luck, held spare tire low warning everytime I started up and drove off. :banghead:
How to fix: Went to the dealer who sold me the Jeep last year, who is now a Nissan dealer (was a Dodge Jeep dealer for many years up until a few years ago), he pulled out a tool and went to every tire and read a code that was being emitted by each TPMS and wrote down each number. It was a long about 10 digit number. He then hooked up his old Chrysler Dodge Jeep DRB tool and pulled up the TPMS section and checked all the numbers listed versus the ones he had wrote down. Of course four numbers matched and one did not (the one in the spare that I replaced), he changed the number to the new one and saved and wallah no more spare tire low pressure alarms. :BANANA: :pepper:
He also did not charge me for this service, so I gave him a tip for his help. Great to have a good dealer friend close by!!!! :-)r

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:59 pm 
LOST Addict

I did this recently, Lauren. Put a TPMS sensor on my forum-acquired full size spare, then went ahead and did a 5 tire rotation with no trouble.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
I recently had to replace the TPMS on my spare due to the stem breaking off. I bought a new VDO brand TPS sensor from O'Rielly's, part no. SE57772. I installed it in my tire and rode around for several days hoping the computer would pick up the new TPMS since it was working fine before it got broke. No such luck, held spare tire low warning everytime I started up and drove off. :banghead:
How to fix: Went to the dealer who sold me the Jeep last year, who is now a Nissan dealer (was a Dodge Jeep dealer for many years up until a few years ago), he pulled out a tool and went to every tire and read a code that was being emitted by each TPMS and wrote down each number. It was a long about 10 digit number. He then hooked up his old Chrysler Dodge Jeep DRB tool and pulled up the TPMS section and checked all the numbers listed versus the ones he had wrote down. Of course four numbers matched and one did not (the one in the spare that I replaced), he changed the number to the new one and saved and wallah no more spare tire low pressure alarms. :BANANA: :pepper:
He also did not charge me for this service, so I gave him a tip for his help. Great to have a good dealer friend close by!!!! :-)r

I'm curious why they had to replace the sensor because of a broken valve stem. They should be two seperate pieces. My new rims have new stems and old sensors.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Glad it worked for you, Gage. Same here, I added a 5th and it worked right away.

Ted and WWDiesel, the old 2008 TPMS were one piece and all metal, and the valve stem isn't serviceable by itself. The valve stems rust and break off; it was a bad design. I only have 2 of the originals left, as 3 have broken within the last year. The new part that superseded it has a black rubber valve stem and cap.

I got OEM replacement parts, so there was no need to reset the system. The Jeep's computer recognized them within a minute or two. Once I started driving, the tire light went out.

The only bummer is how expensive they are to replace!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:51 pm 

Ted15 wrote:
I'm curious why they had to replace the sensor because of a broken valve stem. They should be two seperate pieces. My new rims have new stems and old sensors.

The metal part that sticks through the rim broke off so the whole unit had to be replaced. It was my fault, I backed into an object and broke it! :(

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:10 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
Glad it worked for you, Gage. Same here, I added a 5th and it worked right away.

Ted and WWDiesel, the old 2008 TPMS were one piece and all metal, and the valve stem isn't serviceable by itself. The valve stems rust and break off; it was a bad design. I only have 2 of the originals left, as 3 have broken within the last year. The new part that superseded it has a black rubber valve stem and cap.

I got OEM replacement parts, so there was no need to reset the system. The Jeep's computer recognized them within a minute or two. Once I started driving, the tire light went out.

I'm embarrassed to say what they charged me to do it at the dealership. I prob should have taken it to a tire shop. I think it was $160 total. :banghead:

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Gageraid wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

I'm embarrassed to say what they charged me to do it at the dealership. I prob should have taken it to a tire shop. I think it was $160 total. :banghead:

But this is really cool news are you guys saying for about 50$ and the cost of taking the spare to the tire store and having them mount it that we can keep track of the air in the spare to. And are you saying that a stock liberty comes with 4 of them or is that a option that I would need to see if I have.

2012 KK Sport Rescue Green, Front Tow Hook Receiver Mod W/Stud Plates, DE State Park Surf Permit, Carr Super Hoops Steps, Reese Hitch #37042 Multi fit, 3/8 Clevis lift, Plasti Dip front grill & Modified Headlight covers,

Would rather be driving my Jeep on the Beach and I'm getting closer, lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:10 pm 
LOST Addict

The tire sensors are standard equipment on all liberties. If you have a compact spare you have 4 and if you have a full sized spare you have 5. If you upgrade to a full sized spare you can add a 5th. If you have the fancy instrument cluster with the EVIC, you can see each tire's individual air pressure on the dash. If you have the sport model like me, you'll just have a tire light that comes on if one of them gets low, and you'll have to manually check to see which tire is low.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates