It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BFG AT... Who is runing them?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

I am looking to replace the tires on my CRD. The Michelin LTX M/S are getting pretty thin. Since Michelin discontinued them, going to the newer LTX M/S2 (they no longer have the raised white letters in the size that I want... which is stock size...) I am looking for something else. I live in PA, do mostly highway driving, but do go offroad for work with this thing. It sees snow covered roads, gravel/dirt roads that can get a little muddy... no deep mud. I am wondering how noisy they are? How well do they wear? Will it dump my MPG as some have "claimed?" The LTX M/S worked great for everything I put it through. Never got stuck on or off road...

I was also considering Cooper Discoverer AT3, General Grabber HTS, Cooper Discoverer HT (though I can't seem to find these... they look at lot like my LTX M/S).

Post subject: Re: BFG AT... Who is runing them?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:22 am 
LOST Member

Depending on what size you run, you could also consider the General Grabber AT2. It's almost identical to the BFG at a fraction of the cost. Most people say they do better in mud than the BFGs. I've had 2 sets now and get great traction in anything. I also live in PA. 8)

245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

LetFreedomRing wrote:
Depending on what size you run, you could also consider the General Grabber AT2. It's almost identical to the BFG at a fraction of the cost. Most people say they do better in mud than the BFGs. I've had 2 sets now and get great traction in anything. I also live in PA. 8)

How's the noise level? I can get a hell of a deal on new BFG AT's which is one reason I am looking at them. I have been pretty happy with Michelin products and have run their products on pretty much all of my vehicles. BFG is owned by Michelin. I looked at the Generals. A buddy has the Grabber HTS on his 08 Mercedes ML320CDI and likes them. Seems he does not get good life out of them... Maybe 35-40k though...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

LetFreedomRing wrote:

I need new tires too. I was considering the BFG's until I saw the price of the General Grabbers. It's nice to hear they're a good tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:46 pm 
LOST Member

Guys, I had the Hankook ATM's on the red CRD. It was unstoppable in snow, stopped great on wet roads, has raised white letters, with a negligible noise level. They were a good price too! One of the 4 wheel mags did a comparison and they were voted a best buy. I think they compared it to the BFG A/T and the Nitto.

I have the Firestone Destination A/T on the one I have now. I think they *might* be a touch quieter than others, however I don't think they stop as well on wet asphalt. When these are thin I will be buying the Hankooks for this CRD too.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

I got a set of BFG AT KO's for about $540.00/shipped after the discounts. I probably won't install them for another month or so...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:49 am 
LOST Addict

I had bfg ATKOs on my 02 KJ and loved and hated them. I am out in the desert and when I sold the KJ I had roughly 75k miles on them and they still had some life left. I rotated them every 3-3500 miles and rotated in my spare. They weren't too noisy on the road except when you needed to rotate them. Milage dropped a bit but I had a LOT of extra weight with my bumpers and gear. I think, if memory serves me, I got around 15.9-16.5 mpg. Mind you I did a good amount of 75mph driving. Mine were E and over kill but if you did D they shouldn't be too bad.
Why I disliked them, when it rained I had poor traction but the roads here never truly get rid of road oil. I also had a couple issues offroad with poor traction. Generally in sandy or washes.
I would however buy them again, especially if I had the KJ.
Hope that helps a bit.

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

E was all that was available in my stock size, which I wanted to stick with. My current Michelin LTX M/S are LT tires and are E rated. Too bad they went to the new M/S2 without the raised white letters in my size, I would have gotten those...