It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 91-99 Wrangler Wheel fit KJ?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've looked all over and searched these forums, cant come up with a concrete answer:

Will the 15x8 aluminum rims from 91-99 wranglers fit the liberty?

I know the bolt pattern is the same, I need to know about brake caliper clearance as well as the backspacing. Im looking for 4.5" bs

thanks

Post subject: Re: 91-99 Wrangler Wheel fit KJ?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:05 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

No they will not only ones that fit are the Rubicon Moabs
15 inch aluminum will not fit over the calipers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:59 am 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:

So do the Alcoas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

thanks Tom. Ive read sooo many posts and threads about wheel size choices, and cannot discern who's word is best to go with, except yours...

Now, if I choose to go 8" wide wheel, what is the best backspacing? My research tells me its 4.5" bs.

Here is the thing, I have the stock KJ rims (16x7) alloys on my jeep, with 1" spacers. Never did like the idea of spacers tho. I like the way the wheels sit tho, and there is no rubbing.
I want to have the same wheel stance, so Im thinking that a stock wheel with 5.5 bs and a 1" spacer comes out to a 4.5" bs.

How would I convert this to an 8" wheel, with the same stance? Would the bs be different/less?

thanks

tommudd wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Rich nice ride! Whats the bs of your wheels?

And where did you get that trailer/tent setup? thats badda$$!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:39 pm 
LOST Member

Wheels are the same dimension as the MOAB wheels, just far more rare. With 245/75-16 Hankook ATMs I only get rubbing when the rear axle is fully stuffed, and a touch from time to time on the plastic covering the pinch weld. None of it has been bad enough to actually do anything about.

The trailer is a Japan bring-back, very similar to the US M416 and Canadian M101. I constructed the topper out of 1" square tube with two risers, similar to a bike rack that the Mombassa RTT bolts to. The trailer is used on longer trips (5 day+), but currently building a roof rack to carry our stuff up top.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:07 pm 

KJActionFigure wrote:
thanks Tom. Ive read sooo many posts and threads about wheel size choices, and cannot discern who's word is best to go with, except yours...

Now, if I choose to go 8" wide wheel, what is the best backspacing? My research tells me its 4.5" bs.

Here is the thing, I have the stock KJ rims (16x7) alloys on my jeep, with 1" spacers. Never did like the idea of spacers tho. I like the way the wheels sit tho, and there is no rubbing.
I want to have the same wheel stance, so Im thinking that a stock wheel with 5.5 bs and a 1" spacer comes out to a 4.5" bs.

How would I convert this to an 8" wheel, with the same stance? Would the bs be different/less?

thanks

tommudd wrote:

16X7 with 4 inches of back spacing works best with a lift
16X8 is too wide for most all tires we can run, plus say like a MOAB you rin it with a spacer then you'll have issues with rubbing on the flares etc.
16X8 with 5 inches of back spacing sits it right out to the edge same as a 16X7 with 4 backspacing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I want to get away from using spacers, I think this is why I go through brake rotors every 6 months...even good quality ones get warped fairly soon. I have a stack of 4 sets that I rotate, and get machined, rotate etc. All other parts of the underpinnings are tight....

Is there a 16x8 with 5" bs?

also, wouldnt the BS be different with every type/design/brand of wheel? depending on thickness of the wheel center area, the way the lug holes are designed etc?

I went to a tire store to inquire about different wheels that were specific to the KJ. 16x8. Each wheel choice had a different offset, one was 27, one was 1, one was 0, one was 12.5.

Or, could the offset be different, but the bs remains the same?

tommudd wrote:
KJActionFigure wrote:

16X8 is too wide for most all tires we can run, plus say like a MOAB you rin it with a spacer then you'll have issues with rubbing on the flares etc.
16X8 with 5 inches of back spacing sits it right out to the edge same as a 16X7 with 4 backspacing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:22 pm 
LOST Member

http://www.4wheelparts.com/tire-wheel-p ... acing.aspx

Since the bead thickness can be different, there will be variations in backspace vs offset between wheels and between brands.

Best thing to do is try them on.

I will get the exact BS on my Alcoas, but I believe they are 16x8 4.5", but I also see websites saying 4.75" and 5".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:11 pm 

KJActionFigure wrote:
I want to get away from using spacers, I think this is why I go through brake rotors every 6 months...even good quality ones get warped fairly soon. I have a stack of 4 sets that I rotate, and get machined, rotate etc. All other parts of the underpinnings are tight....

Is there a 16x8 with 5" bs?

also, wouldnt the BS be different with every type/design/brand of wheel? depending on thickness of the wheel center area, the way the lug holes are designed etc?

I went to a tire store to inquire about different wheels that were specific to the KJ. 16x8. Each wheel choice had a different offset, one was 27, one was 1, one was 0, one was 12.5.

Or, could the offset be different, but the bs remains the same?

tommudd wrote:
KJActionFigure wrote:

Moabs are 16X8 with 5 inches of back spacing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/tire-wheel-package-guide/wheel-offset-backspacing.aspx

Since the bead thickness can be different, there will be variations in backspace vs offset between wheels and between brands.

I will get the exact BS on my Alcoas, but I believe they are 16x8 4.5", but I also see websites saying 4.75" and 5".

Beads on the tires would make no difference on the wheel
Also thickness of the wheel would also not make a difference since they are built in with what ever backspacing they want, not thickness of material

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:35 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
Rich wrote:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/tire-wheel-package-guide/wheel-offset-backspacing.aspx

Beads on the tires would make no difference on the wheel
Also thickness of the wheel would also not make a difference since they are built in with what ever backspacing they want, not thickness of material

Sorry, used bead rather than flange.

Backspace is measured from the outside of the wheel's inner flange to the mounting face.

Backspace is measured from the center line of the wheel to the mounting face.

Wheel width is measured from bead to bead.

...and this is all compounded by different manufacturers use different standards and different rounding to report their numbers and ET vs BS.

The absolute measurement would be BS, independent on material/etc, but this is only good for the inside of the wheel hitting hard parts. Outside of the wheel contacting hard parts, tire location in relation to wheel mounting surface, and how far that wheel is going to hang outside fenders is all relative.